Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New species of giant rat discovered

Still Waters

A new species of rat that is nearly half a metre long and can reputedly crack open coconuts with its teeth has been discovered on the Solomon Islands.

However the animal, unique to the remote Pacific islands, may soon become extinct as forestry companies are cutting down the rainforest where it lives.

For years, local people had told scientists about the “vika”. But, after searching without success, the scientists had begun to doubt the stories of a giant, tree-dwelling rat.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/rat-giant-news-species-solomon-islands-vika-coconut-teeth-critically-endangered-extinct-a7968566.html

• Like 3

It's not in Sumatra is it? Could the world be ready for it at last? Giant Rat of Sumatra

Scientists discover possible new species of giant rat - said scientists capture and kill the rat to examine the skull - they discover it is a new species - they discover they killed the last one - look for new species - repeat

49 minutes ago, Rolci said:

I did not realise teeth can be "powerful". What does that even mean???

It means it has strong teeth.

can reputedly crack open coconuts with its teeth 

• Like 1

It chews through the coconut, it doesn't "crack-open" a coconut.

• 2 weeks later...

It meant powerful bite as in lbs pressure per square inch based on examining its jaw structure,muscles etc

Another thing for children to have nightmares over.

On 27/09/2017 at 2:53 PM, Still Waters said:

It means it has strong teeth.

How are teeth "strong"? Like, can a piece of rock be "strong"? "Hard" I would understand. But strong?

3 hours ago, FateAmeniableToChange said:

It meant powerful bite as in lbs pressure per square inch based on examining its jaw structure,muscles etc

That I would understand. Powerful bite, yes. Powerful / strong teeth, I am having a hard time with.