Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Questions, Questions.....

acute

7 hours ago, acute said:

How does concrete set underwater?

The kind of cement that sets underwater uses silicates and various oxides (primarily calcium, aluminum and iron oxides). The basic chemical process that is occurring is hydration, whereby the mixture of oxides and silicates incorporates several water molecules directly into the crystal lattice. The fact that the setting process both uses water, and also produces a structure that is insoluble and robust to attack by water, is what makes underwater setting of hydraulic cement possible. How would one know, unless they asked?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

If there's a speed of sound and a speed of light, is there a speed of smell?

I suppose it depends on the wind

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt221 said:

If there's a speed of sound and a speed of light, is there a speed of smell?

Yep. I shared a bedroom with three brothers in my youth. Surprising how fast it travelled!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, acute said:

Why do people live in shìt villages, in the middle of nowhere, with no libraries?

Were you drunk when you posted this? You're a disgrace, and you should apologize immediately. :angry:

• Like 4

Just now, acute said:

Were you drunk when you posted this? You're a disgrace, and you should apologize immediately. :angry:

You're right. Please accept my cut-out-and-keep sincere apology.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Have you not beaten the odds? Or maybe inadvertently snatched victory from the jaws of defeat? Did you know what you were doing in the first place?

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 3

How come whenever you start to sing, you automatically sing in a higher voice than you talk?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, acute said:

Where exactly is your lap?

No one ever went to the doc's with a painful lap.

Does anyone actually put their laptop on their lap? 

• Like 2

I went to a laptop dancing club once. Ridiculous; lots of scantily clad ladies all dancing around a computer in the middle of the floor. :angry: 

• Like 2

Contra-rotating propellers. How do they work then?

• Like 2

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, purrrpetrator said:

The kind of cement that sets underwater uses silicates and various oxides (primarily calcium, aluminum and iron oxides). The basic chemical process that is occurring is hydration, whereby the mixture of oxides and silicates incorporates several water molecules directly into the crystal lattice. The fact that the setting process both uses water, and also produces a structure that is insoluble and robust to attack by water, is what makes underwater setting of hydraulic cement possible.

That's actually very interesting, thank you.

It uses water to set!  :blink:

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

There is a name...it's legs...

Boringly, it's dorsal. I know this due to a nasty foot injury I once had!

• Like 1

If humans evolved from apes why are we the only primates whose head hair keeps on growing?

• Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:32 AM, acute said:

Why is gravy served in boats?

What are you saying? That just because you are on the high seas and not on dry land you're not allowed gravy on your roasties? What utter nonsense, sir! :angry:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

What are you saying? That just because you are on the high seas and not on dry land you're not allowed gravy on your roasties? What utter nonsense, sir! :angry:

Isn't gravy transported in trains?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

What are you saying? That just because you are on the high seas and not on dry land you're not allowed gravy on your roasties?

It's a no-brainer!

Unless you are freetoroam, moored up in some god-forsaken backwater, by what fiendish external mechanism is the gravy expected to remain on your tilting plate?

Edited by acute
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, acute said:

It's a no-brainer!

Unless you are freetoroam, moored up in some god-forsaken backwater, by what fiendish external mechanism is the gravy expected to remain on your tilting plate?

't**ting plate'? Wash your mouth out, young man! :angry:

Tilting, with an L.

• Like 2