Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why are Aliens always Humanoid?

Aquila King

4 minutes ago, stereologist said:

The issue is your intolerance to being shown wrong. You appear to be unwilling to accept that your ideas are no more than personal belief.

In the case of scientific laws Essan pointed out that it may be possible for the laws not to be universal. They are believed to be universal and all evidence suggests them to be universal. Claiming them to be universal would be a belief. Stating that they appear to be universal is the current position based on observations to date.

Accept that you often post belief as fact and question the responses when they point out you are posting belief not fact.

@Will Due Listen to this dude ^

It's okay to have beliefs, and to state scientific reasons for why you believe it. I do so all the time.

It's a different thing entirely to state your beliefs as if it were fact.

• Like 3

Here are a few items I posted that are not beliefs, but fact.

1. Scientific laws describe observations

2. EM and gravity are the two forces affecting humans walking

3. Scientific laws exist without being written down

4. The big bang was not an explosion

5. Marble throwing is not an acceptable model for atom interactions.

26 minutes ago, Will Due said:

It's hard to have a conversation with someone who is so condescending and disingenuous. 

"Beware those who profess to know the reasons why, for they have forsaken their critical thinking and wish for you to do the same."

This applies to you. Yes?

Your opinion is yours, I'm not here to defend myself against your perceptions of me. 

When I see a flaw in logic I point it out, it's annoying and I get that. It's annoying feeling compelled to do it. I posted fairly detailed responses, and posed questions, in response to your posts in several threads and you dismissed them with a hand wave. How do you feel you appear to others?

If I have made a mistake please point it out in detail, I won't be offended. Explain your logical thought process. You claim to be a logical and rational person so it shouldn't be difficult.

I don't claim to know the reason why of anything, so I'm not sure how you reached the conclusion you did.

• Like 3

Here are a few items I posted that are beliefs.

1. Your posts were ramblings.  Although they appeared rambling and unconnected I limit this to being a belief.

2. You do not understand what random means. This is a common problem. Although your posts indicate you too have this problem there is insufficient data to confirm this as a fact.

3. Aquila King did a much better job of expressing the meaning of science laws than I did. This is probably a fact, but I'll let other posters provide the evidence to confirm it as fact.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

@Will Due Listen to this dude ^

It's okay to have beliefs, and to state scientific reasons for why you believe it. I do so all the time.

It's a different thing entirely to state your beliefs as if it were fact.

Sorry for the confusion.

You see, I will die for my beliefs. That's why I state my beliefs as facts. Because at a moment's notice, I will die for them if it came to that.

That's the difference between scientific theory and religious belief.

Also, scientific facts are an integral part of my religious belief.

Truth is truth no matter how it appears and is discovered. 

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

You see, I will die for my beliefs. That's why I state my beliefs as facts. Because at a moment's notice, I will die for them if it came to that.

And this is why I walk a different road.

• Like 2

Sorry for the confusion.

Dying for your beliefs does not change them from beliefs to anything else. They remain beliefs.

That is not the difference between a scientific theory and a religious belief. LOL

If scientific facts are facts then they are not  belief. Facts are not truth either.

• Like 1

Sorry for the confusion.

I understand Will, and I do genuinely respect you for sticking to your beliefs, I really do.

Although I must point out that that can be a bit dangerous. :( Not to compare you to terrorists, but that's exactly what suicide bombers are willing to do. I understand trying to stand by your principles. But a total unwillingness to amend any beliefs or change one's thinking can lead you down a hard road.

Facts are facts regardless of belief, and if your beliefs contradict the facts and you're literally willing to die before amending beliefs, then you're literally setting yourself up to be perpetually wrong. You know you don't want to be wrong Will.

I'm not telling you here that your beliefs are wrong, I'm merely asking you to truly think rationally about this. Because if you're willing to literally die before you would ever admit being wrong, then what if you are wrong? What then? Isn't it easier to alter your beliefs to conform with fact?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I understand Will, and I do genuinely respect you for sticking to your beliefs, I really do.

Although I must point out that that can be a bit dangerous. :( Not to compare you to terrorists, but that's exactly what suicide bombers are willing to do. I understand trying to stand by your principles. But a total unwillingness to amend any beliefs or change one's thinking can lead you down a hard road.

Facts are facts regardless of belief, and if your beliefs contradict the facts and you're literally willing to die before amending beliefs, then you're literally setting yourself up to be perpetually wrong. You know you don't want to be wrong Will.

I'm not telling you here that your beliefs are wrong, I'm merely asking you to truly think rationally about this. Because if you're willing to literally die before you would ever admit being wrong, then what if you are wrong? What then? Isn't it easier to alter your beliefs to conform with fact?

That's beautiful AK. 

Let me give you context. I will state things as fact because . . . I will not think of it any other way. I hope you all can accept that.

1. Jesus of Nazareth is the maker of everything science discovers and describes as law.

2. Jesus died because he wanted to establish the abolishment of all religious superstition and the belligerent control the priests have over the people.

3. He died because there wasn't any other way out.

4. He died because he loved his friends (all of us) and would not compromise the facts (religious and scientific) that there has been so much hidden away that shouldn't have been.

5. And if it came to it for me, I will do the same.

6. I do not doubt one iota any of this.

At the same time I understand how this all sounds to you. But let me emphasize that it isn't about dying, it's about living.

Living to the maximum possible. I will not compromise this.

13 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Let me give you context. I will state things as fact because . . . I will not think of it any other way. I hope you all can accept that.

:hmm: I can accept the futility of stating facts to you at least...

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Will Due said:

That's beautiful AK. 

1. Jesus of Nazareth is the maker of everything science discovers and describes as law.

2. Jesus died because he wanted to establish the abolishment of all religious superstition and the belligerent control the priests have over the people.

3. He died because there wasn't any other way out.

4. He died because he loved his friends (all of us) and would not compromise the facts (religious and scientific) that there has been so much hidden away that shouldn't have been.

5. And if it came to it for me, I will do the same.

6. I do not doubt one iota any of this.

At the same time I understand how this all sounds to you. But let me emphasize that it isn't about dying, it's about living.

Living to the maximum possible. I will not compromise this.

You can state all of these beliefs as facts but they are not facts. These are all beliefs. Number 6 is also a belief. It is not a fact.

People pretend all of the time that their cherished beliefs are so important that they are facts. They are not. No matter how hard you want to believe and how adamant that you'll die for these ideas they are nothing more than beliefs. They are opinion.

No one wants to die over scientific laws. Who wants to die over a law that anyone can observe? Yet people will die for and commit heinous crimes in the name of their opinions. Names like Hitler and Pol Pot and Stalin come to mind. Groups like the Shining Path and Nazis, and Khmer Rouge and ISIS come to mind. People commit atrocities over beliefs.

• Like 4

Oh maaan! Do i really have to scroll through 8 pages to see how this thread as gone from humanoid aliens to jesus of Nazareth.

Think i will walk the dogs first.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Oh maaan! Do i really have to scroll through 8 pages to see how this thread as gone from humanoid aliens to jesus of Nazareth.

Think i will walk the dogs first.

LOL......well, I have it on good authority that Jesus  was a humanoid alien.

;)

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stereologist said:

You can state all of these beliefs as facts but they are not facts. These are all beliefs. Number 6 is also a belief. It is not a fact.

People pretend all of the time that their cherished beliefs are so important that they are facts. They are not. No matter how hard you want to believe and how adamant that you'll die for these ideas they are nothing more than beliefs. They are opinion.

No one wants to die over scientific laws. Who wants to die over a law that anyone can observe? Yet people will die for and commit heinous crimes in the name of their opinions. Names like Hitler and Pol Pot and Stalin come to mind. Groups like the Shining Path and Nazis, and Khmer Rouge and ISIS come to mind. People commit atrocities over beliefs.

It's all kinda irrelevant if he's willing to literally die before admitting his beliefs are wrong.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

It's all kinda irrelevant if he's willing to literally die before admitting his beliefs are wrong.

Kinda? It's rendered discussion with him completely irrelevant. To paraphrase Will he has basically stated that he only wants to lecture us. We can discuss things with him but only if we are in agreement with him.

• Like 3

Just now, I'mConvinced said:

Kinda? It's rendered discussion with him completely irrelevant. To paraphrase Will he has basically stated that he only wants to lecture us. We can discuss things with him but only if we are in agreement with him.

:rolleyes: Well he can lecture on. Doesn't mean I have to read it or take it seriously.

• Like 4

Just now, Aquila King said:

:rolleyes: Well he can lecture on. Doesn't mean I have to read it or take it seriously.

Amen brother :P

• Like 2

I hope you understand that I'm not against any of you and what you're saying.

I'm not against science.

I'm for science.

I think some of you, if not all of you, think that I'm trying to get you to switch between thinking scientifically and thinking religiously. Nothing can be further from the truth.

If your only thinking religiously, or only thinking scientifically, then I'll compare it to looking out at the world with the limited viewpoint of the two dimensional perspective of monovision. 

What I support is to utilize the exponentially greater perspective of stereovision, by using both the eye of science and the eye of religion to see things in three dimensions.

See things better for what they really are. Not just religiously. Not just scientifically. But both ways. In combination. 

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I hope you understand that I'm not against any of you and what you're saying.

I'm not against science.

I'm for science.

I think some of you, if not all of you, think that I'm trying to get you to switch between thinking scientifically and thinking religiously. Nothing can be further from the truth.

If your only thinking religiously, or only thinking scientifically, then I'll compare it to looking out at the world with the limited viewpoint of the two dimensional perspective of monovision. 

What I support is to utilize the exponentially greater perspective of stereovision, by using both the eye of science and the eye of religion to see things in three dimensions.

See things better for what they really are. Not just religiously. Not just scientifically. But both ways. In combination. 

Last Tuesday, I think.

4 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

to echo freetoroam's thoughts, how did this thread about humanoid aliens devolve into discussion about Jesus?... :huh:

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

MI0003389043.thumb.jpg.82276827a6e939734

Blah blah Jesus Urantia Book blah blah...

Oh... Oh that, yeah... Gotcha.

Lol

I feel kinda bad. Now I'm down to just trolling you at this point.

I mean what choice do I have really when you literally don't care about facts man?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

And all he managed to do was create even more religious superstition and belligerent control by priests over the people ......

Oops ;)       Not quite a Darwin Award candidate, but he must be a leading candidate in the list of utterly pointless deaths .... (assuming thats the reason he died, if indeed, he ever existed at all)