Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Elon Musk aims to send people to Mars in 2024

Still Waters

Elon Musk says he aims to send people to Mars in 2024.

The rocket and car entrepreneur told an audience in Adelaide, Australia, that he would begin building the necessary ships to support the mission next year.

He says he is refocusing his SpaceX company to work on just one type of vehicle that could do all of the firm's current work and interplanetary travel.

Known as the BFR, this rocket system could also carry people rapidly around the Earth from city to city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41441877

Previously:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/311929-elon-musk-to-give-update-on-spacex-mars-plans/

• Like 2

They need to revolutionize the way payloads are brought to orbit, only then will we really open up the solar system to human habitation.

Placeing tons of sensitive equipment on top of a blow torch is not what I call efficent, safe or effective over the long term.

15 hours ago, Merc14 said:

I wish he'd stop with his overly optimistic predictions on when these things would be ready.   

Possibly, but we have to admit this is quite exciting! 

I would say it's Fudging exiting! 

• Like 1

Why doesn't he fix starvation in parts of the world people die everyday living in crap and his goal is Mars lol what's wrong with this world! Jesus send me to Mars.all that money could be used to make the world we live in a better place 

38 minutes ago, Adampadum123 said:

Why doesn't he fix starvation in parts of the world people die everyday living in crap and his goal is Mars lol what's wrong with this world! Jesus send me to Mars.all that money could be used to make the world we live in a better place 

There's always some one that makes this tired, ill conceived point , as if mankind is only capable of fixing one problem at a time or rich people throwing their money at a problem will make it go away.

Here's an idea, if world starvation is that important to you (and good on you if it is) then why don't YOU give up the time you currently spend making poorly thought out comments on internet forums and dedicate that time to a charity.

The problem with this world is the number of people complaining that SOMEONE ELSE should be doing something about the problems, whilst doing nothing themselves. If you want a solution then you need to be part of the solution. Let Elon Musk try and help the world in the way his way.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typo.
  • Like 4

Well I don't have the means to make such efforts as people like musk does.why try make loads of crap happen when the world we already live in needs help?

He may well try .... I know NASA will not try something so illogical and stupid  ( although they might say they will to maintain public interest and funding  ;) )

2 hours ago, Adampadum123 said:

And its attitudes like yours that makes the world we live in so difficult

I agree.  You can't fix what ain't broke and Mars ain't broke.  The world is.  We should fix it first.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 10:08 AM, Adampadum123 said:

Perhaps you never noticed this, but innovation is what makes the world a better place. We are where we are because throughout history, both literally and metaphorically, people have wanted to know what is over the horizon. I might be wrong, but added to the innovations Elon Musk and his team have made - practicable electric cars, for instance - and the thousands of tax-paying jobs created, I bet he gives away a big chunk of his fortune before he dies.

• 1 month later...

We will never fix what is wrong with the earth.  There are too many different governments, religions, beliefs, etc.  To get all of them to get together and do something constructive would be an act of futility.  Not to mention getting about 8 billion people to work together.  If there are people like Musk who are willing to spend time and money on exploring space then I say let them do it and we should back them however we can.  I believe that exploring space is a part of our destiny.

• Like 1