Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are Aliens always Humanoid?

Aquila King

The real question is:

Why is a humanoid, human? And why "isn't" there an answer?

Being a bipedal upright with fingers, an opposable thumb, and forward facing eyes, we are the top tool makers amongst all animals on the planet....and THATS why we are the dominant and most intelligent species

thats why lobsters dont rule the world....their 'hands' /claws just couldnt work with tools very well

We see in our primate ancestors the benefit of the opposable thumb and fingers...as they TOO use and make very crude tools....

• Like 3

Aliens are always thought of as being humanoid, because it would be racist to think otherwise.

No wait, I mean it's the other way around. 

We are probably the most intelligent "land" creature on the planet,but maybe not in the sea, however we cannot see like an eagle, have a sense of smell and hear  like a lot of animals,   so we are pretty weak as a species, but if an "Alien" had all these properties they would no doubt be superior to us and maybe able to travel vast distances as their technology would be far superior, therefor its possible  that they have superior transport ie:- U.FO's no one knows until aliens decide to contact us or we contact them, and of course there could be civilisations far behind us in technology .I believe that we are not alone in the universe 

1 minute ago, seeder said:

We see in our primate ancestors the benefit of the opposable thumb and fingers...as they TOO use and make very crude tools....

Stop quoting the Urantia Book. 

11 minutes ago, acute said:

Greys go back to way before Sci-Fi movies!

Wikipedia

from your link, even further back....in BOOKS! well before TV

In the 1893 article "Man of the Year Million", the well-known author H.G. Wells had envisioned the possibility of humanity transformed into a race of grey-skinned beings; who were perhaps 1 meter tall, with big heads and large, oval-shaped pitch black eyes. In his 1901 book The First Men in the Moon, Wells described Selenites (natives of the Moon) as having grey skin, big heads, and large black eyes. He also briefly describes aliens resembling Greys brought down to Earth as food for the Martians, who were the antagonist characters in his 1898 novel The War of the Worlds.

In 1933, the Swedish novelist Gustav Sandgren, using the pen name Gabriel Linde, published a science-fiction novel called Den okända faran (The Unknown Danger), in which he describes a race of extraterrestrials: "...the creatures did not resemble any race of humans. They were short, shorter than the average Japanese, and their heads were big and bald, with strong, square foreheads, and very small noses and mouths, and weak chins. What was most extraordinary about them were the eyes—large, dark, gleaming, with a sharp gaze. They wore clothes made of soft grey fabric, and their limbs seemed to be similar to those of humans."[this quote needs a citation] The novel, aimed at young readers, included illustrations of the imagined aliens.

• Like 2

Demons/angels used to be humanoid as well, but times changed and so did the name. They became aliens. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Aquila King said:

I'm not asking as a skeptic or a believer, it's just an honest question I have. :unsure:

Nearly all supposed alien sightings have aliens appearing as humanoid. Whether it be the Greys, Reptilians, Tall Whites, etc. I don't necessarily see any reason why intelligent life must take this form. The only physical features I see intelligent needing would be a big brain, and some sort of free appendages in order to create tools and technology. I mean, why aren't there ever any reports of tentacle monsters abducting people or something?

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts.

I don't know if the mantids ET is a humanoid.... but there are people, abductees, who talk a lot about having encounters with the mantids.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

We are probably the most intelligent "land" creature on the planet,but maybe not in the sea, however we cannot see like an eagle, have a sense of smell and hear  like a lot of animals,   so we are pretty weak as a species,

we are pretty strong as a species because we can see distant planets and solar systems with great detail....by applying our intelligence to build telescopes, and as a species, we can fly faster than the speed of sound..., explore the bottom of the oceans....visit space and the moon....and one day even further...have food all year round....and light and heat and entertainment plus zillions of other things, and ultimately, we have power of life over every other species and even the planet we live on....we are the most superior species on the planet

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Im not, just quoting evolutionary facts... more importantly....I wouldnt read such nonsense

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, seeder said:

Im not, just quoting evolutionary facts... more importantly....I wouldnt read such nonsense

There you go again.

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

There you go again.

what are you on about?  Try explaining what you mean

12 minutes ago, Will Due said:

There you go again.

10 mins later and still no answer?

22 minutes ago, Will Due said:

There you go again.

20 mins ago and still no answer?  Yet you havent left the page in all that time! whats up, worried I will run circles around you? 

Well yes youre right in that respect!  :tu:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seeder said:

20 mins ago and still no answer?  Yet you havent left the page in all that time! whats up, worried I will run circles around you? 

addtext_com_MTg0NjM5MTc4Nzg5.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seeder said:

we are pretty strong as a species because we can see distant planets and solar systems with great detail....by applying our intelligence to build telescopes, and as a species, we can fly faster than the speed of sound..., explore the bottom of the oceans....visit space and the moon....and one day even further...have food all year round....and light and heat and entertainment plus zillions of other things, and ultimately, we have power of life over every other species and even the planet we live on....we are the most superior species on the planet

But if you strip us of all that we are very weak. 

1 hour ago, seeder said:

Sorry. I have a life you know. It is Saturday.

What I mean is simply you are quoting the facts.

4 hours ago, Will Due said:

Yeah, why not a head under the right arm? One eye in front and two eyes at back? For that matter, why are all worlds spherical? And where did gravity come from?

picard-facepalm.jpg

4 hours ago, lightly said:

because we tend to have somewhat limited imaginations ?

i can imagine aliens without tool making hands, or even heads.  Some sort of energy beings who can manipulate physical energy/matter.

or ones that exist in pure energy with no need of "physical" anything?

I've always found that an interesting concept. Why do we always assume aliens to be physical? Perhaps many have evolved beyond that.

I think once we break down the barriers of preconceived notions and think much more abstractly we'll gain a better grasp of the truth.

3 hours ago, Alaric said:

If it is actual alien technology that is being encountered, it would most likely be a drone. The vast majority of our exploratory vehicles are remotely controlled, this would hold true for aliens' as well. If this alien technology were here to study us, then perhaps these "grey men" are simply automatons which carry out the studies and the aliens have made them humanoid in some sort of attempt to minimize apprehension in their subjects by giving them a familiar type of shape and appearance (as opposed something which might appear more like the aliens themselves, but literally scare the subjects to death).

This is also highly possible. It might be a waste to try to find intelligent biological aliens at all, as they may have evolved beyond the need of such things.

Be it by means of energy beings or technological beings.

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Yeah, I keep telling my cat to grow those things so she can scoop her own litter box and pitch in around here. 

Freeloaders, all of them. 

First rule of cat ownership: You don't own cats, cats own you. ;)

3 hours ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

That's just what I've often said. I think that would account for a lot of UFO sightings, and would answer the objection people always raise that "manned craft couldn't possibly do the things they do". Perhaps, following this line of thought, the "ETs" that people claim to see are just a kind of projection into people's minds or a holographic projection or something to give them a means of keeping some sort of grasp on what they're seeing - a kind of user interface or virtual assistant. Like Cortina or whatever it's called.

:o Now that's a concept I've never encountered before! Very interesting. :tu:

3 hours ago, Lilly said:

Oh no...if cats evolve thumbs we're all doomed...they will conquer the world if that happens!

3 hours ago, acute said:

Another interesting thing (to me, anyway) is that aliens are always described as roughly on the same scale as us.

I mean... Why can't there be 3inch or 40foot aliens?

Yeah, srsly? :huh: Wat the deal wit dat!?

Why can't they be giant humanoids or some shiz?

3 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

Ugh...I have to go back to the Derailers Anonymous thread now. 

*swats own hand*

:yes: You shall overcome.

3 hours ago, Eldorado said:

We like to be scared and nothing is scarier to us than another human who looks a bit different.  From another tribe!  Here to steal our beer jobs and women!

Yeah-If-The-Lazy-Mexicans-Could-Quit-Rap

3 hours ago, seeder said:

The simple and most HONEST answer is....that reports of UFO's and aliens gained momentum with the advent of early TV and early sci-fi TV shows.....which nearly ALWAYS showed aliens humanoid (because humans were under the makeup).... this then put the idea of what aliens must look like to those who eventually had the story ahem, personal experiences of alien contact

First grey-ish aliens with large heads...were in Star Trek....co incidence huh?

http://www.nexusroute.co.uk/archives/55007

That's certainly possible, no joke. However it's also possible that there are serious reasons for why aliens are humanoid, and why the greys specifically look the way they do.

For one thing, it does simply make sense for the greys to have big heads for huge brains (as big bran = intelligence), and that they're protraued as having small slender bodies as they would be so advanced as to not need to do anything physically demanding. Also the large black eyes would make sense for being inside building structures and most importantly for use in outer space.

Could they be a Hollywood machination? Absolutely. I'm just sorta playing devils advocate here, as there are logical reasons why they appear they way they do.

:huh: Although the most unsettling things to me is still the mere fact that they're humanoid, period, as I personally find that to be a rather strange coincidence.

3 hours ago, Will Due said:

The real question is:

Why is a humanoid, human? And why "isn't" there an answer?

:huh: ...Dude, what the **** is wrong with you're brain?...

2 hours ago, seeder said:

Being a bipedal upright with fingers, an opposable thumb, and forward facing eyes, we are the top tool makers amongst all animals on the planet....and THATS why we are the dominant and most intelligent species

thats why lobsters dont rule the world....their 'hands' /claws just couldnt work with tools very well

thats-right-youre.jpg

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

Aliens are always thought of as being humanoid, because it would be racist to think otherwise.

No wait, I mean it's the other way around. 

2604c8c350d537bb08322a3ea7a94a0fcf8606b5

2 hours ago, Will Due said:

206636171_0021c26a2e.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

...and thus concludes the longest post I've made thus far. :P

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Sorry. I have a life you know. It is Saturday.

What I mean is simply you are quoting the facts.

Not the 'facts' from a Urantia Book thats for sure, Darwins theory was YEARS ahead of any book like Urantia

But even Darwin wasnt the first, tho Lamarc wasnt 'quite right'

When was the first theory of evolution?
In the early 19th century Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744 – 1829) proposed his theory of the transmutation of species, the first fully formed theory of evolution. In 1858 Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace published a new evolutionary theory, explained in detail in Darwin's On the Origin of Species (1859).

• Like 1

I feel the header for this topic should be:

why are stories/ claims of aliens always humanoid?;)

Edited by Dejarma

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

I feel the header for this topic should be:

why are stories/ claims of aliens always humanoid?;)

Eh, semantics.

To satisfy the enthusiasts I suppose. ;)

8 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

For one thing, it does simply make sense for the greys to have big heads for huge brains (as big bran = intelligence),

Having a bigger brain does not guarantee more cognitive power. Although many believe humans are the smartest species on the planet, our brains — which weigh roughly three pounds — are dwarfed by other animals. For instance, the elephant brain weighs about nine pounds; the whale brain can weigh up to 20 pounds. 

It’s not all that surprising that the bigger an animal's body, the bigger its brain might be. However, when scientists rank mammals by their brain size relative to their body size, it's the tree shrew, and not humans, that come out on top. The brain of the tree shrew accounts for 10 percent of its body mass, while the human brain accounts for roughly two percent of body mass. 

• Like 4