Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Natural disasters and the American Spirit

RavenHawk

9 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

That's my bad for half paying attention lol 2005 is not exactly 2008 :blink:

You arent alone 

Twitter Reacts To Trump Supporters Who Mistakenly Blamed Obama For Hurricane Katrina

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

I think it's become almost a knee-jerk reaction now for people to blame the "other side". Someone brings up a Trump policy, someone else immediately references Obama. It's a constant tit-for-tat game that is bound to make us all sick of politics.
Remember when you could have a normal conversation about Government and both sides would laugh at the end and order another drink? When did political beliefs become a part of our identity? 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2017 at 2:46 PM, Dark_Grey said:

Purposeful inaction? Trump seems to have handled it well

Do you have any examples? I've been watching this closely since the Berkley riots but I don't recall any public support for Neo-Nazis. If you want examples of death threats (and attempted murders,) coming from the fringe Left, I got plenty.

Exactly. And at the same time we see all kinds of public support for bat weilding commies. They have been openly supported. We renounce both sides, and suddenly we are sticking up for nazis cause we dare mention the other side is just as bad. It's amazing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Exactly. And at the same time we see all kinds of public support for bat weilding commies. They have been openly supported. We renounce both sides, and suddenly we are sticking up for nazis cause we dare mention the other side is just as bad. It's amazing. 

The other side WASNT AND ISNT just as bad.

The other side doesnt believe people of a different skin tone are sub human.  The other side doesnt keep people from getting jobs, houses or education based on skin color.

Yes what Trump did and what anyone supporting what he did are doing is sticking up for nazis. The racist scum themselves believe that to be the case. That in and of itself should be enough to make you question where you're sitting on the issue. 

Is it wrong to address the violent things ANTIFA has done, no of course not, it is however wrong to do it in a manner which causes nazis to celebrate. 

• Like 1

On 11/09/2017 at 8:16 AM, Farmer77 said:

So perhaps we should just recognize that the fringe will always be nuttier than most , rather than pouncing on everything the fringe says and casting everyone on the other side in the light of those comments 

and perhaps you should follow your own advice and stop elevating Nazi type groups as important and influential enough to control
how you respond to situations just in case they try and make political capital out of it - 

(for example in your previous post)

• Like 1

Just now, bee said:

and perhaps you should follow your own advice and stop elevating Nazi type groups as important and influential enough to control
how you respond to situations just in case they try and make political capital out of it - 

I assure you my jaw had hit the floor at the racist whataboutism flowing from Trump's mouth long before I ever read about the nazi's celebratory responses. 

12 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

especially as some leaders and participants in both groups could easily be plants to foment discord and division -

divide and rule and all that -

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bee said:

WTF are you talking about???? I don't even believe real nazi groups in this country exist. Not in any real numbers. Certainly not enough to influence anything. 

How I respond to situations like what? Saying people have a right to have a protest without being violently confronted? I'd say that about any group. That doesn't even come close to saying I support it. 

I support freedom of speech for everyone. And see any violent challenge to that as a enemy of liberty. And something to be stomped out as quickly as possible. I'd say the same exact thing for Hillary supporters. It certainly doesn't mean I support the message. 

You used to feel the same way. Now you have let what might only be a four year term cloud your judgment to the point where you actually support violent communist. Actually call them the good guys. You'd Permanently change How we define freedom, and let violent scum take over for a very temporary thing. 

You have allowed others to effect who you are. You have let them take away your very principles. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

WTF are you talking about???? I don't even believe real nazi groups in this country exist. Not in any real numbers. Certainly not enough to influence anything

You quoted Bee but I think you meant to point that at me . "Nazi groups" that march in the streets with bats and shields like idiots arent the real problem, its those who hold the same beliefs and carry them throughout their daily lives that are. Those people were encouraged by Trump and I promise those people are real and influence plenty. 

4 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I support freedom of speech for everyone. And see any violent challenge to that as a enemy of liberty. And something to be stomped out as quickly as possible. I'd say the same exact thing for Hillary supporters. It certainly doesn't mean I support the message. 

Again pointing out what ANTIFA has done that is bad isnt a bad thing. Equating them to racists IS the problem. The two arent comparable, doing so only makes Trump and anyone else who does look like a person with no real world experience at best, a racist at worst.

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

You used to feel the same way. Now you have let what might only be a four year term cloud your judgment to the point where you actually support violent communist. Actually call them the good guys.

Lets not forget the racists were violent in Charlottesvile BEFORE ANTIFA showed up and they used that violence against people like clergymen and women who were also there to exercise their right to free speech. 

Hmmm lets see violent racists or violent anti racists?????? YUP the violent racists are the bad guys in that scenario and yup the violent anti racists are the good guys.

That's part of why this is so shocking. It seems like this is one thing all human beings should be able to agree on without controversy. 

2 hours ago, bee said:

Quoting just to get your attention. Sorry Bee, I meant to Quote Farm. Don't know how I did that.

• Like 2

Politics aside I think the American people have shown that they can pull together when times get hard

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

You quoted Bee but I think you meant to point that at me . "Nazi groups" that march in the streets with bats and shields like idiots arent the real problem, its those who hold the same beliefs and carry them throughout their daily lives that are. Those people were encouraged by Trump and I promise those people are real and influence plenty. 

Who are these people Farm? Where are they? What exactly are they doing? If this is real, Id be right there with you, and for Gods sake I hope you know that. Soon as Trump was elected supposedly we had racist hate crimes going on all over the place, only to see every single one of them proven that the victim faked it. They cant even get a few ligit hate crimes Farm, not real ones. If there are large groups of people who believe what you say they do, they are keeping it to themselves. As they should.

Again pointing out what ANTIFA has done that is bad isnt a bad thing. Equating them to racists IS the problem. The two arent comparable, doing so only makes Trump and anyone else who does look like a person with no real world experience at best, a racist at worst.

Lets not forget the racists were violent in Charlottesvile BEFORE ANTIFA showed up and they used that violence against people like clergymen and women who were also there to exercise their right to free speech. 

How is saying they are as bad a racist a problem? Dude you really have no idea who these people are. Check out Jordan Petersons videos on post millennialism. These people are at war with our entire way of life. They are literally the modern day Nazi.

Hmmm lets see violent racists or violent anti racists?????? YUP the violent racists are the bad guys in that scenario and yup the violent anti racists are the good guys.

That's part of why this is so shocking. It seems like this is one thing all human beings should be able to agree on without controversy. 

If they were just anti racist, I might agree, though Id still defend free speech. These people are much more then anti racist. They are anti everything they don't believe and openly plan to violently overthrow it all. Heck they carry signs telling you when they are done destroying conservatives they are coming for the liberals.

So on one hand we have a small handful of racists who wield no power, and have barely stuck there heads out of their holes, and on the other we have violent commies who want to destroy everything, and are in massive numbers all over the western world. Your right, they are not comparable. Not even close. 

Just now, preacherman76 said:

If they were just anti racist, I might agree, though Id still defend free speech. These people are much more then anti racist. They are anti everything they don't believe and openly plan to violently overthrow it all. Heck they carry signs telling you when they are done destroying conservatives they are coming for the liberals.

Again though man context matters. To go on a diatribe about ANTIFA when it was racists who descended on a town with shields and bats while chanting racist slogans is simply idiotic. Like i said its either a symptom of zero real world experience or just flat out racist sympathy. 

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

So on one hand we have a small handful of racists who wield no power

Super easy for someone who doesnt deal with racism on a daily basis to make that claim.  Perhaps that really cuts to the core of the issue. Either you believe that racism is real and causes real problems or you dont and those that do believe it is real saw the problem with Trumps response and the others didnt. 

5 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

on the other we have violent commies who want to destroy everything, and are in massive numbers all over the western world. Your right, they are not comparable. Not even close. 

Yes those violent commies who murdered a woman in charlottesville are horrible peo....wait , whats thats right it was the racists who ACTUALLY murdered someone.   

You do understand that ANTIFA isnt a global organization right? I think there has been a serious loss of perspective from Trump supporters on this. 

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Again though man context matters. To go on a diatribe about ANTIFA when it was racists who descended on a town with shields and bats while chanting racist slogans is simply idiotic. Like i said its either a symptom of zero real world experience or just flat out racist sympathy. 

First they didn't "decend on a town" They organized a protest, even getting the proper permits. I wonder how did the people who got those permits go from die hard 0bama supporters, to kkk Nazi's? You are being played. And they came prepared to defend themselves cause ANTIFA had already been violently interrupting letting anyone who isn't them speak all over the country for over a year.

Super easy for someone who doesnt deal with racism on a daily basis to make that claim.  Perhaps that really cuts to the core of the issue. Either you believe that racism is real and causes real problems or you dont and those that do believe it is real saw the problem with Trumps response and the others didnt. 

I believe if there were real examples of mass racism, it would be evident for all to see. Sure you are still gonna get some individual examples, but its hardly a wide scale problem. Heck its the left that has been directly trying to cause race war since 0bama was elected. You are seeing things that just are not there Farm. Just because you feel like this is happening, or because CNN tells you it is, doesn't make it so. If it is such a big problem, point me in the direction it is, so I can see it for myself. 99.8% of white people are terrified of being labeled a racist. Heck you wanna talk about racism, lets look at racism against white people, which is openly happening, and pushed by the main stream.

Yes those violent commies who murdered a woman in charlottesville are horrible peo....wait , whats thats right it was the racists who ACTUALLY murdered someone.   

You do understand that ANTIFA isnt a global organization right? I think there has been a serious loss of perspective from Trump supporters on this. 

Are you saying I support the idiot who killed that women. Hang em. But that was one guy. One example. And the person he killed was white.

I understand that every antifa video from anywhere in the western world is exactly the same. Even if they are just protesting a prayer meeting, or protesting a mild conservative speaker. Violent lunatic's who's enemy is freedom is ALWAYS the theme.  

2 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

No, they are both "bad guys".  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2017 at 10:00 AM, ChaosRose said:

I think it deserves mentioning, too, that although I don't agree with what the professor said...

It seems to me that when neo-Nazis spout off, the right is like...oh free speech! 

When a professor spouts off (and I'm not surprised he did because of where he lives), they'd probably like him lynched. Certainly fired. Although we live in an age where even the President doesn't have to think before he tweets. 

These things go in cycles. Free speech is the ally of the minority. In America currently the right is more supportive to free speech because they are the minority in the fields of academic, corporate environment and news media/entertainment media.

The test of a person true commitment to free speech as a principle is to see how they treats the people they disagree with. Does one give you a platform to voice your opinion though it is contrary to his? Or try to shout you down by any means?

4 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Politics aside I think the American people have shown that they can pull together when times get hard

We do come together in our time of need.