Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Canada's best UFO sighting still intrigues

Still Waters

The first frantic callers to reach the RCMP were clear: something had crashed in the waters off Shag Harbour, N.S.

It was around 11 p.m. on the night of Oct. 4, 1967. Most witnesses thought it was a doomed aircraft.

Among those who saw the string of flashing lights on that clear, moonless night were three RCMP officers, scores of fishermen and airline pilots flying along the province's rugged southwest coast.

But a series of searches turned up nothing. No wreckage. No bodies. No clues as to what really happened that night 50 years ago.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/canada-s-best-documented-ufo-sighting-still-intrigues-50-years-on-1.3600020

• Like 5

I always thought it was probably a a distress flare that floated on the water after hitting.   I know they said they didn't fine any evidence of a flare but is what?  What would be left of a flare to find the next day?   Second up is a meteor breaking up before hotting the water.   I don't think we'll ever know though and many of the stories that came out later were just silliness.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

Further investigation seems to have cast some doubts on the reports.

no surprise there

• Like 1

Oh so there's doubts? Did they stop seeing sightings? 

I assume people possibility thought they saw something in the sky. 

13 minutes ago, WhispersInTheAttic said:

There was nothing before and nothing after but that is meaningless iIMHO.   They definitely saw something  but what it was is the question.

• Like 3

On 22/09/2017 at 4:35 PM, WhispersInTheAttic said:

I live in Canada and when I look in they sky I see stars at night and sun in the daytime. Does that count as seeing something in the sky? Oh yeah and sometimes I see birds and satellites too.

jmccr8 

• 2 weeks later...

I was on vacation there in the eighties and talked to an old man who was there in his boat when he saw something. It was the first time that I heard about it. He was interesting and convincing that it wasn't the Canadians or Americans that caused whatever happened. Both militaries came to check it out and it was on radar.

• 1 month later...

Possible that it was a downed aircraft or satellite. The probability that it was classified is also likely.

Edited by Trelane