Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deaf man shot dead by Oklahoma police

aztek

A deaf man holding a pipe on his porch was shot dead by police who ordered him to get on the ground as locals shouted that he couldn’t hear them.

Magdiel Sanchez was hit by at least one bullet and Tasered when police turned up at his home, at Shields Boulevard in Oklahoma City in the US, after his father was involved in a hit-and-run.

The first officer to arrive believed the 2ft-long pipe Mr Sanchez was holding was a weapon and called for back-up after he allegedly started moving with it, police said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/deaf-man-shot-dead-oklahoma-080446072.html

Edited by Still Waters
Trimmed for length. The rest can be viewed in the source link.

Oh well.

Happened before and predictably it happened now and will continue to happen again in the very near future and repeatedly for decades to come and the police will, as usual, be found to be entirely justified in firing more than one bullet into another human being.

Why be surprised anymore?

Just now, Ryu said:

Oh well.

Happened before and predictably it happened now and will continue to happen again in the very near future and repeatedly for decades to come and the police will, as usual, be found to be entirely justified in firing more than one bullet into another human being.

Why be surprised anymore?

so it is normal then, and we should just "move along" right?

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, aztek said:

A deaf man holding a pipe on his porch was shot dead by police who ordered him to get on the ground as locals shouted that he couldn’t hear them.

Magdiel Sanchez was hit by at least one bullet and Tasered when police turned up at his home, at Shields Boulevard in Oklahoma City in the US, after his father was involved in a hit-and-run.

The first officer to arrive believed the 2ft-long pipe Mr Sanchez was holding was a weapon and called for back-up after he allegedly started moving with it, police said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/deaf-man-shot-dead-oklahoma-080446072.html

So they shot a deaf man because they couldn't hear the people telling them that he is deaf? WTF

• Like 8

what is even worst one cop tased the guy, while another shot him dead,  i have 0 doubt cops heard people scream he was deaf, but their procedure matters more to them than anyone life. if someone came up to deaf guy to take the pipe away i have 0 doubts cops would kill him too. and judge would 200% find shooting justified. it is not about bad cop, it is about rotten system that needs cops to be exactly like that.

From what I see now, this is not a justifiable shooting at all. Why did they even have their weapons out? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, susieice said:

From what I see now, this is not a justifiable shooting at all. Why did they even have their weapons out? 

Apparently they thought the mans pipe (I think it was two feet long) was a weapon. When he approached them they should have realized it was a pipe. I guess he could hit you with it. Maybe if the had only tased him maybe I could understand, but to then shoot him also make no sense.

• Like 2

I'm hard of hearing and almost completely deaf... that scares me a lot. People like me who can't communicate well in person or follow commands because I can't hear it, we are 1000x more likely to be killed through misunderstanding by the police due to misunderstanding.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, internetperson said:

Definitely need all the facts before jumping on the 'police are no good' bandwagon. 

I tend to give LEO's the benefit of the doubt, but in this case I just can't.

• Like 2

I think police can make mistakes and sometimes overreact and perhaps so in this case. They are humans being asked to do a sometimes incredibly difficult and stressful job. Occasional errors over thousands and thousands of involvements everyday need be dealt with BUT I strongly disagree with this generalized disrespect and criticism of police in this country. I think if we  had to watch their critics do their job, it would get interesting really quick. Now if this guy that was shot also happened to be black, we would really get the overreaction by the social justice warriors.

• Like 2

i do not think it is a misunderstanding, more like not giving a damn, and even trying to understand,. it is not like they will be punished, why even care. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I think police can make mistakes and sometimes overreact and perhaps so in this case. They are humans being asked to do a sometimes incredibly difficult and stressful job. Occasional errors over thousands and thousands of involvements everyday need be dealt with BUT I strongly disagree with this generalized disrespect and criticism of police in this country. I think if we  had to watch their critics do their job, it would get interesting really quick. Now if this guy that was shot also happened to be black, we would really get the overreaction by the social justice warriors.

That is the thing... double standard. They don't give a damn about those that die due to excessive force unless the person is black. Apparently if the person that died is black, they think it gives them a excuse to throw a riot and destroy stuff.

20 minutes ago, Bama13 said:

I tend to give LEO's the benefit of the doubt, but in this case I just can't.

Understandable. I'm not saying they're right or wrong, just that if I were to judge I'd want more facts than a yahoo article.

22 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

we are 1000x more likely to be killed through misunderstanding by the police.

You gotta admit it's never a good idea to walk towards any human who's pointing a gun at you.

23 minutes ago, aztek said:

i do not think it is a misunderstanding, more like not giving a damn, and even trying to understand,. it is not like they will be punished, why even care. 

Regarding the first part...frankly you may be right but I think it's more often fear which is why I often say you can't be allowed to serve people you fear because fear = irrational. Regarding the latter part yeah you're probably right. I usually stand on the side of police but I'm not naive and am aware they have their own 'no snitching' culture.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Uncle Sam said:

I'm hard of hearing and almost completely deaf... that scares me a lot.

Same. I'm completely deaf in my right ear and have maybe 40% hearing in my left ear, but that's dropping as well. I figure that at the rate its dropping I'll be completely deaf at around age 40-50. I'm 31 now, so maybe 10 more years. 

People like me who can't communicate well in person or follow commands because I can't hear it, we are 1000x more likely to be killed through misunderstanding by the police due to misunderstanding.

I was almost arrested once because a cop didn't believe me that I didn't hear him. He was behind me and told me to stop and I didn't hear him, so he grabbed my arm and I jerked away from him not knowing it was a cop. When I turned I said "oh sorry didn't know you were a cop". He asked me why I didn't stop when he yelled at me to stop and why he shouldn't arrest me for resisting arrest (How do you arrest someone for resisting arrest when they weren't under arrest in the first place?). I stood there for maybe 10mins. trying to convince this guy that I was hard of hearing. I was lucky enough that a friend happened to walk by and stop to confirm that I was hard of hearing. I also still don't know why he wanted me to stop in the first place.

And that is why I now always have a copy of my latest hearing test in my wallet. I would suggest you do the same.

Edited by Odin11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, internetperson said:
2 hours ago, Uncle Sam said:

we are 1000x more likely to be killed through misunderstanding by the police.

You gotta admit it's never a good idea to walk towards any human who's pointing a gun at you.

From what I understand from the article I read this morning, he also had trouble communicating. And he was developmentally disabled, I also believe I read he also was mute, and he was using his hands to try to communicate to the police what happened. 

Neighbor Julio Rayos told The Oklahoman on Wednesday that in addition to being deaf, Sanchez was developmentally disabled and didn't speak, communicating mainly through hand movements. Rayos said he believes Sanchez became frustrated trying to tell the officers what was going on.

"The guy does movements," Rayos told the newspaper. "He don't speak, he don't hear, mainly it is hand movements. That's how he communicates. I believe he was frustrated trying to tell them what was going on."

From here.

I feel that in his mind, he was trying to help. 

And that's despite the fact, that it was his father who was the one in the hit and one car. :o 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I think he was hispanic, not black.

6 hours ago, aztek said:

so it is normal then, and we should just "move along" right?

Not saying it is "normal" so to speak but it happens so often these days that it just becomes the same-old-same-old stuff; you just shrug tiredly and move on because yelling, screaming, throwing fits and protests will never accomplish anything except that more people get killed.

Suggestions?

• Like 1

Just now, Myles said:

I think he was hispanic, not black.

?? My comment implied he wasn't black.

• Like 1

Just now, Ryu said:

Not saying it is "normal" so to speak but it happens so often these days that it just becomes the same-old-same-old stuff; you just shrug tiredly and move on because yelling, screaming, throwing fits and protests will never accomplish anything except that more people get killed.

Suggestions?

true,  rioting wont do much. it would actually help police case.

i already suggested, do exactly what cops do, attack individual, single him out,  protest in front of his house,  in front of his spouse's work, constant attack on social media,  flyers all over the city. make other cops think twice before even touching their gun. make his life miserable, every second of it.  cuz legal ways do not work against cops, courts protect them, unions protect them, attack them outside protected bubble individually.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

?? My comment implied he wasn't black.

My bad.   Reading too quickly.

8 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

From what I understand from the article I read this morning, he also had trouble communicating. And he was developmentally disabled, I also believe I read he also was mute, and he was using his hands to try to communicate to the police what happened. 

From here.

I feel that in his mind, he was trying to help. 

And that's despite the fact, that it was his father who was the one in the hit and one car. :o 

Police are not properly trained to handle people who have disabilities. Many don't understand something as common as dementia (alzheimers). I've seen a couple that did not realize the person was speaking as they were because their ability to communicate has been compromised. Always, we keep pictures of our residents on file so they can get a visual if by chance, someone goes missing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, susieice said:

Police are not properly trained to handle people who have disabilities. Many don't understand something as common as dementia (alzheimers). I've seen a couple that did not realize the person was speaking as they were because their ability to communicate has been compromised. Always, we keep pictures of our residents on file so they can get a visual if by chance, someone goes missing.

I was feeling a sense of denial, while reading this. I know a few people in my area, who are part of the police, and always felt they were trained in some way to deal with the mentally disabled. I ended up doing a bit of net research, and then realized how many things were reported in the last few years on situations, like the one in this thread. Then I kept reading, that each situation seemed to be a call for police to be trained. 

I'm sorry, but this really shocks me. :o 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stubbly_Dooright said:

I was feeling a sense of denial, while reading this. I know a few people in my area, who are part of the police, and always felt they were trained in some way to deal with the mentally disabled. I ended up doing a bit of net research, and then realized how many things were reported in the last few years on situations, like the one in this thread. Then I kept reading, that each situation seemed to be a call for police to be trained. 

I'm sorry, but this really shocks me. :o 

Me also. Some officers are able to, but many do not recognize the signs of a mental disability. The signs aren't always easy to see until you speak with the person. If the man in this incident was using sign language, the police probably wouldn't have known that.

• Like 2