Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Random beliefs.

nephili

I think everyone has some of these. Some aren't even relevant to a religion, but people sometimes live their lives by these.

My mom believes that setting a book on top of a bible is a sin. My dad used to believe passing through a red door would lead to bad events. My aunt believes the spirit of my dead cousin is her guardian angel and attributes ALL good events to her. My best friend believes that a cross necklace she wears protects her and won't leave her house without wearing it. Another friend believes if she doesn't pray before eating the next day will be a terrible day for her.

One of mine is, and I have no idea why, if I am in a cemetery and don't read the name on headstones I pass, it's disrespectful to the person buried and they will petition to have bad things happen. And I already know it's irrational, so I don't need that pointed out.

That is the kind of thing I am asking about. Things that don't make sense, but people believe it anyway.

What are some random beliefs, religious or not, that you or someone else has?

Edited by nephili
  • Like 3

Are these the new words now "random beliefs" for what has always been known as "superstition" ?

• Like 3

Superstition is a weird thing.  Magpies, black cats, ladders, knocking on wood. The list is extensive.  For more personal quirks, someone wears red socks one day and something wonderful happens so they have to wear red socks ever after.  As someone who is not superstitious I do find it hard to understand the compulsions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Are these the new words now "random beliefs" for what has always been known as "superstition" ?

Ok. Random "superstition". Especially religious affiliated "superstition".

Do you have any?

3 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

Superstition is a weird thing.  Magpies, black cats, ladders, knocking on wood. The list is extensive.  For more personal quirks, someone wears red socks one day and something wonderful happens so they have to wear red socks ever after.  As someone who is not superstitious I do find it hard to understand the compulsions.

I'm not usually superstitious, but I have a couple. And my Catholic family has many. Some are so bizarre it's hard to tell how they started.

Edited by nephili
  • Like 1

I believe I can fly....................

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, nephili said:

Ok. Random "superstition". Especially religious affiliated "superstition".

Do you have any?

No, i am not religious.

My father was not religious, but he was superstitious, more of a spiritual thing.

My gran was auperstitious...When a rabbit was being killed for dinner, she would close all her doors and shutters, to keep out the soul of the angry rabbit for being killed.

Also putting bread upside down was bad luck...not sure why, but she would go into one if you did not stand the bread up the right way.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

I believe I can fly....................

Ohhh MissJatti, that is not a superstition, now if you said "if i do not step on a blade of grass for a year, then i will be given the ability to fly"  then that could be classed as supertition, but the results tend to differ with the more conventional forms of superstition where the results can not be directly connected to ones belief, but only attributed if they turn our well.

• Like 1

I can't say that I have ever been superstitious which for me has been a good thing given some of the crazy adventures I have had the pleasure of having. I suppose if I was superstitious it would have curtailed my sense of curiosity to some degree which is likely why I didn't have very many partners in crime so to speak.:lol:

jmccr8 

• Like 2

The only one I have that I'm unapologetically militant about is that there are no bananas allowed on my boat. It's an old navy superstition, and despite knowing 100% that things like "bad-luck charms" aren't real, I just can't bring myself to bring any on there, or allow anyone else to do so.

• Like 4

There was a ( I think Russian ? )  sect of 'Christianity' that believed man must obey God's laws while he walked upon the face of the earth .

So they went down in caves and had decadent orgies and p*** ups ... then  came up 'on to the surface; and were 'good' again  :) 

Me ?   I believe we are all part of dream being had by a giant serpent curled up in the centre of the world (under Uluru )  - sleeping in water he took down there that came from 'the stars'  ( spat down by 'Milky Way '  snake . )

Rainbow Serpent Magic

Image result for Rainbow Python Snake

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Podo said:

The only one I have that I'm unapologetically militant about is that there are no bananas allowed on my boat. It's an old navy superstition, and despite knowing 100% that things like "bad-luck charms" aren't real, I just can't bring myself to bring any on there, or allow anyone else to do so.

Where did that come from ?  I would have thought bananas  ( and coconuts and any other sort of food ) would have been a good score when on a long sailing trip, in earlier times  ?

Not that I suggesting you do it ....  I  would follow Caps hunch  !        ( Friend thought their Cap was crazy on a trip from Perth to Tasmania across the Southern Ocean,  he took them "half way to Antarctica "   after leaving the Australian west coast ( a  bit of an exaggeration ... but they got frustrated about how far south he went  and made the trip too long  )   ...... 3 days of 40 foot swell sorted that out, at the end, they avoided being washed up  and shipwrecked  in the middle of nowhere, in the Great Australian Bight , by a few Km .

Not a good place to 'land a boat' 

Image result for coastluine great australian bight

• Like 1

Just now, back to earth said:

Where did that come from ?  I would have thought bananas  ( and coconuts and any other sort of food ) would have been a good score when on a long sailing trip, in earlier times  ?

Not that I suggesting you do it ....  I  would follow Caps hunch  !        ( Friend thought their Cap was crazy on a trip from Perth to Tasmania across the Southern Ocean,  he took them "half way to Antarctica "   after leaving the Australian west coast ( a  bit of an exaggeration ... but they got frustrated about how far south he went  and made the trip too long  )   ...... 3 days of 40 foot swell sorted that out, at the end, they avoided being washed up  and shipwrecked  in the middle of nowhere, in the Great Australian Bight , by a few Km .

Not a good place to 'land a boat'

It comes from the Caribbean, I've always been told, because the banana boats always capsized and sunk. And, as we all know, in the olden times correlation always equaled causation.

• Like 1

I see . I assume it had to do with the load ... and the 'expendability'   of local sailors .

Don't you dare tell me all the banana skins made the boat 'slip over  '  . 

Mmmmmm    ...   'banana boat '

Image result for  boat overloaded with bananas

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Podo said:

That is exactly what I mean. You know it isn't real, but it doesn't matter. And who even cares if it is real or not. I love hearing people's dos and don'ts of life.

I have never heard that one. Bananas on boats is great.

5 hours ago, Podo said:

There may be a basis to this.

No local in our area will allow bananas on their boat.  The rationale is that they have a scent which may be transferred to bait etc and reduce the catch because it acts as a deterrent to fish  There are other reasons, historically, that this may have developed 

If there is one food item that is despised by anglers all over Australia, it is bananas. 

Ask anyone about on-board catering for a day of fishing and the response is generally fairly relaxed, sandwiches, chips, chocolate – no worries, but definitely no bananas!

Historically, there are several reasons why bananas have been associated with bad luck on boats.  Firstly, on long voyages the ethylene released by bananas would cause all of the other fruits and vegetables to ripen and go rotten.  The crew would then go hungry.  Apparently during the Caribbean banana trade of the 1700s, wooden vessels had to move very fast so that the bananas reached their destination before they spoiled.  Travelling at such high speeds any fishermen on board had a hard time trolling lures or bait and subsequently returned with very few fish.

Sailing ships would sometimes stop in the tropics to pick up extra food and water while crossing the oceans.  The crates of bananas would carry a variety of unwanted guests such as snakes and venomous spiders.  After poisonous bites and disease spread throughout the crew, it was quickly determined that bananas were to blame.  Similarly, in the amazon, bananas farmers would occasionally be found dead in their small wooden boats with a load of bananas on board.  It was eventually discovered that tarantulas lived inside the freshly picked bunches. These are all very plausible situations.

Such is the stigma towards the humble banana that banana muffins, pictures of bananas, and even banana-boat sunscreen are all off limits. I discovered this while visiting the northern territory when my foam drink holder mysteriously went missing.   It had a picture of the big banana with my name written underneath, a souvenir gift from Coffs Harbour.

http://www.fishingaustralia.tv/post/there-is-something-fishy-about-bananas

it is interesting that as kids in the fifties we sent hours fishing often with banana sandwiches on board and caught  huge amounts of fish. Eg 60 king george whiting in 30 minutes in 3 feet of water with two anglers   Back then no one hd ever heard of this superstition and it has really only taken off in our area since the internet arrived  SOme people argue that it is the potassium in bananas which affects fishing To me over fishing has simply reduced the  success rate for fishermen and so the y have become more superstitious We never came home without enough fish to feed our family of 7 for a few meals and so never had to develop a rationale for failure

Edited by Mr Walker
  • Like 1

I dont have any superstitious beliefs  but i do think twice about a couple of things which may create practical hazards such as walking under a ladder with someone on it or opening an umbrella inside.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Walker said:

There may be a basis to this.

No local in our area will allow bananas on their boat.  The rationale is that they have a scent which may be transferred to bait etc and reduce the catch because it acts as a deterrent to fish  There are other reasons, historically, that this may have developed 

If there is one food item that is despised by anglers all over Australia, it is bananas. 

Ask anyone about on-board catering for a day of fishing and the response is generally fairly relaxed, sandwiches, chips, chocolate – no worries, but definitely no bananas!

Historically, there are several reasons why bananas have been associated with bad luck on boats.  Firstly, on long voyages the ethylene released by bananas would cause all of the other fruits and vegetables to ripen and go rotten.  The crew would then go hungry.  Apparently during the Caribbean banana trade of the 1700s, wooden vessels had to move very fast so that the bananas reached their destination before they spoiled.  Travelling at such high speeds any fishermen on board had a hard time trolling lures or bait and subsequently returned with very few fish.

Sailing ships would sometimes stop in the tropics to pick up extra food and water while crossing the oceans.  The crates of bananas would carry a variety of unwanted guests such as snakes and venomous spiders.  After poisonous bites and disease spread throughout the crew, it was quickly determined that bananas were to blame.  Similarly, in the amazon, bananas farmers would occasionally be found dead in their small wooden boats with a load of bananas on board.  It was eventually discovered that tarantulas lived inside the freshly picked bunches. These are all very plausible situations.

Such is the stigma towards the humble banana that banana muffins, pictures of bananas, and even banana-boat sunscreen are all off limits. I discovered this while visiting the northern territory when my foam drink holder mysteriously went missing.   It had a picture of the big banana with my name written underneath, a souvenir gift from Coffs Harbour.

http://www.fishingaustralia.tv/post/there-is-something-fishy-about-bananas

it is interesting that as kids in the fifties we sent hours fishing often with banana sandwiches on board and caught  huge amounts of fish. Eg 60 king george whiting in 30 minutes in 3 feet of water with two anglers   Back then no one hd ever heard of this superstition and it has really only taken off in our area since the internet arrived  SOme people argue that it is the potassium in bananas which affects fishing To me over fishing has simply reduced the  success rate for fishermen and so the y have become more superstitious We never came home without enough fish to feed our family of 7 for a few meals and so never had to develop a rationale for failure

Old Mr Laney , master fisherman (who we used to rent our family holiday cottage off  ) , forbid taking oranges on his boat   "The smell  will scare the fish away . "     <shrug>  ...   he always caught plenty though !

Oh yeah, Nephi ... I got my   'lucky training shoes'      ;) 

secret ....

Spoiler

Loose 'clogs'  ,   a favourite when  matching off with a newbie (in sword  and weapons practice ) ,  I can flick them  off, up into their face   just before I come in with a cut .  They are soft rubber ... the traditional ones in Japan are hardwood  ;) 

Yes,  ever the 'practicalist '  :) 

• Like 2

Growing up we used to say if.ur.left eye twitches its Good luck and if ur right eye twitches bad luck...

Imagiiiiiiiine my surprise when I was a kid when my tooth got infected and the nerves in my face reacted...by twitching....

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nephili said:

That is exactly what I mean. You know it isn't real, but it doesn't matter. And who even cares if it is real or not. I love hearing people's dos and don'ts of life.

I have never heard that one. Bananas on boats is great.

vader_NOOOO.jpg

Bananas on boats is BAD. BAD. BAD NEPHILI.

• Like 3

My turn!

I adamantly believe that whenever I see a dead opossum, bad luck will be coming. I changed my view of the dead opossum into being a bad luck maker to a bad luck warner. If I see an animal that I think might be an opossum, I will look away, hoping that I am adverting bad luck. The only way to avoid the bad luck from happening, is to see a dead raccoon. If the opossum is alive, I have to get as far away from it as possible, but it doesn't mean that there will be bad luck coming. This superstition only applies to me. I don't share the information to others, as, "Oh no! It's opossum, guys! We are all doomed!!" It just applies to me. I rationalize it as the opossum is a spirit guide who provides me warnings...with it's own demise.

The other belief I have is that if my palm starts to itch...I will receive a substantial amount of money in a few days. So far, it has always been accurate. It is always random money that I am not anticipating.

I think that I associate patterns with memorable events that happen at the same time. I am certain that bad luck occurs whether or not I see an opossum. I am also certain that I have received money or that I am ALLOWED to receive money, whether or not my palm itches. It is not a prerequisite. I think that these beliefs make me feel some predictability in life. 

• Like 1