Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Questions, Questions.....

acute

• 2 weeks later...

The well known perfume, Channel No. 5; were there four before it that Ms. Coco Channel tried out first but decided she hadn't got quite right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manfred von Dreidecker said:

The well known perfume, Channel No. 5; were there four before it that Ms. Coco Channel tried out first but decided she hadn't got quite right?

Sort of :lol:

"Iconography of the No. 5 name

At the age of twelve, Chanel was handed over to the care of nuns, and for the next six years spent a stark, disciplined existence in a convent orphanage, Aubazine, founded by Cistercians in the 12th century. From her earliest days there, the number five had potent associations for her. For Chanel, the number five was especially esteemed as signifying the pure embodiment of a thing, its spirit, its mystic meaning. The paths that led Chanel to the cathedral for daily prayer were laid out in circular patterns repeating the number five.

Her affinity for the number five co-mingled with the abbey gardens, and by extension the lush surrounding hillsides abounding with cistus, a five-petal rose.

In 1920, when presented with small glass vials containing sample scent compositions numbered 1 to 5 and 20 to 24 for her assessment, she chose the fifth vial. Chanel told her master perfumer, Ernest Beaux, whom she had commissioned to develop a fragrance with modern innovations: "I present my dress collections on the fifth of May, the fifth month of the year and so we will let this sample number five keep the name it has already, it will bring good luck.""

Man, I need sleep... and new hobbies... :unsure2:

• Like 2

Why does Miguel Xavier El Portillo always introduce himself to the people eh's meeting on his TV adventures with "Hi, I'm Michael". Considering that the people he's meeting were there for the specific purpose of meeting El Portillo,  it's not like he just happened to bump into just the person who knows all about what it is that he wants to talk about, and there's a camera crew just out of shot, and those rubbery lips and flamboyant jackets stand out from several kilometres away, I should think they're probably likely to already know that.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why did Prince say "I'm gonna party like it's 1999"?  We all know the new millennium started in 2001 not 2000.

• 2 weeks later...

When the owners of the haunted house venture down into the basement, why doesn't someone say "Is this your first horror movie, you idiot?"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a right pub/booze themed puzzler.

When we die, do we wake up in the morning to find it all was a dream?

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:48 PM, acute said:

Why do we say "pair of underpants"?

Was there a time when the two halves of underwear were separate?

Actually, I think there was such a time! I have an image in my mind of a tube of cotton for each leg and ties around the waist to hold them up. Before my time, of course, before you start making rude comments :P. A time before elastic and safety pins, and perhaps even buttons.

Here ya go, Victorian drawers from a site called 'Threadingthroughtime':

panteletts-pattern-1800-1830.jpg?w=560

• Like 2

Another garment related puzzle: before I put jumpers or trousers into the wash I turn them inside-out. When the wash is finished, quite a few of the garments have turned themselves right-side-out again. How the heck do they do this? Think about what it takes to turn a trouser leg inside-out. They're just going round and round in the machine, squashed up against other soaking wet( heavyish), clothes. :blink:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Another garment related puzzle: before I put jumpers or trousers into the wash I turn them inside-out. When the wash is finished, quite a few of the garments have turned themselves right-side-out again. How the heck do they do this? Think about what it takes to turn a trouser leg inside-out. They're just going round and round in the machine, squashed up against other soaking wet( heavyish), clothes. :blink:

That reminds me of my childhood and the odd occasions first thing in the morning when I found my pajamas were buttoned up inside out.   :unsure: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Here ya go, Victorian drawers:

Underpants must have had a different purpose in those days. This arrangement wouldn't do anything that I wear them for!

• Like 2

On 2/12/2018 at 6:48 PM, acute said:

Why do we say "pair of underpants"?

Was there a time when the two halves of underwear were separate?

well,

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Actually, I think there was such a time! I have an image in my mind of a tube of cotton for each leg and ties around the waist to hold them up. Before my time, of course, before you start making rude comments :P. A time before elastic and safety pins, and perhaps even buttons.

It looks like she's wearing chaps with the bottom cut out, a cowboy hat, and holding a whip.

Though I may just be projecting something from the dark recesses of my psyche here. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Looks like something modern day Victoria's Secret would sell. :o

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Looks like something modern day Victoria's Secret would sell. :o

How would you know that?! :whistle:

• Like 2

Does this train call at Haddenham & Thame Parkway? 

Why do we call the deciding shots in a drawn soccer game a 'penalty shootout'?

They are 'penalties' during the 90 mins+  but no one is being penalised for anything after that.

Surely it ought to be the Spot Kick Shootout, which would have the benefit of being alliteratative. 

• Like 1

If an apple is good for you and apparently keeps the doctor away then why do I get grief if I have a double helping of apple pie?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mark One said:

If an apple is good for you and apparently keeps the doctor away then why do I get grief if I have a double helping of apple pie?

It's ridiculous these days!  One day, you can't eat vast quantities of apple pie. Next day, lard is good for you.

• Like 3

Why is it that when some robots are left in darkness, they will seek out the light? Why is it that when robots are stored in an empty space, they will group together, rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behaviour? Random segments of code? Or is it something more? When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth?

4 minutes ago, acute said:

It's ridiculous these days!  One day, you can't eat vast quantities of apple pie. Next day, lard is good for you.

Tell me about it.  The boffins say that drinking battery acid is deadly but its ok if you drink scotch all of your life for that can only kill you slowly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark One said:

Tell me about it.  The boffins say that drinking battery acid is deadly but its ok if you drink scotch all of your life for that can only kill you slowly.

Yep!  Mixed messages from the so-called 'experts'.

6 hours ago, acute said:

Why is it that when some robots are left in darkness, they will seek out the light? Why is it that when robots are stored in an empty space, they will group together, rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behaviour? Random segments of code? Or is it something more? When does a perceptual schematic become consciousness? When does a difference engine become the search for truth?

mmmm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acute said:

Yep!  Mixed messages from the so-called 'experts'.

I wish I was on their wages.

• Like 1