Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

You and the Multiverse

aka CAT

On September 27, 2017 at 7:56 AM, I'mConvinced said:

It's a fascinating theory but [...]

May we have collectively answered most of your questions by now.  The a-v, embedded in your last post, examples the "52 factorial" well enough to dissuade any of us from trying to wrap our minds around an infinite number of possibilities.  

On September 27, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Essan said:

The problem with the idea of multiverses [...]

See my previous post and last reply.  I initially chose to recognize different parallel universes in a foot note to infer the fact that our perceptions of reality are, at least, as legitimate as any models used to speculate about and, thus, better define it.  Nonetheless, even as the representation isn't the thing itself, its limits together with the possibilities by posed by it give us a common basis for easier reference.

On September 27, 2017 at 8:16 AM, XenoFish said:

So nothing we do matters. Which means there is an infinite number of me, all living a meaningless life. 

Not that this thread is to invalidate anyone's perception but, if things were completely meaningless, we wouldn't bother to seek understanding by now communicating.  So, in our delving into the unexpected, let's leave room for our being surprised especially by self-discovery.

On September 27, 2017 at 0:53 PM, The Narcisse said:

I like to imagine a version of me out there who isn't a total loser...however unlikely that might be.

I hope you, too, will surprise yourself.  For example, in reconsidering this morning a promise I made years ago, I realized how puny was my idea of self-sacrifice in light of how little it left to be fulfilled in God whom is great.  Still, instead of despairing, I think: better late than never.

On September 27, 2017 at 9:39 AM, ChaosRose said:

There are some experiences that are so traumatic that they become defining moments. There is before and after those events. And people explore Dark Night of the Soul because of them. 

People who undergo a lot of adversity probably learn more, but it comes at a high price. 

There is a price to pay for everything, whereas not only are some things more worthwhile some things are truly fun to investigate.

P.S. Because my work was lost before I could reply, I can but yet look forward to replying to Will Due and White Unicorn.

God love y'all.

Edited by aka CAT

ChaosRose, as I had to hurry to get my evening chores done before dark, pardon the awkwardness of my last statement to you.  It was as much a reminder to myself that, though life too much involves difficult lessons, learning can also be quite enjoyable.

On September 27, 2017 at 10:52 AM, acute said:

I totally believe in the branching multiverse theory. I can't explain the reason why (even to myself!) but it just feels right.

:-D Hi, acute.  Would I ever look you?  If you recall something remarkable for feeling particularly right, please tell us about that instance. 

Edited by aka CAT

On September 27, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Will Due said:

I know exactly which decisions I made that altered my path for the better and for the worse.

Hard as I've tried to repent and make amends for my trespasses and much as I hope to continually become more virtuous, I'm certain that I don't know the full repercussions of my deeds to date.  

On September 27, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Will Due said:

"It requires a great and noble character, having started out wrong, to turn about and go right. All too often one's own mind tends to justify continuance in the path of error [...]

For the purpose of public discussion, it's understandable why the way we were at times makes for generalities or a more beautiful song with lyrics worth observing, i.e. "Memories may be beautiful and, yet, what's too painful to remember we simply choose to forget."  Otherwise, might we cite excerpts by published authors or anonymous sources about how a change in behavior can transform an individual and, by breaking a vicious cycle, free others to live somewhat more productive and happier lives?  After all, hasn't insanity been more or less defined as repeating the same behavior again and again when it never works?

On September 27, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Will Due said:

I know that it was to my great detriment to think the way you've described. That I am enslaved to fate. That I had no control of my destiny, and what I could decide to identify myself with as a matter of higher principal than what I thought of before.

There is some ambiguity about, presumably, your thus talking about yourself in past tense and I'mConvinced in present tense.  Are you not urging others to denounce fate and, by identifying with a higher power, take greater control over their lives?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, White Unicorn said:

I find that is an hypothesis interesting to explore and ponder but it's mind boggling when you consider it might be true in reality!

I try to make sense of the woo as unexperiencers  call it.

One of my woo experiences one morning was I envisioned myself in a car accident and I  was calling my insurance and the police. I vividly envisioned a gray truck coming fast going the wrong way on a road and turned into the alley fast as it rear ended me as I was pulling out of a store's parking lot. 

That morning I was planning on going to the store in the vision. So I had choices to dismiss it as some psychological babble of my own mind, be afraid and avoid going to the store or go to the store. Each choice has a different ending in some kind of parallel world of thoughts not really a reality until time passes and fate comes into play because of your choices made. Maybe sometimes we can see or feel the choices of which universe we choose at certain points?

So that day I wrote my morning visions and told my spouse about it who said well just don't go.

In reality I chose to go to the store but was very cautious and extra observant.  As I backed up I saw the gray truck coming at me from the one way road not to hit an oncoming car. I was already backed up partially out of the parking space and quickly changed gears to forward and went over the front parking curb to avoid an accident and almost hit the store front. He screeched his brakes not to hit me.  

The accident never happened in reality but I know somewhere the thought of choice existed for me to forsee an accident and to avoid it. The choice that I made was different then the events of the choices from the vision that I thought I had, since I didn't think of a choice of avoiding an accident and that is what really happened.  I often wonder if that means there are many parallel universes in reality? Or does it just exist in a shared thought outside of time  and there aren't  parallel universes in reality? 

I admire how you resisted your letting fear paralyze you by, instead, cautiously confronting it in a way as direct as self-empowering.  Were it me, I'd have to credit my guardian angel.  Fortunately, I did recently realize how much I've disparaged mine in comparison with my husband's protector.  The shameful fact is sheerly indicative of which of us mere mortals is denser.

Thank you for the 'ice breaker,' as I'm tempted to herein elaborate upon my once feeling torn between this world and another that, except for my loving mate, seemed truer... maybe later, because my posts' having invariably been lost while in progress and my consequently having writ and rewritten everything makes it seem as though I have been forever in acknowledging your and other contributors' generosity--

It's already tomorrow?

serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Ft0.gstatic.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcRs0XHBk28p97jVlukZPO-UU3WC9a4Jo7hK5H_hg6Kc6hNOyMj_&sp=d4d89ff33830fa6bb0b50bdb3fa9932a&anticache=912985

:sleepy: Good night.

Edited by aka CAT
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, aka CAT said:

Hard as I've tried to repent and make amends for my trespasses and much as I hope to continually become more virtuous, I'm certain that I don't know the full repercussions of my deeds to date.  

For the purpose of public discussion, it's understandable why the way we were at times makes for generalities or a more beautiful song with lyrics worth observing, i.e. "Memories may be beautiful and, yet, what's too painful to remember we simply choose to forget."  Otherwise, might we cite excerpts by published authors or anonymous sources about how a change in behavior can transform an individual and, by breaking a vicious cycle, free others to live somewhat more productive and happier lives?  After all, hasn't insanity been more or less defined as repeating the same behavior again and again when it never works?

There is some ambiguity about, presumably, your thus talking about yourself in past tense and I'mConvinced in present tense.  Are you not urging others to denounce fate and, by identifying with a higher power, take greater control over their lives?

Yes. Self-control and more self-control is the way to go. I'm not there yet but every step is a step in the right direction. 

"It requires a great and noble character, having started out wrong, to turn about and go right. All too often one's own mind tends to justify continuance in the path of error when once it is entered upon."

- The Urantia Book 

• Like 1

On September 29, 2017 at 6:00 AM, Will Due said:

Yes. Self-control and more self-control is the way to go. I'm not there yet but every step is a step in the right direction. 

On the surface it would seem so, only that I'd much prefer my being surrendered completely to a higher power.

Will Due et al,

A correction and an apology: First, I merely meant to rib acute by asking, Did you really think I'd [over]look you?  Second, after creating the expectation that I had something more to add, I had many second thoughts about broaching delicate subjects. 

It is difficult to sugar-coat the agony that takes place in a trauma center.  So, suffice it to say that I know what it is like to feel summoned from afar and, then, to be so mesmerized with the summoner as to insist that he never leave me behind in a hospitable, even though I, post-comatose, had yet to recall the most basic implications of matrimony.  Laughable as were some of those moments, it is understandable why a woman with a nearly blank memory and the maturity of a three-year old would need assurance of her still being loved even after such a second honeymoon.

That was neither my first brush with death nor sense of otherworldliness, since I went from dare devil to conservative scholar to, two years prior to the aforementioned head injury, my gradually being poisoned nearly to death as a result of a misdiagnosis compounded by neglectful malpractice.  That incompetence resulted in my hallucinating many worlds layered within the one whereabout I presume we share common understandings.  Oddly enough, it was only days ago that I was shocked to realize just how shamanic has been my collective experience.

Edited by aka CAT

Lets say there is a multi verse and thus an infinite amount of versions off youreself that means every version off you has there own consiousness. Now who is the original version? we or some other version off ourself there has to be an original somewhere offcourse. Even if at the point of a decision there is a creation of a new paralel existense they get a whole other perspective on things since they took another option. Wich means eventualy us in multiverse would not be us anymore they would only look like us.

And on a sidenote would there be a version where they can travel between those parallel worlds and lets say do something like is explained in the movie The One?

• Like 1

Why rule out the possibility of all of one's versions of himself coinciding?  Beyond the fact that Einstein's theory of relativity pertains to time, I can conceive of many versions of myself simultaneously existing at similar stages.  Imagine those selves as being more or less advanced in respect to their existing at points tangent on a spiral, representative of my potential, in the following instance:

My last NDE involved my seeming to occupy a 'new Earth' for a time.  As I judged it a better version of this world, suppose a more advanced/higher version of myself exists there.  It just occurred to me that the version of myself there might have perceived me as something of a flashback while I surmised her my future.  Suppose she needed to be as thankful she wasn't me as I needed to be hopeful that something better lie in store for all of us.  Maybe her painful reminder relieved my anguish in a way where commiseration kept us approximations of each other.    

Edited by aka CAT

What if my NDE I didn't survive but only woke up in this life because the life I was living ended? So I'm from a parallel reality. Don't know why I decided to post that......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What if my NDE I didn't survive but only woke up in this life because the life I was living ended? So I'm from a parallel reality. Don't know why I decided to post that......

In effect, you would have died in another world and continued in this life.  Often, I have wondered whether or not I didn't do exactly that in different instances.

Just now, aka CAT said:

In effect, you would have died in another world and continued in this life.  Often, I have wondered whether or not I didn't do exactly that in different instances.

I run a lot of thought experiments along these lines. The whole 'What If'. Such as what if the two times I've had NDE's that I didn't make it, but jumped ship. To another timeline and I'll live until the finite-infinite version of me finally dies out. 

• Like 2

On October 2, 2017 at 7:38 PM, XenoFish said:

I run a lot of thought experiments along these lines. The whole 'What If'. Such as what if the two times I've had NDE's that I didn't make it, but jumped ship. To another timeline and I'll live until the finite-infinite version of me finally dies out. 

The impact of NDEs upon our lives can be profound in ways that are often difficult to express for various reasons.  Nonetheless, whatever you're inclined to mention about yours is welcome.  After all, because this discussion is entirely subjective, you are free to relate/interpret them in whatever ways are most relevant to you.

Edited by aka CAT

1 hour ago, aka CAT said:

The impact of NDEs upon our lives can be profound in ways that are often difficult to express for various reasons.  Nonetheless, whatever you're inclined to mention about yours is welcome.  After all, because this discussion is entirely subjective, you are free to relate/interpret them in whatever ways are most relevant to you.

My first NDE I had happened when I was a kid. A bunch of my friends were riding our bikes down a big hill that was covered in gravel. Someone threw a stick in the spokes of my bike and I went head first into a giant rock. Busted my head open and I basically bled out. The only thing I really recall from that was a 1950's style elderly nurse holding my hand and telling me I had to go back. Definitely weird. The second time was around 19 and heart failure. That NDE was nothing but a void, just nothing. A felt cold and then no-thing whatsoever. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XenoFish said:

The only thing I really recall from that was a 1950's style elderly nurse holding my hand and telling me I had to go back.

Your age would suggest you perceived the nurse as something of an anachronism.  That coupled with the end of the above sentence is ordinarily indicative of an OOBE during an NDE.  That such persons commonly feel as though they've somehow been sent back here hints at there not only being a higher order but at the course/sum of our lives' fulfilling some purpose.  Though we may be tempted to make either too much or too little of our role in the grand scheme of things, only a supernatural reckoning of sorts can reveal the full scope of our being in terms of nature versus nurture and in light of immutability relative to self-determination.  Then and only then shall any of us fully comprehend the entirety of causes put into effect relative to any of us in particular.  

Have you ever dreamt about the nurse?

Edited by aka CAT

5 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Your age would suggest you perceived the nurse as something of an anachronism.  That coupled with the end of the above sentence is ordinarily indicative of an OOBE during an NDE.  That such persons commonly feel as though they've somehow been sent back here hints at there not only being a higher order but at the course/sum of our lives' fulfilling some purpose.  Though we may be tempted to make either too much or too little of our role in the grand scheme of things, only a supernatural reckoning of sorts can reveal the full scope of our being in terms of nature versus nurture and in light of immutability relative to self-determination.  Then and only then shall any of us fully comprehend the entirety of causes put into effect relative to any of us in particular.  

Have you ever dreamt about the nurse?

No, my dreams are typically nightmares. I've always had nightmares. I can't think of any normal dreams. 

Have you had nightmares about the nurse?  Or, do you feel an affinity for the 1950's?  The styles and music have much appealed to subsequent generations.

Certain other eras have a strange appeal to me due to my either fondness for or attraction to things commonly associated with them.  Sometimes such things will seem so familiar as to make me feel nostalgic and/or give me goosebumps.  Attached to separate periods, one in the past and another conceivably in the future, I have peculiar recollections.

4 minutes ago, aka CAT said:

Have you had nightmares about the nurse?  Or, do you feel an affinity for the 1950's?  The styles and music have much appealed to subsequent generations.

Certain other eras have a strange appeal to me due to my either fondness for or attraction to things commonly associated with them.  Sometimes such things will seem so familiar as to make me feel nostalgic and/or give me goosebumps.  Attached to separate periods, one in the past and another conceivably in the future, I have peculiar recollections.

That nurse was a one time thing. Most of my nightmares are of the lovecraft, giger, cronenberg kind. The only things that I've even have come natural to me is art, and sigil magick. It felt natural. Like I knew it, but that could be due to my artistic nature. Even my dreams could be due to that. I really do not think to deeply into this stuff.

Do you still expose yourself to "lovecraft, giger, cronenberg" kinds of things?  That your interests too much give expression to your dark side would seem to explain your only having nightmares.  Try focusing on beautiful wonders of nature (appealing settings, nonthreatening creatures, e.g. brilliantly colorful plants, butterflies, or birds) uplifting or relaxing music, English literature (namely, Renaissance or Romanticism) or comedic classics, heavenly artworks and anything refreshingly out-of-the-ordinary for you just before bedtime.  Then, when you've actually dreamt about any of those things, regularly envision yourself dreaming of doing something pleasant in an idyllic setting.

One thing that brought about an unexpected change in my general outlook was my ceasing to paint things with dark backgrounds.  Sadly, however, I make too little time for creative endeavors that are not work related.

Edited by aka CAT

Re: 'recollection' of eras past and future, respectively -

• Something happened many years ago to convince me people from time to time not only inherit aptitude but, somehow, knowledge.
  • The setting of my last NDE was a/n biblical/allegorical place whereabout it’s forbidden to speak, though I discuss my perceptions preliminary and conclusive to the days I dwelt there.
Edited by aka CAT