Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lockheed Martin's Mars Base Camp Concept

Waspie_Dwarf

Lockheed Martin Reveals New Details to its Mars Base Camp Vision

Lockheed Martin's Mars Base Camp concept shows how to send humanity to Mars in about a decade.

Today, at the International Astronautical Congress (IAC) in Adelaide, Australia, Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) experts are revealing new details of its Mars Base Camp concept including how it aligns with NASA's lunar Deep Space Gateway and a Mars surface lander.

Mars Base Camp is a vision of how to send humans to Mars in about a decade. It's a sound, safe and compelling mission architecture centered around an orbital outpost where scientist-astronauts can perform unprecedented, real-time scientific exploration of the Red Planet.

arrow3.gif  Read More: Lockheed Martin

• Like 4

Exciting times ahead. A decade really isn't that long to wait before we see this amazing journey taking place.  

• Like 3

This is so super cool! 

And coming directly from L&M gives me a little bit more faith in it's feasibility. 

I am full on for an orbiting station, that would allow to visit virtually the whole planet (maybe not too high latitudes?), compared to a ground base. 

How are we radiation wise around Mars orbit?

Since it doesn't have a magnetosphere, I reckon we would have the same issues as in deep space? 

40 minutes ago, Parsec said:

I am full on for an orbiting station, that would allow to visit virtually the whole planet (maybe not too high latitudes?), compared to a ground base.

If is is exploration from orbit you want why build a station? The moon Phobos is ideally situated, why not utilise that?

4 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

If is is exploration from orbit you want why build a station? The moon Phobos is ideally situated, why not utilise that?

Sometimes (as in this case) I don't understand if you are critical for the sake of it or what.

Why don't you ask that very question to L&M? 

They are the proponents after all, I just replied to their unveiling. 

Since you are so knowledgeable on the matter (no irony implied), why instead don't you address the second part of my post about the magnetosphere?

Or maybe you alluded to the idea that Phobos is actually hollow and we could build a station inside? 

Possibly instead of Mars Base Camp and Deep Space Gateway the base will be simply called Pohl's Gateway? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parsec said:

Sometimes (as in this case) I don't understand if you are critical for the sake of it or what.

Why so oversensitive? No criticism was made or implied. I was just making an alternative suggestion.

I think the idea of an orbital base is a good one but was suggesting that Phobos might be a good place to situate it.

1 hour ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

Why so oversensitive? No criticism was made or implied. I was just making an alternative suggestion.

I think the idea of an orbital base is a good one but was suggesting that Phobos might be a good place to situate it.

If that's the case, then my bad for wrongly reading your post. 

Anyway, are you sure it would be more feasible landing on phobos?

Would you build a base there separate from the spaceship or would you attach the spaceship to the moon and use the whole as a base?

How would you land on it?  

We are talking about boarding a pretty fast body in the innermost orbit of a planet that is not our own.  

Besides having a base around another planet, that would already be a first in itself, you would also add landing on a relatively small celestial body, feat never done before if not by ESA with Philae. And we all know unfortunately how it ended.

Although your suggestion is fascinating, I see placing a base into orbit and leave it as it is quite more practical and easier.

At least with our current technology. 

Going back to my first post, do you know which level of radiation we have there? 

Is it comparable to deep space? 

That would complicate things. 

If phobos could offer a better shielding, then that would add more food for thought and possibly add weight to your alternative.

1 hour ago, thelion318 said:

You all know if they find anything truly fantastic like pyramids or advanced past life then they'll never tell us

Perhaps they will search Mars for answers to Earths problems like poverty, war, famine and disease.  

17 hours ago, thelion318 said:

You all know if they find anything truly fantastic like pyramids or advanced past life then they'll never tell us

And how do you know this, because I certainly don't.

I wonder if the solar powered vehicle NASA is testing might be an option?  Making liquid hydrogen from ice, while in space seems risky unless it's done in a separate facility.  I realize it's risky on Earth as well.  I guess it's less risky than shipping it from Earth.

On 10/2/2017 at 5:35 AM, Waspie_Dwarf said:

On 10/1/2017 at 0:12 PM, thelion318 said:

And how do you know this, because I certainly don't.

Well there have been times where NASA cuts the live feed and goes to private channels.  FOIA requests are sometimes not honored due to secret classifications and many documents that do get turned over to various researchers are heavily redacted.  Just recently it was reported that a number of documents that were withheld from the public regarding the JFK assassination will soon be available to be released but the President has the option to keep them secret. My thesis is only that the government keeps many things secret from us, and we can only speculate as to why.  Why would we assume utmost disclosure and honesty regarding Mars exploration when we dont get the full story here on Earth?

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 3:24 PM, Parsec said:

Going back to my first post, do you know which level of radiation we have there? 

Is it comparable to deep space? 

That would complicate things. 

If phobos could offer a better shielding, then that would add more food for thought and possibly add weight to your alternative.

FWIW, from Nov. 2016: https://phys.org/news/2016-11-bad-mars.html