Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghengis Khans' tomb

Hanslune

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20170717-why-genghis-khans-tomb-cant-be-found

Genghis Khan is simply Mongolia’s greatest hero. The West recalls only what he conquered, but Mongolians remember what he created. His empire connected East and West, allowing the Silk Road to flourish. His rule enshrined the concepts of diplomatic immunity and religious freedom. He established a reliable postal service and the use of paper money. Genghis Khan didn’t just conquer the world, he civilised it.

Should his tomb be hunted for even though many Mongolians don't want it found?

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

I think it should be left in peace.  The first I'd ever heard of his wish for a secret burial was in a well-researched piece of fiction by Clive Cussler.  A thorough description of the approach to his burial and the horses riding over the spot to hide away any traces of his tomb was included.  It was called TREASURE OF KHAN.  

• Like 2

I agree.  Leave it well alone.  For anyone interested in the subject, there is a really good read in the five books series on the life of Genghis Khan (fiction based on the framework of the known historical facts) by Conn Iggulden.  Would recommend them to anyone.  Fascinating man and time in history.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susanc241 said:

I agree.  Leave it well alone.  For anyone interested in the subject, there is a really good read in the five books series on the life of Genghis Khan (fiction based on the framework of the known historical facts) by Conn Iggulden.  Would recommend them to anyone.  Fascinating man and time in history.

Amazing books for sure, the research alone must have taken forever.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hanslune said:

Josh Gates made a TV show about his visit to Genghis Khan's tomb.  So apparently the hunt is almost over.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X85cIzdi7E

Edited by atalante
  • Like 1

Well I think for history purposes it would be GREAT to find this tomb. 

However, half of me feels that we should let it remain a secret - undoubtly im sure it will be found at some point with the advancement of all kinds of techonolgy. Mr Khan was what most great leaders of his time were. Awesome from his country and not so great for the ones he invaded lol.

Peace all

• Like 1

2 hours ago, atalante said:

Josh Gates made a TV show about his visit to Genghis Khan's tomb.  So apparently the hunt is almost over.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X85cIzdi7E

That was fascinating thanks. 

It's a shame it can't be investigated, just another example of ancient beliefs holding back our understanding.

44 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Get out there, Hanslune, and start digging. That's what I say.

I'll even buy you the shovel.

I'm more of a trowel man myself with the occasional - but judicious - use of PE-4, or a bulldozer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Susanc241 said:

you're such a nice person. If only Genghis was just as understanding and compassionate as you then I wouldn't advocate finding the fiends tomb and putting his remains in a museum. 

20 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

you're such a nice person. If only Genghis was just as understanding and compassionate as you then I wouldn't advocate finding the fiends tomb and putting his remains in a museum. 

And he would be a fiend because...

jmccr8 

1 hour ago, Hanslune said:

I'm more of a trowel man myself with the occasional - but judicious - use of PE-4, or a bulldozer.

What ever happened to the good old dynamite way of doing things.:lol:

jmccr8 

11 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

And he would be a fiend because...

jmccr8 

Ahhh... the man with numbers behind his name. give your u a clue... he was not a terribly nice guy. The rest you should read up on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Ahhh... the man with numbers behind his name. give your u a clue... he was not a terribly nice guy. The rest you should read up on.

And that is all you got, maybe one should look at the rest of the kings and emperors that were around at the same time in history and show me how he was worse than the rest.

jmccr8 

Just now, jmccr8 said:

And that is all you got, maybe one should look at the rest of the kings and emperors that were around at the same time in history and show me how he was worse than the rest.

jmccr8 

I don't recall suggesting that 'all those kings and emperors' should be treated any differently. 

44 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

What ever happened to the good old dynamite way of doing things.:lol:

jmccr8 

We did use small amounts of explosive once to shatter olive tree stumps to make it easier to get them out of Cypriote site - but that was frown on by higher ups, lol

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

jmccr8 

He was tad more successful than the majority. Conquering people tends to gain you a bad rep.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:
3 minutes ago, Hanslune said:

He was tad more successful than the majority. Conquering people tends to gain you a bad rep.

That's true but to hold a grudge this long seems a little much especially if Risky's ancestors weren't involved.:(

jmccr8 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hopefully they find him and build a museum at the site or in the capital, UB.

I would suspect that GK would have wanted a very simple burial - but his men might have embellished it a bit.

Edited by Hanslune
  • Like 1

Just now, Hanslune said:

Hopefully they find him and build a museum at the site or in the capital, UB.

Yes if they have to find him the site should be protected and it would be interesting what honors they buried him with.

jmccr8 

• Like 1

Just now, jmccr8 said:

Yes if they have to find him the site should be protected and it would be interesting what honors they buried him with.

jmccr8 

Depends on what the Mongolians would want to do. Something like what the French did for Napoleon who was responsible for twenty plus years of war and 3.5 million casualties.

1280px-Tomb_of_Napoleon,_Paris_7_October

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanslune said:

Depends on what the Mongolians would want to do. Something like what the French did for Napoleon who was responsible for twenty plus years of war and 3.5 million casualties.

1280px-Tomb_of_Napoleon,_Paris_7_October

I am not all that knowlegable about burial customs but when I see what some of the Asian sites were like it does make me wonder especially for someone like Gengis. I would think that his people would go to great length to show their pride and respect.

jmccr8 

23 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

I am not all that knowlegable about burial customs but when I see what some of the Asian sites were like it does make me wonder especially for someone like Gengis. I would think that his people would go to great length to show their pride and respect.

jmccr8 

I'm not either but we can speculate based on what is know of other Mongol burials

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_burial#History_and_development

http://rbedrosian.com/Boyle/Boyle_1965_Horse_Sacrifice.pdf

http://www.jstor.org/stable/41926873?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents