Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Age of the Universe

pallidin

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Yes, it's been a one sided event so far. 

But evolution can't be stopped. The time has arrived for science to slow down its campaign of removing superstition from religion. It's at the point now of it becoming psuedo-superstituos for scientists to keep the baby in the bath water.

Since when has science had a campaign to remove superstition from religion? Science has no interest in religion. Science seeks to explain the universe. If the universe can be explained without the need for religion - which it can - then that is a problem for religion alone.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

Since when has science had a campaign to remove superstition from religion? Science has no interest in religion. Science seeks to explain the universe. If the universe can be explained without the need for religion - which it can - then that is a problem for religion alone.

Well Derek, like I inferred, it has in effect become scientific psuedo-blasphemy for a proponent of only being scientific or materialistic in the approach to understanding reality to include anything religious or spiritual in their scientific outlook and insights.

This attitude itself is a form of self-deception that leads one to even question that the proponents of science are also using their discipline to undermine religious faith by exposing the obvious falacies of religion, which isn't that hard to do in the first place, especially when it comes to religious superstition.

If you don't mind me saying.

Edited by Will Due

27 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Well Derek, like I inferred, it has in effect become scientific psuedo-blasphemy for a proponent of only being scientific or materialistic in the approach to understanding reality to include anything religious or spiritual in their scientific outlook and insights.

This attitude itself is a form of self-deception that leads one to even question that the proponents of science are also using their discipline to undermine religious faith by exposing the obvious falacies of religion, which isn't that hard to do in the first place, especially when it comes to religious superstition.

If you don't mind me saying.

There is no need to understand reality in any other way than is explained by science. In the past, priests used to tell the people that thunder and lightening was caused by angry gods. "If you don't make a sacrifice, or give half of your crops to the gods [by which they meant the priesthood] the gods will be angry again". Science showed thunder and lightening to be caused by an electrical discharge. And so on. If you can demonstrate that something other than physical processes are at work in the universe, then please do. If there is any criticism from science towards religion, it is because by their nature religions make things up to frighten and to control people.  

39 minutes ago, Derek Willis said:

There is no need to understand reality in any other way than is explained by science.

I beg your pardon, but this is how a criminal (I'm not implying you're one) justifies that he will get away with deliberately doing the wrong thing. 

No one is there to witness his actions, is what a criminal thinks to himself. 

In the past, priests used to tell the people that thunder and lightening was caused by angry gods. "If you don't make a sacrifice, or give half of your crops to the gods [by which they meant the priesthood] the gods will be angry again". 

You're certainly right about that!

Those priests are on their way out. It's because of what you mentioned above that "the one altogether lovely and the greatest among ten thousand" you know who I mean, was brutally murdered for simply preaching peace with God. Taking away the power of the priests.

If you can demonstrate that something other than physical processes are at work in the universe, then please do.

I've always thought it a very interesting word: demon-strate.

If there is any criticism from science towards religion, it is because by their nature religions make things up to frighten and to control people.  

True again.

That's why true religion is so important. Because it has no priests, no institution, no organization, no dogma, no doctrine, and no authority from anyone but the person who lives a truly religious life.

Unencumbered and unique. Inclusive of all truth, especially those truths that are the discoveries of science, as well as the truths realized by abiding in the life of living (unblinded) faith, the life of the Spirit.

If it's true right?

Unlike with science, everyone needs to test this out for themselves. Subjective as it is. Unobjectively.

Edited by Will Due

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Unlike with science, everyone needs to test this out for themselves. Subjective as it is. Unobjectively.

You ended on a high note - if an inverted one.

Science is objective. Science has no interest in subjectivity. The universe is, whether we are here to be part of it, or to observe it, or not.