Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Webb Space Telescope: Launch Slips to 2019

Waspie_Dwarf

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope to be Launched Spring 2019

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope now is planning to launch between March and June 2019 from French Guiana, following a schedule assessment of the remaining integration and test activities. Previously Webb was targeted to launch in October 2018.

“The change in launch timing is not indicative of hardware or technical performance concerns,” said Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator for NASA’s Science Mission Directorate at Headquarters in Washington. “Rather, the integration of the various spacecraft elements is taking longer than expected.”

arrow3.gif  Read More: NASA

• Like 1

My apologies to Merc,

For some odd reason your post showed up on my screen as a double post, so I hid one. It turns out it wasn't a double post, so I have now unhidden you comment.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:18 AM, Merc14 said:

Read that and yes, am disappointed but better safe than sorry with this bit of kit.  

Totally.

Just wonder, if launch fails <knocks three times>, how long it will take to prepare next JWST? Or project will be scrapped?

Fingers crossed...

On 9/29/2017 at 2:18 AM, Merc14 said:

Read that and yes, am disappointed but better safe than sorry with this bit of kit.  

The reason for the delay is not just precautionary on the part of the JWST. In October 2018 ESA is launching the BepiColombo space probe to Mercury. Because it is going to use planetary fly-bys (1 of Earth and 2 of Venus) to get their it has a very time critical launch window, it must be launched in early October 2018 or face a long delay.

With the delays occurring with the JWST there was the possibility that the two launch campaigns would clash (both are to be launched by Ariane 5 from Kourou). This delay not inly gives ground engineers more time to ensure that the JWST is perfect, it also frees up Kourou for the BepiColombo launch.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bmk1245 said:

Just wonder, if launch fails <knocks three times>, how long it will take to prepare next JWST?

Many, many years and $billions.

It's one of the reasons they are using an Ariane 5 to launch it, it hasn't failed since 2002 and last night performed it's 81st consecutive successful flight. It is one of the most reliable launch vehicles ever built.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Many, many years and $billions.

It's one of the reasons they are using an Ariane 5 to launch it, it hasn't failed since 2002 and last night performed it's 81st consecutive successful flight. It is one of the most reliable launch vehicles ever built.

Bit of relief (fingers crossed). Thanks, Waspie.

2 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

The reason for the delay is not just precautionary on the part of the JWST. In October 2018 ESA is launching the BepiColombo space probe to Mercury. Because it is going to use planetary fly-bys (1 of Earth and 2 of Venus) to get their it has a very time critical launch window, it must be launched in early October 2018 or face a long delay.

With the delays occurring with the JWST there was the possibility that the two launch campaigns would clash (both are to be launched by Ariane 5 from Kourou). This delay not inly gives ground engineers more time to ensure that the JWST is perfect, it also frees up Kourou for the BepiColombo launch.

Thanks waspie, had no idea until your post.

When it finally does go up it'll certainly be one of the most nerve-wracking space launches ever.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

With a project cost of $8 billion there will be some sweating and fingernail biting during the launch. 

I will be amongst the folks biting their nails

8 hours ago, Saru said:

When it finally does go up it'll certainly be one of the most nerve-wracking space launches ever.

Absolutely but I don't think it will match the landing of Curiosity on Mars.  I stayed up late into the next day watching that event and cheered far too loudly when it phoned home.   :D

Edited by Merc14

8 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I will be amongst the folks biting their nails

Absolutely but I don't think it will match the landing of Curiosity on Mars.  I stayed up late into the next day watching that event and cheered far too loudly when it phoned home.   :D

And of course, once the JWST is stationed at the L2 Lagrangian Point there will be no possibility of carrying out repairs. This is an audacious project: but that is what NASA - with some help from ESA - are best at.

Curiosity was also an audacious project, but NASA pulled it off. Soon after the landing I saw an interview with Adam Steltzner. He described how during the descent he was thinking: "This is crazy! Are we really doing this?" The sky crane worked to perfection, and Curiosity became one of the most successful missions ever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Derek Willis said:

And of course, once the JWST is stationed at the L2 Lagrangian Point there will be no possibility of carrying out repairs. This is an audacious project: but that is what NASA - with some help from ESA - are best at.

Curiosity was also an audacious project, but NASA pulled it off. Soon after the landing I saw an interview with Adam Steltzner. He described how during the descent he was thinking: "This is crazy! Are we really doing this?" The sky crane worked to perfection, and Curiosity became one of the most successful missions ever. 

At the time I remember thinking NASA is back!!!  So many programs had problems (Hubble's flawed mirror, the shuttles blowing up, failures at Mars etc.) since Apollo I thought "They have to get this audacious thing done right." and they did it.  Doesn't make sense, I know, as NASA/JPL/contractors have done some amazing things but Curiosity landing like that was really stretching the envelope but it worked perfectly.    

No doubt there's an even better telescope on the drawing board.