Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mass Shooting At Church in Nashville, TN

HandsomeGorilla

So far one dead, seven wounded. 

Shooter apprehended, thought to have accidentally shot himself, then held at gunpoint by a registered firearms owner until police arrived. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/one-killed-eight-shot-church-shooting-tennessee-n804321

One person was killed and seven others were wounded during a shooting at a church in Antioch, Tennessee, on Sunday morning.

The gunman arrived in the parking lot of Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in Antioch around 11:15 a.m. local time (12:15 p.m. ET) and fatally shot a woman as she was walking to her car, Don Aaron, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department said at a press conference.

"Six innocent persons inside the church were wounded by gunfire, they have been taken to area hospitals," he said Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Still Waters
Trimmed for length. The rest can be viewed in the source link.
  • Like 1

My first thought was a possible intimate relationship gone wrong but he apparently didn't know any of the congregation.  Oh well, so much for the assumption of safety in the church.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Mass as in church service or as in loads of people?

Pretty sure it's only the Catholics who call it Mass, so I think it's the other one. 

Deadly Tennessee church shooting: Sudanese immigrant arrested, FBI to launch civil rights investigation

One woman was killed and seven other people were hurt after a suspect identified as a Sudanese immigrant opened fire at a Tennessee church Sunday, police said, as federal officials told Fox News the FBI will initiate a civil rights investigation into the shooting.

The suspect, 25-year-old Emanuel Kidega Samson, immigrated from Sudan two decades ago, police said. He's suspected of bringing two pistols and a mask to the predominantly white Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in Antioch, southeast of Nashville, before opening fire just after 11 a.m.

cont...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/24/deadly-tennessee-church-shooting-sudanese-immigrant-arrested-fbi-to-launch-civil-rights-investigation.html

• Like 2

I'm not a big proponent of capital punishment, but I can make exceptions in some instances. There would be swift and sure justice with two bullets for Roof and Samson. It's less barbaric than the electric chair, and it's less torturous than injections of poisonous substances. It's also cheaper.

4 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

So far one dead, seven wounded. 

Shooter apprehended, thought to have accidentally shot himself, then held at gunpoint by a registered firearms owner until police arrived. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amp/one-killed-eight-shot-church-shooting-tennessee-n804321

I wish they would do that more often, and before they shoot someone else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

I wish they would do that more often, and before they shoot someone else.

Surprisingly enough, it does appear that they usually do just that.

Not kidding, over 80% of the people killed by guns every year in the USA are suicides.   :huh:

So, comparing those tens of thousands to the dozens of such incidents of madness, and I'm not being sarcastic here... we may be living in a far more accommodating and polite society than we are prepared to appreciate.

Read that again, if it angers you, and think a moment, please.

IMHO, our society isn't social enough, not on a face-to-face basis. And, this is not some new thing. Take a drive around town, and tell me how many houses less than 70 years old (built after WW2, I mean)  have porches on them. 

How many of us can name half a dozen of our neighbors? 

13 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

Out of about thirty houses in our neighborhood I can name everyone in them but two. They have recently moved in and I've been busy. We all also have everybody's contact and emergency information.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Out of about thirty houses in our neighborhood I can name everyone in them but two. They have recently moved in and I've been busy. We all also have everybody's contact and emergency information.

I've lived in a remote town of 350 people for 23 years. Everyone knows everyone's business,,habits, likes/dislikes, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnchorSteam said:

Surprisingly enough, it does appear that they usually do just that.

Not kidding, over 80% of the people killed by guns every year in the USA are suicides.   :huh:

So, comparing those tens of thousands to the dozens of such incidents of madness, and I'm not being sarcastic here... we may be living in a far more accommodating and polite society than we are prepared to appreciate.

Read that again, if it angers you, and think a moment, please.

IMHO, our society isn't social enough, not on a face-to-face basis. And, this is not some new thing. Take a drive around town, and tell me how many houses less than 70 years old (built after WW2, I mean)  have porches on them. 

Not sure what you're getting at. Why would I be 'angered' by that? It saddens me that that many people purposely shoot themselves.

The only point I was trying to make was that I wish more potential mass killers would accidentally shoot themselves (before shooting someone else)..

33 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I've lived in a remote town of 350 people for 23 years. Everyone knows everyone's business,,habits, likes/dislikes, birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

You can forget about me remembering dates. I think it was our ninth wedding anniversary when both of us forgot. I looked at my husband six days after the date and asked him if we had an anniversary last week. 

On topic, Robert Engle should be commended for confronting that armed hulk of a guy with his bare hands. It looks like he would be seriously outmatched. I wonder if he caught the shooter off guard? Regardless, his quick thinking probably saved some lives. They are saying the gun went off and hit the shooter during the scuffle.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Michelle said:

On topic, Robert Engle should be commended for confronting that armed hulk of a guy with his bare hands. It looks like he would be seriously outmatched. I wonder if he caught the shooter off guard? Regardless, his quick thinking probably saved some lives. They are saying the gun went off and hit the shooter during the scuffle.

Didn't hear that part. Good on 'im!

• Like 3

There are still a lot of details coming out...

Robert Engle, 22, an usher with the Burnette Chapel Church of Christ, saw the suspected gunman, identified as 25-year-old Emanuel Kidega Samson, and jumped to stop him, according to witnesses.

Engle “physically engaged” with Samson, investigators added. Ultimately the suspect was shot, and Engle suffered a “significant injury around his head” after being pistol-whipped.

Engle then ran to his car, grabbed a gun, and held the gunman at gunpoint until law enforcement arrived, witnesses said.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/24/tennessee-church-usher-who-stopped-gunman-is-hailed-as-hero.html

The Daily Mail has a full body picture of the bodybuilder shooter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4915264/Six-people-injured-shooting-Nashville-church.html

Ya gotta go through a lot of trash to get to the truth.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

How much you wanna bet he was on those suicide pills? It's all the rage among those mass shooter types. Guess that's what makes them the mass shooter types. 

On 9/24/2017 at 11:06 PM, Michelle said:

Ya gotta go through a lot of trash to get to the truth.

That's the understatement of the year. Yeesh. Especially regarding narrative crushers like "black man shoots up white Church, held at gunpoint by legal gun owner". Hey, maybe THIS is what Trump was trying to distract us from with his NFL tweets. That would explain the lack of 24/7 coverage we've come to expect from mass shootings.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

That's the understatement of the year. Yeesh. Especially regarding narrative crushers like "black man shoots up white Church, held at gunpoint by legal gun owner". Hey, maybe THIS is what Trump was trying to distract us from with his NFL tweets. That would explain the lack of 24/7 coverage we've come to expect from mass shootings.

The only reason they reported it at all was because there were so many victims. But, it can't be a hate crime because the perp is black. :rolleyes:

• Like 2