Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wheelie bin could soon be a thing of the past

Still Waters

The familiar sight of a wheelie bin in a front garden could soon be a thing of the past, after a UK city installed underground bins for residents to use.

The complex system, which has been introduced in north west Cambridgeshire, sees steel bin chutes being set into the pavement before they are then fed into larger underground chambers.

When the chambers are full, a sensor is then set off to alert and trigger a collection lorry.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/going-underground-wheelie-bins-soon-thing-past-080451971.html

• Like 4

Oooo, I don't like the sound of that. :unsure2: First thing that sprang to mind was smell, I can't believe it will be completely contained. The removal of bags will be awkward, I should think ..... bags ripping .... more fumes from debris that's been sitting in the 'bin' for months. I can think of other reasons why they are not a good idea. They sound like an idea that is great while it is working, but when it goes wrong its a disaster. It's a shame because anything that removes the ugly sight of wheelie bins at the front of houses should be applauded.  

• Like 2

Sounds like a goodish idea, they were talking about this years ago. But not sure how they contain the smell and yes, the rats will love them.

problem is people, they will be stuffing all sorts down there, broken furniture, electricals, etc, at least with the smaller bins you are limited on what you can throw in there. 

When i lived on a tower block we had chutes, and we had chute fires, scary times!

the chutes could work if it were not for irresponsible dirty pigs people. And then you got this:

The system has removed almost 9,000 bins, but it has also come with serious warnings that people could become stuck in a bottomless pit they choose to climb in.

TBO if people are that stupid, then underground with the rubbish is the best place for them! 

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Hmm.. this appears to be public bins rather than private house wheely-bins. So in fact the entire wheely-bin reference is incorrect. 

After all, can you imagine the difficulties in trying to excavate huge holes to install underground collection tanks ? Now imagine doing that in a residential street. Imagine the potential for vibration and subsidence damage to the surrounding houses ? The impact on gas pipes, sewerage pipes, electricity and communications cables ? 

For public rubbish bins, it seems - on the face of it - a reasonable idea. Presumably it would be easier and quicker to empty one large (purpose-designed) collection tank, than 20 individual street-level bins. 

But it will have ZERO impact on wheely-bins. 

the problem is people do not look for garbage bins on the street, majority of people, if there is no bin right where they decided to trash something, garbage goes on the floor, no one will walk half a mile to look for a trash can to dump ice cream wrapper. that is why we see garbage all over. taking cans away wont solve it.

nycta tried that and removed many garbage bins from train stations, now garbage ends up on the tracks.

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.. this appears to be public bins rather than private house wheely-bins. So in fact the entire wheely-bin reference is incorrect. 

But it will have ZERO impact on wheely-bins. 

It's you who is incorrect. Here's another source link -

There will be no wheelie bins at the housing development - instead residents will take their waste and mixed recycling to sleek steel bin chutes set into the pavement outside their homes

The main benefits of the scheme for residents are the reduced visual impact of the bins (one underground bin replaces around 20 wheeled bins), and not having to store or move wheelie bins, or remember when and which bins to put out for collection.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/underground-bin-system-eddington-cambridge-13389740

Whether or not it catches on elsewhere remains to be seen.

• Like 1

Oooh

9 hours ago, Still Waters said:

It's you who is incorrect. Here's another source link -

Whether or not it catches on elsewhere remains to be seen.

Oooh right.. thanks for the update on that Still Waters.

Hmm... I'm reminded me of some council flats from the 1970's - they had a similar idea. On each floor where chutes that led to a ground-level storage tank, which the council emptied every week.

• Like 1