Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Consciousness Without Brain Activity.

LightAngel

On 10/16/2017 at 11:45 AM, Emma_Acid said:

This is my point - there should be a way of fitting it in to known physics. However, given that there are no reputable studies of ghosts genuinely, measurably "appearing", it's hard - nigh on impossible - to develop an experiment to "see what happens" - as nothing has ever objectively been proven to "happen".

Yes, and that is my point also. I sometimes watch a local television program that "investigates" haunted places. However, the investigators are pretty much already bought-into the reality of ghosts, so they are hardly objective. They carry round thermometers and other meters (I'm not quite sure what they are) and measure cold spots and so on. The starting point would be fairly simple - provided professional scientists were willing to be involved. Cameras, microphones, thermometers, pressure gauges, magnetometers, Geiger tubes ... the lot. If there are any disturbances, they will be detected. But as I have said, unless the experiment is carried out by professional scientists, no one will take it seriously.

• Like 1

I believe that consciousness is like software which needs to be run on hardware either biological or non biological and might not exist without the hardware. Also i feel it's very tightly bound with the hardware because whenever a person has head injury or brain clots, their consciousness is altered or affected. 

• Like 4

Consciousness is not something generated by the Mortal body, but something which uses it as a vehicle of experience and expression...

• Like 7

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, kartikg said:

I believe that consciousness is like software which needs to be run on hardware either biological or non biological and might not exist without the hardware. Also i feel it's very tightly bound with the hardware because whenever a person has head injury or brain clots, their consciousness is altered or affected. 

People so quickly compare the brain to a computer, but ignore the fact that a computer has the ability to receive wifi signal and go on the internet.

I see consciousness as the internet and the brain as the computer.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Aquila King said:

People so quickly compare the brain to a computer, but ignore the fact that a computer has the ability to receive wifi signal and go on the internet.

I see consciousness as the internet and the brain as the computer.

Yeah but what about those stuck out in the middle of nowhere with 56k:

Error 404 - Your consciousness was not found.

• Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, I'mConvinced said:

Yeah but what about those stuck out in the middle of nowhere with 56k:

Error 404 - Your consciousness was not found.

Lol, I guess coffee enhances signal strength as well. :lol:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Lol, I guess coffee enhances signal strength as well. :lol:

"That man is dead."

"No not yet. Inject him with a double espresso, right in the frontal lobe."

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, LightAngel said:

I have personal experiences about this topic, so I'm very positive here, and now I'm curious about what you people think?! :)

I have read a few books on this topic and I find it very interesting. I think we are pure consciousness living in a human body. So of coarse when we leave the body we are still going to be conscious just in another form and dimension. It has been said that we are multidimensional beings. I do believe proof of that is near death experiences.

• Like 3

How little we know about the mind! Where it exists, what it's composition is, what it's boundaries are.. we know when it is operative and we can understand that it apparently can become unconscious. But where is it during a period of unconsciousness?? Does it evaporate into nothingness? If so, how does it return? How can it return if it has been nowhere?  If it be in existence through a period of unconsciousness, why are we not conscious at the seat of consciousness, and just where, in the physical body, is this seat of consciousness??..

• Like 2

On 22/10/2017 at 1:08 PM, ArcherSage said:

Prove that a thought exists

"A man's life is what his thoughts make it" Marcus Aurelius. .

"Everything you are and everything you will be begins in your mind"...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2017 at 4:52 PM, Truthseeker007 said:

I do believe proof of that is near death experiences.

649b1ed7c8e2fecc14e34c5551c98e05.jpg

I need more humor in this topic :lol:

On a serious note, I agree with a lot of your thoughts! 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

649b1ed7c8e2fecc14e34c5551c98e05.jpg

I need more humor in this topic :lol:

On a serious note, I agree with a lot of your thoughts! 

Well.... I thank you Sir/Miss.. what is it we would like some perspective on?? I am happy to help.. and I thank you 4the invite..

Blessings  2uall. .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MauriOra said:

Well.... I thank you Sir/Miss.. what is it we would like some perspective on?? I am happy to help.. and I thank you 4the invite..

Blessings  2uall. .

Huh?!

This topic is open to everybody, but I'm glad that you feel at home :lol:

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

Huh?!

This topic is open to everybody, but I'm glad that you feel at home :lol:

ThaNX. ..

18 hours ago, MauriOra said:

Well.... I thank you Sir/Miss.. .

By the way, I'm a woman :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LightAngel said:

By the way, I'm a woman :)

Sorry 4last night MISS LA. . And lovely to meet you x0x mauriora xx

• Like 2

Just now, MauriOra said:

Sorry 4last night MISS LA. . And lovely to meet you x0x mauriora xx

Nice to meet you. :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started seeing this series on Netflix and it's really good.

• Like 2

On 10/23/2017 at 9:30 AM, kartikg said:

Could be. I think of it more like a car. If you have a flat tire it’s going to effect the way you drive it. That doesn’t make you one with the car though. 

I just finished this series and if you're interested in this topic, then there is a big chance that you will enjoy this series.

It was very good, not perfect, but still good enough!

Edited by LightAngel
  • Like 2

I saw that series a while back when it first aired on NatGeo.

That and Through the Wormhole were some of Morgan Freeman's best docuseries.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Aquila King said:

I saw that series a while back when it first aired on NatGeo.

That and Through the Wormhole were some of Morgan Freeman's best docuseries.

Indeed.

And Morgan Freeman has a pleasant voice, so it's good to use his voice for documentaries :) 

• Like 3

On 9/20/2017 at 5:04 PM, Aquila King said:

Many materialists will assert that higher consciousness functioning is possible at the base of the spinal column precisely because conscious experiences such as NDE's occur while the base of the spinal column is the only part of the brain that is active. Whereas spiritualists like myself claim that this is proof positive that consciousness is not generated by the brain because it is only the base of the spinal column that is active during a NDE and the whole brain would be required to supposedly generate consciousness.

We don't even know what the Whole Brain even does....but I think the important thing is that the Neo-Cortex is where all imagery happens...it doesn't happen in  the spinal column....and....even if there is no apparent neo-cortex activity, that doesn't mean anything really.  Think of it is as when  your leg falls to sleep...you can't feel anything...until it starts to wake up...so when the neo-cortex begins to wake up...that is when the NDEs occur...in my layman's opinion.  Having said that...I don't even know how to explain what people have seen during the NDEs...but I will never believe that consciousness happens outside of actual Life.  That is what Life is.

• Like 1