Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump blasts NFL anthem protesters

toast

So I just heard that at the NFL game in London they knelt for our National Anthem and stood up for God save the Queen. 

Wonderful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Agent0range said:

And it is NOT the Presidents place to tell the employer what to do.  You are completely missing the point of this entirely.

He didn’t. He asked “wouldn’t it be nice if???” The NFL is about to find out today just how many people agree with those sentiments. The Steelers will stay in the locker room today for the anthem. Tomlin says he’s doing it simply to avoid the situation entirely. Well I’ll be tuning out. 

Meanwhile a slew of owners and coaches and Goodell have come out with statements about how disrespectful and unnecessary the president’s comments were. How absurd that he would use such a platform to espouse such views they say. What spineless hypocrites when they couldn’t muster half the courage to say an ounce of that to the players pssing off their fans across the country.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, toyomotor said:

It's hard to respect your government, given the leadership at present.

This form of protest has been going on long before Trump came into office. I guess they didn't respect Obama either.

• Like 6

I just watched the dozen or so Patriots players who took a knee get what people are saying were the loudest boos ever heard at Gillette stadium!

ALL of the Houston Texans stood arm in arm showing unity for our GREAT FLAG!!!!

Edited by .ZZ.
  • Like 6

On 9/23/2017 at 7:09 AM, Lilly said:

You don't bring your politics to the work place.

^This. If you're a band, late night talk show host, sports team, etc. that makes a living being in the public eye, the fastest way to lose 1/2 of your fan base is to bring politics into the mix. Just ask the Dixie Chicks lol

• Like 4

9 hours ago, toyomotor said:

But, why can't the employees keep their views to themselves while at work, or, don't associate the employer with whatever views are being espoused.

This is the reasonable standard, IMO.  It's just common sense that acting in a controversial manner can bring negative consequences in an industry that is based on keeping the most eyes (and wallets) tuned to the product/game.  If these same players were to gather and protest with BLM, donate money to their cause or speak in the communities most ravaged by the violence they are protesting, they would be far more respected than when they simply make the point in a way that is perceived as disrespecting our national emblem.  The NFL owners are in a no-win situation, now.  They will lose viewership if they fire or suspend these players and they'll also lose if they continue to support them.  My guess is that they'll lose less if they suspended them and made rules that no protests could be allowed DURING the game or pre/post game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

That’s rich. They stand to hail a monarchy. A monarchy whose history includes extreme suppression, imperialism and the importing of slavery to America. Good grief.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, F3SS said:

He didn’t. He asked “wouldn’t it be nice if???” The NFL is about to find out today just how many people agree with those sentiments. The Steelers will stay in the locker room today for the anthem. Tomlin says he’s doing it simply to avoid the situation entirely. Well I’ll be tuning out. 

Meanwhile a slew of owners and coaches and Goodell have come out with statements about how disrespectful and unnecessary the president’s comments were. How absurd that he would use such a platform to espouse such views they say. What spineless hypocrites when they couldn’t muster half the courage to say an ounce of that to the players pssing off their fans across the country.

Awww, do the players kneeling trigger you, therefore you can't stand to tune in?  How sad.  Talk about mustering the courage to say half that to the players...Trump didn't say anything CLOSE to calling Nazis that killed a woman sons of b****es.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

Awww, do the players kneeling trigger you, therefore you can't stand to tune in?  How sad.  Talk about mustering the courage to say half that to the players...Trump didn't say anything CLOSE to calling Nazis that killed a woman sons of b****es.

That’s because he’s clearly hitlers son and I’m not going to give these guys the ratings they need to earn a paycheck. They do something I don’t appreciate therefore I’ll do something they won’t appreciate. I’m not alone here. The nfl is and wil suffer for this. To be fair I’m not a big sports watcher in the first place but I always watch the Steelers. Not today though.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, F3SS said:

That’s because he’s clearly hitlers son and I’m not going to give these guys the ratings they need to earn a paycheck. They do something I don’t appreciate therefore I’ll do something they won’t appreciate. I’m not alone here. The nfl is and wil suffer for this. To be fair I’m not a big sports watcher in the first place but I always watch the Steelers. Not today though.

So, do you support the President of the United States calling citizens exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights sons of b****es?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

So, do you support the President of the United States calling citizens exercising their constitutionally guaranteed rights sons of b****es?

Yea sure why not? He holds the same right to an opinion we all do. Doesn’t mean we have to like it.

• Like 3

Kneeling a sign of disrespect?  That's rather new isn't it?  People kneel to pray, people kneel to some heads of state, always as a sign of respect.

I have witnessed  gloved raised fist shouting defiance when I saw a Black panther gathering.  It is altogether different and somewhat intimidating.

These people kneeling are respectful and almost supplicating, they are asking for redress in a quiet way.  They are using the power they have to send out their message to those they can reach. The fact that it sets some people off so easily is rather telling of our society.

I see it as ironic that people who support bakers refusing to follow the law of the land and bake a wedding cake for gay couples or businesses that refuse birth control insurance because of religious beliefs are lauded by many.  If you want to be consistent then tell them to practice their religion on their own time and follow the rules at work.  If you want to be Christian, then then ask yourself if Colin Kaepernick is following a higher call than sports or $14 million dollars. Maybe the NFL won't miss him, maybe he would choose to be true to himself and his beliefs. 

• Like 4

Just when I thought things couldn't get anymore farcically absurd  ...

~

• Like 3

3 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

I just watched the dozen or so Patriots players who took a knee get what people are saying were the loudest boos ever heard at Gillette stadium!

ALL of the Houston Texans stood arm in arm showing unity for our GREAT FLAG!!!!

So did the Philadelphia Eagles, along with their owner. The Steelers did not go on the field until after the National Anthem was played.

http://6abc.com/sports/eagles-link-arms-during-national-anthem/2449397/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Just when I thought things couldn't get anymore farcically absurd  ...

~

But ... they are really bad Americans!!!!!!!1!

• Like 1

Just now, FLOMBIE said:

But ... they are really bad Americans!!!!!!!1!

Not so much 'bad' but rather not 'good' enough according to #45 ... which brings to mind, I wonder if the AMA, Grammy, Emmy and Oscars will need his approval on who deserves the awards this year ....

~

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Not so much 'bad' but rather not 'good' enough according to #45 ... which brings to mind, I wonder if the AMA, Grammy, Emmy and Oscars will need his approval on who deserves the awards this year ....

~

I'm sure he'll let us know about his opinion. Just imagine the "really, really bad actress" Meryl Streep would be among the winners. 

• Like 4

Just now, FLOMBIE said:

I'm sure he'll let us know about his opinion. Just imagine the "really, really bad actress" Meryl Streep would be among the winners. 

GMTA ... :lol:

Exactly what's roiling on my mind ...

~

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Lilly said:

Not standing for the National Anthem is obviously an act of disrespect, and it is an act that one can most certainly choose to take, but only on their own time. When one is playing professional football one is being employed by the NFL and they are at work. When you are at work you are representing your employer and should act accordingly.

The NFL doesn't require that players to stand for the National Anthem:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/27/nfl-players-are-encouraged-but-not-required-to-stand-for-national-anthem/

The players who choose to kneel aren't in violation of any workplace rules.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, yesnomaybe said:

The NFL doesn't require that players to stand for the National Anthem:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/27/nfl-players-are-encouraged-but-not-required-to-stand-for-national-anthem/

The players who choose to kneel aren't in violation of any workplace rules.

No, they're in violation of something much worse. 

The violation of the rule of life.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Will Due said:

No, they're in violation of something much worse. 

The violation of the rule of life.

I have mixed feelings on this mess, but....

Dude, i am so using your line there next time someone spills my whiskey! 

"Bro, you have just violated the rule life!"

I understand why people are offended. I dont really understand what the kneelers are protesting though..

If its the U.S. in general, why not just leave?

• Like 2

“The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

“During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/09/24/were-not-going-to-play-politics-steelers-mike-tomlin-says-team-wont-take-the-field-for-anthem/?utm_term=.2da85f217e31

• Like 3