Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

RIP: Nuke officer's instincts averted WW3

The Caspian Hare

A Soviet officer whose cool head and quick thinking saved the world from nuclear war has died aged 77.

Stanislav Petrov was on duty in a secret command centre outside Moscow on 26 September 1983 when a radar screen showed that five Minuteman intercontinental ballistic missiles had been launched by the US towards the Soviet Union.

Red Army protocol would have been to order a retaliatory strike, but Petrov – then a 44-year-old lieutenant colonel – ignored the warning, relying on a “gut instinct” that told him it was a false alert.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/18/soviet-officer-who-averted-cold-war-nuclear-disaster-dies-aged-77

• Like 1

RIP, indeed.  How many times have we come close and never known...  I read a book called COMMAND AND CONTROL by Eric Schlosser, that recounted a lot of such near misses.  Most of them happened right here on U.S. soil.  I assume that the Russians - and others who have such arsenals had similar experiences as well. :no:

• Like 2

When it will be artificial intelligence, i don't know if we will evade this kind of errors...

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

When it will be artificial intelligence, i don't know if we will evade this kind of errors...

It will never be AI for the final decision. At least in Russia. Trust me. Nevertheless there's no guarantee that an erroneous decision can't be taken by a human. In fact, nature knows no guarantees. We can only hope that reason and love prevails over madness. Trite words, I know, but still nothing more true that those.

• Like 2

"Shall we play a game, Doctor Falken?"

• Like 1

THe tangled web ...

~

The Mystery of Minot: Loose nukes and a cluster of dead airmen raise troubling questions

by Dave Lindorff

This article appeared initially in the Oct. 22, 2007 issue of American Conservative magazine.

The American Conservative has discovered that to date, more than a month after the incident, Pentagon investigators have completely ignored a peculiar cluster of six deaths during the weeks immediately preceding and following the B52 flight.

Wed, 11/21/2007

~

• baltimore chronicle link

~

That was a really though call to make. 

If you are right, you are avoiding a nuclear war and saving mankind. 

If you are wrong, you are sentencing to death your country at the hands of your (by that time) nemesis, serving them victory on a silver plate. 

And you have to take a decision in a split second. 

He is indeed a hero, because when time came, he managed to keep his calm and think logically (and laterally). 

We are also lucky that in command there was a person who knew his stuff and not some minister's cousine. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Chaldon said:

It will never be AI for the final decision. At least in Russia. Trust me. Nevertheless there's no guarantee that an erroneous decision can't be taken by a human. In fact, nature knows no guarantees. We can only hope that reason and love prevails over madness. Trite words, I know, but still nothing more true that those.

I don't think they are trite, at all. They sound like the only wisdom that can save humanity.  I pray that common sense will keep such world-ending decisions out of the control of machines.

• Like 1

we do,not need an AI to see we are destroying ourselves, to save humanity we need to thin the population, machines will have no problem making that decision, humans may have. we may end up killing 6b  to save 1b, but it still be saving humanity. 

Edited by aztek