Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump blasts NFL anthem protesters

toast

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

It's time to retire the whole game. It's literally killing people. 

I'd like to think we've evolved past the Coliseum days. 

I don't really like this. The end of the game. But it is inevitable, sorry to say.

He wants to be against killing people, and yet he's playing a game that's killing people. 

And Trump grandstands while admonishing grandstanding.

It's all stupid. 

• Like 7

In the real world people rather respect each other, regardless of race.

Except the brainwashed youth and the incoragable. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

He wants to be against killing people, and yet he's playing a game that's killing people. 

And Trump grandstands while admonishing grandstanding.

It's all stupid. 

Screw it. I'm going to the bar!

• Like 1

Just now, Will Due said:

Screw it. I'm going to the bar!

**** it. Let's go bowling. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

You really don't like young people do you?

I LOVE young people.

I LIKE to keep the incoragable and the not to aware of reality brainwashed types at arms length.

These days, most of these are not old, that's for sure AK. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

I LOVE young people.

I LIKE to keep the incoragable and the not to aware of reality brainwashed types at arms length.

These days, most of these are not old, that's for sure AK. 

I'm just saying. There've been a number of times you've complained of young people on here, so I'm just wondering what's your beef?

You're starting to sound like an old geezer on the front porch complainin' bout the latest generation goin' to hell in a handbag while whistlin' bout the 'good ol days'.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I'm just saying. There've been a number of times you've complained of young people on here, so I'm just wondering what's your beef?

You're starting to sound like an old geezer on the front porch complainin' bout the latest generation goin' to hell in a handbag while whistlin' bout the 'good ol days'.

Ya know, when I was a kid in the sixties, a whole lot of old geezers would come up to me and my friends when we were sitting on our bikes in front of the store and rudely stop in front of us and with a menacing look on their face say:

"You damn kids are going to ruin this country"

They were right. Because some of my friends, after smoking a lot of dope in high school and having a lot of fun railing about Nixon and the war, went off to college and dedicated themselves to eventually run the place.

Today, they are so-called professors and having run out of anything legitimate to protest against now, they whine about school bathrooms and business men who speak their minds to get elected who now sits in Nixon's chair.

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Ya know, when I was a kid in the sixties, a whole lot of old geezers would come up to me and my friends when we were sitting on our bikes in front of the store and rudely stop in front of us and with a menacing look on their face say:

"You damn kids are going to ruin this country"

They were right. Because some of my friends, after smoking a lot of dope in high school and having a lot of fun railing about Nixon and the war, went off to college and dedicated themselves to eventually run the place.

Today, they are so-called professors and having run out of anything legitimate to protest against now, they whine about school bathrooms and business men who speak their minds to get elected who now sits in Nixon's chair.

You know, I just had a crazy idea.

How about we stop labeling people this and that and treat EVERYONE as an individual. Then we won't ever commit the logical error of assuming someone to think/act/support/etc. the things that we think they do.

Clears the mind of all prejudice.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

You know, I just had a crazy idea.

How about we stop labeling people this and that and treat EVERYONE as an individual. Then we won't ever commit the logical error of assuming someone to think/act/support/etc. the things that we think they do.

Clears the mind of all prejudice.

Terrific idea. But all the people will need to stop watching all media and reading all "news" articles to achieve this.

You do understand why don't you?

Just now, Will Due said:

Terrific idea. But all the people will need to stop watching all media and reading all "news" articles to achieve this.

You do understand why don't you?

Please enlighten me.

Because from my stand point it isn't remotely necessary.

I am an old geezer, I have earned it day by day. I have worked for 46 years with very short terms of unemployment.  I am watching my third or fourth generation of young people parade by.  Compared to the real b****** I was and the ones I grew up with, they are not that bad.

I am a white ol' Southern geezer  with a family full of veterans.  My baby sister is still on station in Japan. In an idyllic sense, veterans fought for the United States of America and the principles that it stands for.  Not a piece of cloth but the ideas behind it.  Now comes along a young man who you say is rich, spoiled, and disrespectful by kneeling during the anthem.

He is being quiet, not intimidating  and I would say he is being respectful.  He is not protesting for himself, for more money or anything of the like.  He is in a public forum using his voice or his actions to speak for those who don't have a voice.  In a sense, that is both brave and patriotic.  

I don't have the experience of being a young or old black person, Hispanic, Asian, or Native American.  I can't really put myself in their place and imagine how bad it would feel to be a second class citizen in a country that your family and ancestors have fought and died for.  When I see him, my thought is that maybe we should listen to him and see for ourselves what we can make better to improve America for our kids and grandkids.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I am an old geezer, I have earned it day by day. I have worked for 46 years with very short terms of unemployment.  I am watching my third or fourth generation of young people parade by.  Compared to the real b****** I was and the ones I grew up with, they are not that bad.

I am a white ol' Southern geezer  with a family full of veterans.  My baby sister is still on station in Japan. In an idyllic sense, veterans fought for the United States of America and the principles that it stands for.  Not a piece of cloth but the ideas behind it.  Now comes along a young man who you say is rich, spoiled, and disrespectful by kneeling during the anthem.

He is being quiet, not intimidating  and I would say he is being respectful.  He is not protesting for himself, for more money or anything of the like.  He is in a public forum using his voice or his actions to speak for those who don't have a voice.  In a sense, that is both brave and patriotic.  

I don't have the experience of being a young or old black person, Hispanic, Asian, or Native American.  I can't really put myself in their place and imagine how bad it would feel to be a second class citizen in a country that your family and ancestors have fought and died for.  When I see him, my thought is that maybe we should listen to him and see for ourselves what we can make better to improve America for our kids and grandkids.

Absolutely beautiful passage. :tu: Well said.

• Like 3

I always think it's childish when people burn the flag or disrespect it. 

I understand it a form of protest but there are many other mediums that can be used. 

That being said I think the presidents reaction was uncalled for and also childish.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Doesn't the whole Free Speech aspect of the First Amendment protect you from government retaliation for expressing political commentary? Sounds like the government is retaliating against political commentary to me.

Trump doesn't have the authority to order anyone in private industry to be fired.  He was making a political point, which he is free to do.  Kaepernick is just reaping the whirlwind from his own, odious behavior.  The NFL is about PROFIT and when that starts being negatively affected, something is going to give.  Even the K man's own mom is disgusted with him.  Someday he's going to look back on this and realize what a monumental mistake he made, though I doubt he'd ever admit it to anyone.  Again, it isn't about his right to free speech.  It is about his desire to use a very public platform that he only has access to because of his job.  If he used social media or took his place among a crowd of BLM protesters he wouldn't be facing nearly as much of a backlash. He insinuated politics into a much-beloved game and people happen to have become ILL at all the politics since last November.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Odin11 said:

Right because what happens in the lives of about 1,000 black men completely negates what happens in the lives of the other 42 million.

I want to know the answer to LG's question:  At exactly what income level do people lose their right to protest or speak?

You really need to get out of that bubble you live in.

I assume you've eaten at a fast food restaurant?  Did you notice the uniforms they wore?  Care to guess what would happen to a minimum wage employee who demanded his freedom of speech/expression by refusing to wear that uniform?  It isn't about money.  It's about agreeing to behave in an acceptable manner while on duty.  If the freedom is that important then they just need to find other employment.  Funny, when I was growing up, we never had to have that explained to us.  We understood it intuitively from childhood.  I think Kaepernick will miss his 14 million a year job LONG before the 49's miss him.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, and then said:

I assume you've eaten at a fast food restaurant?  Did you notice the uniforms they wore?  Care to guess what would happen to a minimum wage employee who demanded his freedom of speech/expression by refusing to wear that uniform?  It isn't about money.  It's about agreeing to behave in an acceptable manner while on duty.  If the freedom is that important then they just need to find other employment.  Funny, when I was growing up, we never had to have that explained to us.  We understood it intuitively from childhood.  I think Kaepernick will miss his 14 million a year job LONG before the 49's miss him.

If it's not about money, why do people against the protest keep bringing it up? Can I ask: what part of my post made you think I thought it was about money? It was a question to someone who clearly thinks that having money means they have no right to speak out about injustices. But you're right it's not about money, it's about conviction.

38 minutes ago, and then said:

At exactly what income level do people lose their right to protest or speak?

This is what I was responding to.  My point was that employees have an obligation to act within an acceptable limit when on the job.  Even minimum wage earners.  The fact that he was making more in a year than most can earn in a lifetime does not excuse him from this standard and he's learning that lesson every time another team hires a less talented QB and passes him over.  Employers have a right to decide whether they want to risk damage to their earnings because one of their employees has a crisis of conscience.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, and then said:

This is what I was responding to.  My point was that employees have an obligation to act within an acceptable limit when on the job.  Even minimum wage earners.  The fact that he was making more in a year than most can earn in a lifetime does not excuse him from this standard and he's learning that lesson every time another team hires a less talented QB and passes him over.  Employers have a right to decide whether they want to risk damage to their earnings because one of their employees has a crisis of conscience.

But, why can't the employees keep their views to themselves while at work, or, don't associate the employer with whatever views are being espoused.

• Like 2

If the president believes that it is disrespectful for players and others not to stand for the flag. Maybe, politically, he should do something about it. Honestly investigate the reasons, consider if policies or governmental guidance is required and act. 

People will willingly show respect for things they respect, and the easiest way imo to gain respect, is to show respect.

Again imo It is not he flag they are dis-respecting but the implementation of governance at one level or another.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

Again imo It is not he flag they are dis-respecting but the implementation of governance at one level or another.

It's hard to respect your government, given the leadership at present.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, toyomotor said:

Insightful and imo correct, - especially since I think you had a different government in mind from that which would be considered mine - think more on Months of the year, perhaps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toyomotor said:

The government?

WE THE PEOPLE are the government. 

We finally have a leader that is doing everything he can to put the authority of the government back in the hands of the people and take it away from the criminals who have hijacked it. 

Bend at the knee.

• Like 2