Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump blasts NFL anthem protesters

toast

39 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

I do have an issue with the President calling Americans engaging in a peaceful protest son's of b****es. 

Exactly, thats the key point of this thread and I`m wondering that the most of the responses here are not about that strange issue but about payment blahblahblah. Maybe #45 managed successfully already that a lot of people get more and more blunted about his contemptuous rhetorical rants.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bmk1245 said:

It is a matter of decency. Lets say you are holding memorial for your deceased parent, and some folks, during minute of silence, are laughing, making jokes, etc. What your reaction would be for such behavior? I bet, that wouldn't be "Ah, OK, have fun, folks". Are any laws 'bout that?

Thats a total different scene and has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

1 hour ago, bmk1245 said:

Ah, everything for muzzies is hard, figure...

this here is you not exactly helping your case ...

~

• Like 1

Eh, not pledging the flag can be a religious issue too.  I know of some Jehovah's witnesses that say it's idol worship or something to that effect.

Seems we are just using business as a cover to strip rights away as it is.  You have to choose between your free speech rights or your job.  And everyone has to have a job.

They should just have it in their contract whether or not to stand for the anthem.  Pretty sure it's not in there now, so they should be free to do whatever they please.

Not sure why we play the anthem at domestic sports events anyways.  I know for a fact the average American watching on TV doesn't stand up from his sofa when it plays.  It just smacks of false patriotism to me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

They should just have it in their contract whether or not to stand for the anthem

What if the player is not an American ?

~

58 minutes ago, toast said:

Thats a total different scene and has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Hm... OK

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malarion said:

Such a grand old tradition someone is breaking. 

He was using his celebrity to make a statement of a magnitude he otherwise could not have accomplished.  He could have stayed in the locker room and come on the field AFTER respect was shown to the flag.  He chose to protest and it has spread, in a small way, to other players.  NFL viewership is tanking and Kaepernick seems to have become an untouchable commodity.  He is free to protest and so are millions of NFL fans.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lilly said:

Indignities? As in being paid 20 million dollars to play professional football? You don't bring your politics to the work place. You do your job and take your political expressions to an appropriate location. And please don't tell me the NFL is racist. The NFL has made more African American men millionaires than just about any other organization I can think of.

Not only has the NFL made them millionaires, But companies that pay them millions to sell their product.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, and then said:

He was using his celebrity to make a statement of a magnitude he otherwise could not have accomplished.  He could have stayed in the locker room and come on the field AFTER respect was shown to the flag.  He chose to protest and it has spread, in a small way, to other players.  NFL viewership is tanking and Kaepernick seems to have become an untouchable commodity.  He is free to protest and so are millions of NFL fans.

Sure he is (they are), but why he (they) didn't left the field (stadium)... Thats the question.

• Like 1

I dunno, I guess we really are a country of delicate little snowflakes.  It's way to easy to trigger people these days with any little action you may or may not do.  I wouldn't have even noticed Kaepernick if everyone didn't have a hissy fit over him.  Even the president is triggered by it. 

What happened to the good old days where people just ignored stuff like this.  Sports and politics shouldn't even be related.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gromdor said:

I dunno, I guess we really are a country of delicate little snowflakes.  It's way to easy to trigger people these days with any little action you may or may not do.  I wouldn't have even noticed Kaepernick if everyone didn't have a hissy fit over him.  Even the president is triggered by it. 

What happened to the good old days where people just ignored stuff like this.  Sports and politics shouldn't even be related.

Worst case scenario. Not there yet, but close enough.

9 hours ago, Lilly said:

You play a game in a country that has the wealth and freedom allowing for sports teams. These sports teams pay you millions and millions of dollars. And, what do you choose to do? You choose disrespect the very country that has provided your success.

They aren't 'disrespecting' anyone or anything, least of all this country.   On what planet is it disrespectful to protest inequality, disrespectful to whom exactly?  The people who champion inequality?  Good.

At exactly what income level do people lose their right to protest or speak (I could have sworn that you said you were a 'Constitutionalist' on multiple occasions...) without this weird argument that they should instead shut up because they are wealthy?  Our president is supposedly awfully wealthy, why didn't he lose his right to complain about everything, very little of which actually affects him.  These protesters care enough about their country and its citizens to take risks with their free expression and suffer the consequences.  In most situations we refer to such people as being, 'patriotic'.  

More importantly, even if we ignore what they say they are protesting and assume they were doing this to make some all-encompassing statement about the country, exactly what part of American history are you expecting black people to honor and revere anyway?

• Like 7

Doesn't the whole Free Speech aspect of the First Amendment protect you from government retaliation for expressing political commentary? Sounds like the government is retaliating against political commentary to me.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Kurzweil said:

I stand because it makes me feel good. It makes me feel proud. I kind of feel sorry for those who don't share that feeling. 

I'm glad you feel good and proud, seriously.

But there are those that don't.

We shouldn't feel sorry for them, just be happy for them as I'm happy for you.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

They aren't 'disrespecting' anyone or anything, least of all this country.

My question is, who cares even if they were? Seriously. A free country means that we're free to disrespect the very country we live in. Agree or disagree, it's irrelevant, cause it's free.

I agree with you that they aren't at all being disrespectful. Just sayin, who cares if they were?

Just now, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

I beg your pardon?

In reference to the Trump tweet, not you.

Sorry, my memes should clarify... :wacko:

Apology accepted. Seriously though, tone down the memes they are becoming annoying.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

Apology accepted. Seriously though, tone down the memes they are becoming annoying.

Sorry, will do.

12 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

My question is, who cares even if they were? Seriously. A free country means that we're free to disrespect the very country we live in. Agree or disagree, it's irrelevant, cause it's free.

I agree with you that they aren't at all being disrespectful. Just sayin, who cares if they were?

That's a good point.  I don't see anything in the attitude or perspective of the Founding Fathers that justifies the whole, 'everyone should stand with their hand over their heart during the national anthem out of honor to our country', especially at meaningless entertainment functions.  It's a flag and a song at a game, not a crucifix and reverential hymn at a funeral.  

To me being pressured to honor and revere national symbols is just so North Korean.  Let's not be like North Korea.

Edited by Liquid Gardens
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

That's a good point.  I don't see anything in the attitude or perspective of the Founding Fathers that justifies the whole, 'everyone should stand with their hand over their heart during the national anthem out of honor to our country', especially at meaningless entertainment functions.  It's a flag and a song at a game, not a crucifix and reverential hymn at a funeral.  

To me being pressured to honor and revere national symbols is just so North Korean.  Let's not be like North Korea.

Exactly. If people don't feel enough honor and reverence towards this country for some reason, it should be a sign. A call to action from said country to fix whatever it is the people feel dishonor towards.

Rather than forcing people to honor America, why not do something to earn their honor in the first place?

• Like 4