Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Questions and Answers

ellapenella

Just now, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I'm trying to point out how you cannot say everything is readily obvious for all to understand, if it really isn't by way of selected texts, religions, and outlooks. This was something in response to Will Due and what he said. And, I had told you that in a response back to you, Ella. 

You know I hadn't and will not read the bible, so I won't read it to try and get something that is subjective to you. (not knocking it, just not going to do the same for me, that it will to you.) 

I was wondering if your thread is talking about everyone (man kind) or just a select few, ( Various Christians ) and if everyone is going to go through the end times, or just a select few. 

My response to your posting a bible quote is real. I didn't understand it at all. 

I didn't state that it is obvious for everyone to understand, if I stated anything about that it would have meant  that I  was referring to Christians should understand.

2 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:

1 Corinthians 14:22

Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe

eta

you state over and over again on Christian topics that you do not believe, it's that simple.

If you did pay attention to me and my responses to Christian topics, you would have noticed, that I have seen, held, and understood varying similarities of them to my belief. But, what I don't believe, is when some say things from subjective beliefs as truth, and I'm trying to understand how they see it as truth, when there is no proof. I'm just asking for proof, so to see it as truth. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ellapennella said:
3 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I'm trying to point out how you cannot say everything is readily obvious for all to understand, if it really isn't by way of selected texts, religions, and outlooks. This was something in response to Will Due and what he said. And, I had told you that in a response back to you, Ella. 

You know I hadn't and will not read the bible, so I won't read it to try and get something that is subjective to you. (not knocking it, just not going to do the same for me, that it will to you.) 

I was wondering if your thread is talking about everyone (man kind) or just a select few, ( Various Christians ) and if everyone is going to go through the end times, or just a select few. 

My response to your posting a bible quote is real. I didn't understand it at all. 

I didn't state that it is obvious for everyone to understand, if I stated anything about that it would have meant  that I  was referring to Christians should understand.

Well first, do you believe that only those Christians would suffer the end times? The rest would go on with everyday life as usual? 

And second, I didn't say you stated them as obvious. This part of the conversation is with Will. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

If you did pay attention to me and my responses to Christian topics, you would have noticed, that I have seen, held, and understood varying similarities of them to my belief. But, what I don't believe, is when some say things from subjective beliefs as truth, and I'm trying to understand how they see it as truth, when there is no proof. I'm just asking for proof, so to see it as truth. 

Seriously, I'd like to talk about the topic. I notice that the religious threads you enter , you always like to make it about you.

Edited by Ellapennella
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Well first, do you believe that only those Christians would suffer the end times? The rest would go on with everyday life as usual? 

And second, I didn't say you stated them as obvious. This part of the conversation is with Will. 

What does it matter to you?

1 minute ago, Ellapennella said:

Seriously, I'd like to talk about the topic. I notice that the religious threads you enter , you always like to make it about you.

It still is about the topic. Again, I was responding to Will Due and what he said in his post. In which, he is being very understanding and responding. 

And where does it show I'm making it about me. I'm talking about the objectiveness and the subjectiveness of the topic and who sees it as such. 

(you know, I'm not the only one making assumptions about others) 

I'll just wait for Will Due to respond again. I am very interested in his take and answer to my questions to him. 

Though, I am interested in the question I did ask you about the end times. If this is about just the Christians, does that mean not everyone is going through 'the end times'? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ellapennella said:
6 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

What does it matter to you?

It depends. If the 'end times' is about everyone, wouldn't it matter to everyone? 

It's still on topic, wouldn't you have an answer then? 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

It's not really the "end times" if only a subset of the population goes through it, I would think. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call them "The Divine Leaving" when all the Christians leave the rest of us behind for parts unknown.

Huh. That actually sounds pretty good...;)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ogbin said:

Christians pray for healing. God heals. God gets all the glory. If you ask God for anything, you must ask in faith, nothing wavering. For if you doubt that God is able to give you what you ask for then you receive nothing from him. When speaking about having doubt when asking God for something James 1:7says, " for let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord." 

Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they[b] will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”  Mark 16

This particular verse of the bible is indicating that it is those who have believed the gospel (ie. Christians) who have the power to heal.  

8 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

Well, my first guess would be because of a lack of faith in God.

Matthew 18:19 - "Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven."

John 14:14 - "If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."

So, this really couldn't be any more clear.  It doesn't really have anything to do with having enough faith in God to get the job done.  Now, let's say this verse is real, people believe it - and it can be done.  Then, the very first stop should be the children's cancer ward......where it would promptly become empty of all sick children.

Superman doesn't have to wonder if he can move real fast, pick up a car, or crash through a building without suffering any harm.  He knows it, and doesn't have to believe it.  

7 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I don't think your analogy is going to work. Because, again, I'm talking about it being obvious. Obvious, being also having it happened over and over to everyone who applies for a job. Is that like that with divine instructions? And even then, when it comes to a job's first day, one is told upon an interview that they will be paid for that first day. Or, will be told they wont, and that does happen. That would be obvious. 

Are divine instructions like that, then? Where are they obvious for all? (Frankly, it should be left to an analogy to explained. It should be simply stated as to how. ) 

I'm going to be honest with you Stubbly. I've been thinking a lot about your questions and I think I was wrong. It has dawned on me that it isn't obvious at all and I don't know what to make of it yet. Why this appears to be a fact. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guyver said:

Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.1 

This is what believers do, preach the gospel.

16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved;

This is the gift of God to those who believe, eternal life.

17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons;...they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

John 14:14 - "If you ask anything in My name, I will do it."

When a believer has a request of the Father, they come to Him in prayer and ask in the name of Christ.

Matthew 18:19 - "Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven."

When you come to the Father in Christ's name requesting a certain something, you must believe without a doubt that you will receive whatever it is you are asking for, or you will not receive it. James 1:6 says that we are to ask in faith, not doubting. James 1:7 says the man who doubts should not think to receive anything of the Lord.

This particular verse of the bible is indicating that it is those who have believed the gospel (ie. Christians) who have the power to heal.  

It is not the power to heal that the believer has, it is the power of prayer. God does the healing. What we as believers do is bring our requests to God in prayer, asking in the name of Christ. And when you ask you must not doubt God's ability to answer your prayer, or you will not receive your request from the Lord. 

Edited by Ogbin

10 hours ago, Ellapennella said:

Okay, are you suggesting that you were healed by Jesus or because of what you mentioned in the last sentence which did not include Jesus as healer.

I dont know.

I know that scientifically, faith and belief promotes both well being and healing as well as longevity.

I know that my pain was removed and my tendons healed by the laying on of hands  Some would call this a miracle i tend to think it is a gift which involves a skill or technology from god  Over 4 decades god has done uch more than this for me and has saved our live a number of times So i accept the  involvement of god in this  and that my connection to god facilitated the healing, but i don't have enough knowledge of process to explain exactly who or what healed me.It involved a real and intense physical energy  transmitted as strong heat from the healer to me but he heat might have been energy generated by the healing process 

2 hours ago, Will Due said:
10 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I don't think your analogy is going to work. Because, again, I'm talking about it being obvious. Obvious, being also having it happened over and over to everyone who applies for a job. Is that like that with divine instructions? And even then, when it comes to a job's first day, one is told upon an interview that they will be paid for that first day. Or, will be told they wont, and that does happen. That would be obvious. 

Are divine instructions like that, then? Where are they obvious for all? (Frankly, it should be left to an analogy to explained. It should be simply stated as to how. ) 

I'm going to be honest with you Stubbly. I've been thinking a lot about your questions and I think I was wrong. It has dawned on me that it isn't obvious at all and I don't know what to make of it yet. Why this appears to be a fact. 

Thank you for your sincerity and honesty. :tu:  :blush:   Now, you know, I'm not in totally disbelief of varying people and groups getting messages. I feel that my belief has messages. I just don't think feels anything about the end times. It's more of wanting to protect and prosper society to grow and prosper.   

I wonder, though Will, wouldn't there be ways that a higher power would want to be known toward everyone? 

I also wanted to add, that I have learned a few things from your posts. :)  

Edited by Stubbly_Dooright
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr Walker said:

Interesting question Even though i didn't believe it was possible i have been physically healed by a man spontaneously laying  hands on me and praying for healing in christs name It was actually nothing short of miraculous It eliminated excruciating pain and healed muscles and tendons in my shoulder and yet it happened so fast that i didn't even know what was happening

Second, we know that many wounds, illnesses and diseases, respond more positively to healing and recovery if the individual has faith and believes Ie   it does not require healing from another to reduce pain, speed up recovery from trauma and wounds, or even from cancer.  The healing improves spontaneously, simply because belief creates and releases a mixture of chemicals into the body which are known to improve recovery times, and  also rates of  successful recovery

So do you believe or not if not hoe did it work as you have said that one needs to believe.

I  felt an intense heat from his hand, and heard one or two words, and then he moved on. I went from writhing in agony, with red and black flashes across my vision, to  no pain at all, instantaneously. 

How did this happen that you felt pain, you have stated in the past that pain is in the brain and that you don't need pain killers for pain because you have mastered it through your higher consciousness. Remember you were shot in the chest with a bullet and shot in the arm with and arrow and sought out no medical treatment because you didn't want to get your mates into trouble, did someone just throw a bullet at you?

Next week my physio told me that my shoulder was healed, and the damage to the muscles and tendons was gone  She asked me how this had happened, and seemed to accept my explanation, matter of factly.  In ancient times he would have be a healer. In modern times he is the  bloke whom  local football teams go to for faster healing and recovery times.

So you had been getting treatment and been to physio before or after this incident? If after how would they know that you had been injured if you had been healed. Can you provide this mans name so I can research him and does this bloke work with athletes who can attest to his healing powers.

jmccr8

Walker,

these comments kind of remind me of how you have conquered fear and are not subject to it, you have claimed that you live in a low crime area with no violent crimes and yet you lock your door and won't go out for a walk after dark, why your fearless right and you can dodge raindrops and are ruthless enough to disarm someone and shoot them with their own gun or give them a kata on the nose. I can't suspend my disbelief that far or for that long to believe you.

jmccr8

7 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

So do you believe or not if not hoe did it work as you have said that one needs to believe.

How did this happen that you felt pain, you have stated in the past that pain is in the brain and that you don't need pain killers for pain because you have mastered it through your higher consciousness. Remember you were shot in the chest with a bullet and shot in the arm with and arrow and sought out no medical treatment because you didn't want to get your mates into trouble, did someone just throw a bullet at you?

So you had been getting treatment and been to physio before or after this incident? If after how would they know that you had been injured if you had been healed. Can you provide this mans name so I can research him and does this bloke work with athletes who can attest to his healing powers.

jmccr8

Understandably you confuse two things Faith and belief contribute strongly to healing pain relief    recovery time and rates of trauma injuries etc This is established scientific fact. Ive used a deliberate self aware process of mind to release natural pain killers and to reduce the perception pain  after major surgery so i could get myself off morphine based painkillers almost immediately

However in this example my belief played no part  I had done something in a supermarket check out  to a badly injured shoulder tendon. I was seeing black and red flashes and almost passing out and leaning against the check out, trying to support my shoulder  Before i realised what was happening a bloke came up behind me, laid his palm flat on my shoulder, and started saying something to himself that  I could not hear/  A s he did so, I felt a very strong heat (at least equal to those old heat lamps they used to use for injuries)  emanate from his palm and enter my shoulder  Within seconds the pain ceased and i was able to move my shoulder without any pain at all.

I still had no clue what had happened The only words i heard sounded like jesus and heal,  but he was constantly and quietly speaking to him self The whole process took about 30 seconds, I straightened myself up, checked my shoulder,  and turned around to thank him but he was already leaving the shop

I was by now beginning to suspect what he had attempted,  but i asked the lady at the checkout. She told me he was well known in the community for healing, through the laying on of hands and was employed by the local football club to heal injured players.  Asking around a bit more i found out that he was a biblical christian  However i was healed before i even had a chance to think about what ws going on. He didnt speak to me and he didn't ask permission  (which might have annoyed me if the results weren't so wonderful)

Anyway, next week i went in for my regular physio appointment  as i had been struggling with this  injury for about a month to six weeks The physio noted the range of movement and lack of pain and did a few tests, before asking me what had happened  She pointed out that as far as she could ascertain there was no longer any tendon damage and my movement  was back to normal.  I still had very minor muscle pain but nothing like the pain I had been experiencing for a month or more  .

Yes i could give you his name and yes i could tell you the footy club he works for, but no i won't.  It would not be right to do so. Given a name. you could find out a lot about him from social media and i don't have his permission to make it available   however i will look it up myself Something i never considered doing myself.        

7 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Walker,

these comments kind of remind me of how you have conquered fear and are not subject to it, you have claimed that you live in a low crime area with no violent crimes and yet you lock your door and won't go out for a walk after dark, why your fearless right and you can dodge raindrops and are ruthless enough to disarm someone and shoot them with their own gun or give them a kata on the nose. I can't suspend my disbelief that far or for that long to believe you.

jmccr8

I don't lock any doors not even the car doors.  I am sitting here now at 9. 30 pm with the house doors unlocked and the car parked out the front,  unlocked.  I DOn't even lock the house doors when we are out for the day.  My wife locks the front door if she is home by herself but she is 75 and now partly crippled by a stroke   I certainly walk after dark but the street lighting here is not great and neither are the footpaths  So I walk cautiously and  i walk and ride every day. .

IN my home town of port lincoln   it is different, and anyone who goes out at night is in danger of being bashed My brother who is over 6 foot very athletic and fit was walking down the main street one night aged about 35 when he was approached form the front by 3 individuals While he was talking to them he was king hit from behind.  This was on a well lit main street outside of shops  They didn't rob him the y just did it because he was white and they were black and he was about their own age   There is a lot of crime there. whereas there was none when i was a child or teenager  Either you are misremembering things i have said or confusing different points, or you are deliberately misrepresenting them

But to add, having no fear doesn't mean having no sensible caution  I do not do things which are very dangerous unless there is a good reason to do them   i did a lot more dangerous things when younger but always planned and prepared them, to minimise danger and risk  I don't have a death wish.   

if you actually read my posts you might find them more believable, but i doubt it. Dont forget. Much of my narrative occurred when i was younger,  very fit, did a lot of manual labour  and was  skilled in self defence and weapons.

After we retired from the farm and moved into town when the bushfire burned us out in 2005  I surrendered our gun licences, as we no longer really needed them, either for home defence or for shooting animals.

I can only repeat that i haven't felt  fear of anything, beyond a mild intellectual concern, since i was about 15.  What is there to fear in life ?  

I forgot to answer this post last night. Sorry Podo! :o 

16 hours ago, Podo said:
21 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

It's not really the "end times" if only a subset of the population goes through it, I would think. Perhaps it would be more accurate to call them "The Divine Leaving" when all the Christians leave the rest of us behind for parts unknown.

Huh. That actually sounds pretty good...;)

You see, that's what I keep seeing and hearing and all sorts here and there. Like the Left Behind book series,  probably the the tv series 'The Left overs',  and I think other shows as well. Well, from what I understand, it's that thing where some strange major occurrance happens, and a select few go somewhere, and it's suppose to have a hint of someplace wonderful and everyone else is left behind to suffer. I just don't understand this. Why would this be predicted? 

Well, I figured it's a 'message' to 'clean up your act' :rolleyes: or you'll suffer the punishment. Or, something akin to that. This, from my understanding, mind you. 

Here's the part, that really baffles me. It seems a lot are desiring this!! :o I have observed it some wanting this with such fervor. Wouldn't it be a prudent thing to .................. oh, I don't know, .................... just avoid it? Or, just proclaim that you don't want it and want everyone to live happily and suffer free? I have come to know some who seemed disappointed when Y2K came along, and they were not the only ones who were left sitting tight and happy, that the rest of society were just as safe. :no:  :blink:  When one person said this to me, I just couldn't even talk. I don't know, I'm glad that Y2K didn't do anything at all, no cases of real suffering, and that we as a population came out of it, doing great! :tu:  Isn't this what being a good human is, (what ever ethics and your religion teaches you, which is what I thought it does teach) is to care about and to care for everyone?!!

Going back to what you posted in response to me, Podo, when it's just a select few, what's with the dramatics on that. If that is, everyone else is untouched and left to carry on with the usual life and day to day things like usual? Is this what this is all about? 

*shrugs* 

Maybe my belief is kind of radical, when it comes to this subject, but it believes and preventing some horrifying end times and wanting to protect everyone. If there is signs, maybe they should be headed and a message to avoid the next step. *shrugs again* 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I forgot to answer this post last night. Sorry Podo! :o 

You see, that's what I keep seeing and hearing and all sorts here and there. Like the Left Behind book series,  probably the the tv series 'The Left overs',  and I think other shows as well. Well, from what I understand, it's that thing where some strange major occurrance happens, and a select few go somewhere, and it's suppose to have a hint of someplace wonderful and everyone else is left behind to suffer. I just don't understand this. Why would this be predicted? 

Well, I figured it's a 'message' to 'clean up your act' :rolleyes: or you'll suffer the punishment. Or, something akin to that. This, from my understanding, mind you. 

Here's the part, that really baffles me. It seems a lot are desiring this!! :o I have observed it some wanting this with such fervor. Wouldn't it be a prudent thing to .................. oh, I don't know, .................... just avoid it? Or, just proclaim that you don't want it and want everyone to live happily and suffer free? I have come to know some who seemed disappointed when Y2K came along, and they were not the only ones who were left sitting tight and happy, that the rest of society were just as safe. :no:  :blink:  When one person said this to me, I just couldn't even talk. I don't know, I'm glad that Y2K didn't do anything at all, no cases of real suffering, and that we as a population came out of it, doing great! :tu:  Isn't this what being a good human is, (what ever ethics and your religion teaches you, which is what I thought it does teach) is to care about and to care for everyone?!!

Going back to what you posted in response to me, Podo, when it's just a select few, what's with the dramatics on that. If that is, everyone else is untouched and left to carry on with the usual life and day to day things like usual? Is this what this is all about? 

*shrugs* 

Maybe my belief is kind of radical, when it comes to this subject, but it believes and preventing some horrifying end times and wanting to protect everyone. If there is signs, maybe they should be headed and a message to avoid the next step. *shrugs again* 

You hit upon a very good point. If [deity] was all-powerful, why not simply avoid the calamity altogether, rather than preparing followers to weather the storm? The answer, by necessity, is that either the calamity is something that the deity is unwilling to change and thus making the deity a monster, or something that the deity has no ability to change. Neither option is good, but both put the claims of "all-forgiving, all-powerful god" into question. Most theists don't like that, however, so the end-times are paraded as some kind of inevitability.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Podo said:

You hit upon a very good point. If [deity] was all-powerful, why not simply avoid the calamity altogether, rather than preparing followers to weather the storm? The answer, by necessity, is that either the calamity is something that the deity is unwilling to change and thus making the deity a monster, or something that the deity has no ability to change. Neither option is good, but both put the claims of "all-forgiving, all-powerful god" into question. Most theists don't like that, however, so the end-times are paraded as some kind of inevitability.

I have observed that it's looked upon as an inevitability by some. Do you happen to notice how some anticipate it with an almost enthusiasm? 

Why? (if you have noticed this) 

I wouldn't want this, for I would like everyone to not suffer. 

Or am I the only one that thinks they are observing this? (still have those individuals in mind who seemed to revel in it with joy)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I have observed that it's looked upon as an inevitability by some. Do you happen to notice how some anticipate it with an almost enthusiasm? 

Why? (if you have noticed this) 

I wouldn't want this, for I would like everyone to not suffer. 

Or am I the only one that thinks they are observing this? (still have those individuals in mind who seemed to revel in it with joy)

I have noticed this, yes. My best guess is that the coming of their chosen end-time would be tangible proof of their beliefs. Not only that, but they would be able to lord their correctness over all of the filthy heathens that they spent their life dealing with. For these sick people, it would be the ultimate vindication; if you live your life believing in unprovable mythologies and finally, finally get a chance to watch the nonbelievers get their just desserts would naturally be incredibly attractive. These people, they're not motivated by love or compassion or any of the other floofy concepts their chosen mythology claims. Instead, they're motivated by the same petty competitive urge to be right as the rest of us are. The only difference is that they don't see the irony in their own actions, which I guess is understandable when you consider how far up one's own butt someone must be to eagerly await a fictional end-of-the-world scenario. They're no different from the fat nerds who hope for a zombie apocalypse, or the redneck who prays for pure anarchy without any thought to the actual implications.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Podo said:

I have noticed this, yes. My best guess is that the coming of their chosen end-time would be tangible proof of their beliefs. Not only that, but they would be able to lord their correctness over all of the filthy heathens that they spent their life dealing with. For these sick people, it would be the ultimate vindication; if you live your life believing in unprovable mythologies and finally, finally get a chance to watch the nonbelievers get their just desserts would naturally be incredibly attractive. These people, they're not motivated by love or compassion or any of the other floofy concepts their chosen mythology claims. Instead, they're motivated by the same petty competitive urge to be right as the rest of us are. The only difference is that they don't see the irony in their own actions, which I guess is understandable when you consider how far up one's own butt someone must be to eagerly await a fictional end-of-the-world scenario. They're no different from the fat nerds who hope for a zombie apocalypse, or the redneck who prays for pure anarchy without any thought to the actual implications.

In which, I would really wish they did see the irony of their own actions. To take responsibility for it, and realize that in itself seems to be the opposite that I have observed various religious want to convert others, for they would think those converted others will have the compassion and kindness that they believe their religion teaches. (Weeeell, that is what I'm gathering from various proselytizers I have had the opptortunity to...................... run into. :o ) Anyways, for myself, who was raised secular, I would think it would be understandable to be so utterly confused to the mixed messages of wanting me to convert to their religion so I could feel compassion, kindness, giving, and other such selfless behaviors, their religion touts, yet I also get this glee toward watching others suffer. (I should note of that this is from my observations of the few of those who have behaved like this ((in real life)) and I'm going by this). 

I could never accept (even if it's just understood as pure fiction) zombies. Never have and never will. (never read or watched 'The Walking Dead'. ) And well, as for the other stuff, I can't get head around it either. 

I mean, if there are going to be signs, wouldn't it be used to convince the world, the believes, to do something to fight against it? If not, I just can't get myself to take seriously those who have such glee for it, even if it's subconscious type need to look and feel right. Which is, if I think about it, isn't that also about judging, which isn't that something of a no no to do? 

Now, I shall take a moment to reflect on a word in your post. 

Floofy!!!

:lol:   I like that word and want permission to use that in real life and web life. :D  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

Now, I shall take a moment to reflect on a word in your post. 

Floofy!!!

:lol:   I like that word and want permission to use that in real life and web life. :D  

image.png?w=500&c=1

• Like 2