Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's Discuss: Affirmations.

XenoFish

Discuss.......

No I'm not going to start a thread this way.:lol:

An affirmation is a statement that you either verbally or mentally repeat a certain amount of time. Either trying to convince yourself of something, to establish the certainty of something, or the develop of specific mindset. However the wording of an affirmation is only as good as it's meaning to you. Using certain wordings can either create internal tension such as affirming that you are happy and healthy, when you'r fat and miserable. This will make you feel worse. For example a student might formulate a constructive affirmation such as, "I did good on this test, but there is still room for improvement." by affirming this they acknowledge the need to improve. If repeated often enough they might develop an achievers mindset. Then even goes for negative self talk, such as being told or telling yourself, " I'm not /you're not good enough." or " I'm/you're stupid." if these statements are backed by evidence, such as failing grades. They become more 'hardwired' in the subconscious. The key then is not to just affirm something in your life, but to act in accordance to that affirmation. 

What your subconscious script is determines your life, as mindset is everything. Personal success and failure rest on you. What you do and how you see things. 

How should we word affirmation? That's a tricky questions.

"I am"

"I will"

"I desire"

These are the typical start of any affirmation. "I am successful." Well are you? If you're not this statement is negative. However, "I will strive for success in all my efforts." This statement is followed by what you intend to do. Strive for success. It's an action. So again the only way to make this a reality is to act. Even such a simple statement as, "I'm an ever improving cook." well engage a more learning mindset. 

The real "secret" to the supposed law of attraction is how you see the world. Just because you visualize, affirm, and feel grateful doesn't mean that the 'universe' will just give you what you want. At most this will program your subconscious and by doing so you change your subjective filter and the actions you take. You may strive more diligently to achieve whatever goal you desire. Or to remedy a personal flaw. This still require you to act.

Now to my favorite. Symbolic Affirmation, The SIgil. 

A sigil is a symbol who's intention is masked through it's abstract design. Any statement can be converted to a sigil by removing the repeating letters and Frankensteining them into a pictogram. 

Sigil Creation

The perk of the sigil is that while your conscious is aware of the symbol the subconscious understand the meaning, which prevents conscious change to the original meaning. Even if you're not aware of it's meaning. Plus the sigil can be a daily focal point to impress upon the mind something you desire. And the more emotionally meaningful that intent is the greater the effect will be. 

http://sigildaily.com/activating-rituals/

So do you use affirmations? 

What method/s work for you?

Any tips, pointers or suggestions toward this topic?

Let's discuss.

• Like 2

Affirmations are very similar to creative visualisations and come under the umbrella of manifestations. I could pass on some tips for this from what I have gleaned from various books and talks on this topic.  I will wait to see if this is desired first. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, sees said:

Affirmations are very similar to creative visualisations and come under the umbrella of manifestations. I could pass on some tips for this from what I have gleaned from various books and talks on this topic.  I will wait to see if this is desired first. 

The topic is about affirmations and there uses. While I do not believe in external manifestation, I do believe in changing one's mindset and yes sees I am attempting civil communication with you. To clarify what I mean about changing mindset is that by changing how you think you change how you act. Thus creating a change you desire. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

The topic is about affirmations and there uses. While I do not believe in external manifestation, I do believe in changing one's mindset and yes sees I am attempting civil communication with you. To clarify what I mean about changing mindset is that by changing how you think you change how you act. Thus creating a change you desire. 

Yes I am familiar with this.  OK then.  (It is all part of positive thinking which, in your Happy Rainbow Kitty Cat Thoughts thread, I outlined.  You may be pleased to know that positive thinking is now scientifically backed/verified and comes under the subject of neuroplasticity).

1 minute ago, sees said:

Yes I am familiar with this.  OK then.  (It is all part of positive thinking which, in your Happy Rainbow Kitty Cat Thoughts thread, I outlined.  You may be pleased to know that positive thinking is now scientifically backed/verified and comes under the subject of neuroplasticity).

I know this. It's not exactly the positive thinking, it's how the thinking affects you. With everything there are pro's and con's to the type of thinking you do. Even pessimistic thinking can help the individual create a plan to remedy a problem rather than avoid it. Where as positive thinking can kill motivation if done wrong. The general idea that I believe is to have a constructive idea as to what you want to achieve. A goal. 

https://psychologydictionary.org/constructive-thinking/

• Like 4

Constructive thinking is what positive thinking is!

Affirmations are common experiences on spiritual forums but, I guess, you would rather not go there!  :P

As was asked at the beginning of this thread, I meditate daily for positive strides in my life.   I want to make a difference in others' lives with my work so therefore I take steps toward that goal.  

• Like 2

But seriously folks... anyone who knows anything about affirmations knows that they must be in the affirmative (says so right there in the name :)). You can't visualize something you don't want to do, and then mentally draw a line through it, in order to not do that thing. Ever wonder why the 10 Commandments are pretty much all in the negative? "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife."... you know, I never thought of it before...but now that you mention it, she's kind of hot!

• Like 1

I listen to a lot of VNV Nation, and they have a fair number of songs with those things in them. 

I also do the LBRP in my head at least once a day. It keeps all the psychological/Abyss-mal ? nasties away. 

I also do sigils on occasion. 

Edited by ChaosRose

I was hoping this thread would go a specific way without me having to direct it that way, but as I can tell it's not going there. So here's my take on what I consider a constructive affirmation.

"I am happy."

If you've used the above statement you are affirming something you lack. An actually happy person doesn't need to affirm it, because it already is. This is a negative statement. Now a more accurate and constructive statement would be thus.

"I will make the best of today, no matter what happens." 

This statement is not a fact but a view point. It's say that regardless of the days event you will make the post of it, this is not tuning in your subjective filter to the absolute positive, it is neutral. 

Even a basic ritual of taking a few deep breath while verbally or mentally affirming a statement for relaxation is meant for the sole purpose of change your mindset.

With the case of the sigils I mentioned earlier, they can be a visual affirmation. Meant to remind you subconsciously a specific idea or intent.  The most important things is to have something solid to back up a statement. It's not just saying something but doing something to create a better feedback loop.  

• Like 1

In my experience, I find it hard to work with affirmations in some of the currently taught methods. For example, many LoA teachers explain to affirm your appreciation before bed and after waking up and that alone will change your life.

I believe that in today's era, with so much information pounding our brains (mostly irrelevant to expansion of self), our critical thinking factor, or conscious thought, is very skeptical and since affirming is usually done with purpose (meaning it is a conscious act) they tend to create lackluster results.

I feel that if it were really as easy as affirming, for good or "bad", that much in this reality would be chaotic. I feel that affirming only activates what is already inherently there rather than serve as a mechanism to program what one wants to be true.

Based on my own growth and experimenting with this area, if you are interested in benefiting from what the idea of affirmations is about, you must breach pass the conscious into the subconscious and allow a new "pool of thought" to begin forming. Also, check out "Afformations" which are affirmations presented as questions. The question opens a subconscious loop which then the subconscious seeks to close and in doing so creates effective change.

This pool of thought will replace the current "less productive" pool of thought and once that happens your "belief" system has also benefited from this. I discovered that as I purposefully restructured my subconscious pool of thoughts that my conscious dialogue changed inside of my mind. Rather than certain phrases or reactions I was creating better ways of framing and responding to situations.

BTW, I professionally created my own subliminal tracks to reprogram my thought process using 3D sound technology, tones, and a combo of affirmations and afformations. Listening to subliminals during a meditative time and in a meditative state allows the new sequence of thought to pass the consciousness threshold. I do think affirming is useful in certain context, but if done simply by a person's own willpower to "forcefully" change the subconscious mind then it backfires.

Not only does the affirmation not work, your idea ABOUT affirming and being positive also may cause you struggle.

I find it more pleasant and subtle... as well as foundational and long term... to use subliminal programming for creating powerful subconscious change. 

I don't think subliminal audio is a one pill solves all type of approach though, just a tool.

• Like 1

I see what you mean, it appears as if you are actually taking this down a direction of how to create affirmations that work in the present moment?

You're right on that... If you are always saying "I will do...whatever" then you always exist in the state of "will do".

The future doesn't exist so we cannot affirm in the future. We affirm in the present where our current consciousness has the power to choose and respond which creates outcome.

Rather than say.. "I will be loving" or "I will be wealthy" we would affirm "I am loving" or "I am wealthy"...

But herein exists the issue of consciousness slicing the intention behind the affirmation before it has the ability to create impression on the subconscious...

Sigils work because subconscious works in symbolic language. That is why visualization is so effective because the visual is symbolic and impresses upon the subconscious nature (even more powerful when it creates open loop). If we can use this symbolic nature of language to work with our subconscious development then we will consciously notice the external thought process begin changing its course too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Christopher Soma said:

creating powerful subconscious change. 

By converting your affirmation into a symbol (sigil) you can implant this into your subconscious easier. As the subconscious works more through image and emotion. By doing this you've planted a seed into your deep mind which will change you from the inside out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christopher Soma said:

I see what you mean, it appears as if you are actually taking this down a direction of how to create affirmations that work in the present moment?

You're right on that... If you are always saying "I will do...whatever" then you always exist in the state of "will do".

The future doesn't exist so we cannot affirm in the future. We affirm in the present where our current consciousness has the power to choose and respond which creates outcome.

Rather than say.. "I will be loving" or "I will be wealthy" we would affirm "I am loving" or "I am wealthy"...

But herein exists the issue of consciousness slicing the intention behind the affirmation before it has the ability to create impression on the subconscious...

Sigils work because subconscious works in symbolic language. That is why visualization is so effective because the visual is symbolic and impresses upon the subconscious nature (even more powerful when it creates open loop). If we can use this symbolic nature of language to work with our subconscious development then we will consciously notice the external thought process begin changing its course too.

I like you already. lol

I use sigils. I've used them since 2010. They have always worked. However not as a lot of people hope they'd work. Which would make life too easy. Depending on the intention I have in mind when I create one. I tend to come up with a more goal oriented direction. Making a list of at least 5 things I can do to achieve the change I desire. It's a lot like a fat person wishing they were thin. Wish all you want but nothing will change unless you make the change. Even small things add up. But getting that motivation idea into your head without the inner struggle, that is an art. Quite literally.

• Like 2

Just now, XenoFish said:

By converting your affirmation into a symbol (sigil) you can implant this into your subconscious easier. As the subconscious works more through image and emotion. By doing this you've planted a seed into your deep mind which will change you from the inside out.

Yes, absolutely! I enjoy using subliminals to help with this... I find consciousness developing images of what I intend while enjoying the sound of a light rainstorm and music. The images are the symbols developed over repetition. Subconscious programming is definitely a process lol. After a little while of doing this I've noticed that inside my mind I am much more constructive towards myself. I never realized until quite recently how much I actually once sabotaged myself just because my pool of thought was so polluted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I like you already. lol

I use sigils. I've used them since 2010. They have always worked. However not as a lot of people hope they'd work. Which would make life too easy. Depending on the intention I have in mind when I create one. I tend to come up with a more goal oriented direction. Making a list of at least 5 things I can do to achieve the change I desire. It's a lot like a fat person wishing they were thin. Wish all you want but nothing will change unless you make the change. Even small things add up. But getting that motivation idea into your head without the inner struggle, that is an art. Quite literally.

I desire to learn more of this lol. Sigil work is something I am just now introducing into my life. I recognize the symbolic language of the universe, but haven't learned how to actually encode my own mind through them. Sigils can be useful I imagine for creating habit triggers? What I've learned is that a lot of habits are triggered into action, if we can use sigils to reformulate habits this can have subconscious impact which results in actual change. Lol, I need to learn more of this.

• Like 1

It's all in changing those subconscious beliefs in a practice and functional way. I find that if I do it right, whatever I am attempting requires no willpower to achieve, I just do it. No inner struggle, not lack of motivation, just action. Even the most mundane of things can be overcome if your mind is right. Even using a sigil or visualization (whatever works for the individual) can tune your subjective filter so that you notice what you're looking for. A few years ago I created and fired a money sigils. What happened was that I notice and took opportunities to obtain what I needed. I consider this a "new car" things. You buy a new car and notice more of them on the road, but they were always there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Christopher Soma said:

I desire to learn more of this lol. Sigil work is something I am just now introducing into my life. I recognize the symbolic language of the universe, but haven't learned how to actually encode my own mind through them. Sigils can be useful I imagine for creating habit triggers? What I've learned is that a lot of habits are triggered into action, if we can use sigils to reformulate habits this can have subconscious impact which results in actual change. Lol, I need to learn more of this.

Ask away. Sigils are my thing. I've done them for almost 10 years (7 actually). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Ask away. Sigils are my thing. I've done them for almost 10 years (7 actually). 

When working with sigils, do you draw them out? Or do you take an object such as a butterfly, or feather, and ascribe meaning to it? I currently have been working with subliminal audio. This is been revolutionary in my life. I can only imagine combining the two together would create a nice subtle entanglement of co creative manifesting. BTW I also agree with you about external manifestation not being the actual case. I tend to view it as emergence... we come from abundance and are always linked to it... we are abundance in that sense, rather than manifest from an external source we simply bridge a gap within ourselves which allows whatever intention to emerge from us, through us, and for us to enjoy.

Sorry about the digression, I really want to know about how you use a sigil.. your process I mean.

Also, might be a side note... does this have anything to do with "sigil magic"? I've studied into some sigil work (Keys of Solomon, Fotamecus).... Is this similar?

Edited by Christopher Soma
typing/spelling error

Just now, Christopher Soma said:

When working with sigils, do you draw them out? Or do you take an object such as a butterfly, or feather, and ascribe meaning to it? I currently have been working with subliminal audio. This is been revolutionary in my life. I can only imagine combining the two together would create a nice subtle entanglement of co creative manifesting. BTW I also agree with you about external manifestation not being the actual case. I tend to view it as emergence... we come from abundance and are always linked to it... we are abundance in that sense, rather than manifest from an external source we simply bridge a gap within ourselves which allows whatever intention to emerge from us, through us, and for us to enjoy.

Sorry about the digression, I really want to know about how you use a sigil.. your process I mean.

This is my thread and I'm not complaining, been a while since someone actually got what I was getting at so I'm glad.

For the sigils I write down whatever it is that I seek. Some objective, maybe a change in mindset, whatever. Once I have a clear and direct statement I remove the repeating letters and craft them into a symbol. The more abstract the better. This symbol maybe emotionally charge either during the creation process because of mood or though whatever means works best for you. Draw it out on a sticky note and watch cat videos, seriously, whatever works for you.

2 minutes ago, Christopher Soma said:

Also, might be a side note... does this have anything to do with "sigil magic"? I've studied into some sigil work (Keys of Solomon, Fotamecus).... Is this similar?

Yes, but not in the occult sense really. Most of the sigil work in occultism revolves around entities that no one knows if they factually exist. Plus that was something I never cared for. The sigil method I'm talking about it the same except it's directed at the self, you. I believe through experience that external out of nowhere magick doesn't exist. Never seen it happen and I've been at it for a long time. But I do know that if you change your subconscious beliefs, you change, and by changing yourself your life changes. 

Magick as in occultism is just a form of theatrical psychology. If you strip it of it's religious aspects, you've got a bunch of self-help techniques.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Magick as in occultism is just a form of theatrical psychology. If you strip it of it's religious aspects, you've got a bunch of self-help techniques.

Holy Truth! Lol!

That is why the idea of magic and "esotericism" can be powerful... they work as symbols to transport the lesson so to speak.

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

For the sigils I write down whatever it is that I seek. Some objective, maybe a change in mindset, whatever. Once I have a clear and direct statement I remove the repeating letters and craft them into a symbol. The more abstract the better.

I really like this. I know of certain areas I must tend to, and while on a broad level subliminal has its role, I can see how this symbolic sigil method can be very direct and subconsciously engaging.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge! 

BTW one more digression... Fotamecus was supposedly a sigil created by a few "druids" who imbued a time-control state of consciousness or mechanic. I know that your method of creating sigils is directly tied to internal states of mind which create actions and results in alignment. For example, you want to change your productivity on a project, you would then create a sigil that gets you to work instantly to complete the project...

But outside of using our mind to affect ourselves.... If we consider the idea that our consciousness can actually enhance or affect our experience of reality - maybe even causes direct existence of reality (biocentric universe theory), could this intention be applied into a sigil which holds the power of that conscious directive?

I guess what I'm asking is assuming our consciousness does have the ability to alter reality, do you think that could be applied to a self utilized sigil?

This question may be beyond this thread or your interest, you don't have to answer. More for my own reasoning than anything... Just thought I'd ask since you've got experience in this area lol.