Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

State Dept. Pulls Some Staff Out of Cuba

OverSword

The US State Department is pulling out all families of employees and nonessential personnel from Cuba, after a string of mysterious attacks against US diplomats.

Several US officials tell CNN that 21 US diplomats and family members became ill after apparent sonic attacks. The American embassy will continue to operate with a 60% reduction in staff. The officials said the US will stop issuing visas in Cuba effective immediately because of the staff reductions and the decision is not described as a retaliatory measure. Officials say there will still be consular officials in the embassy available to assist US citizens in Cuba.
The State Department is also issuing a travel warning, urging Americans not to travel to Cuba because they could also be at risk as some of the attacks against diplomats have taken place at hotels where Americans stay, a senior State Department official told reporters Friday.

Source

what a bizarre reaction. Firstly, there is no theory by which a "sonic weapon" could produce the medical effects involved. Or rather... not in the environment of the Embassy, or even the hotels (so far as we have information). There is simply no science behind this. 

Secondly; have any "employees and nonessential personnel" been effected ? Have any "Americans... travel(ing) to Cuba" exhibited any symptoms ? 

This whole thing is irrational. 

It does seem bizarre.  This current regime is looking for reasons to undo Obama's improved relationship with Cuba, however.  A sonic weapon attack on embassy personnel would be a good excuse to so.

maybe it is not trump, but Castro, you are smart enough to know improved relations come with strings attached, not to mention how has it improved lives of ordinary Cubans in cuba, or their relatives here?  i saw no evidence of anything they could do what they could not do before, correct me if i'm wrong

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

what a bizarre reaction. Firstly, there is no theory by which a "sonic weapon" could produce the medical effects involved. Or rather... not in the environment of the Embassy, or even the hotels (so far as we have information). There is simply no science behind this. 

Secondly; have any "employees and nonessential personnel" been effected ? Have any "Americans... travel(ing) to Cuba" exhibited any symptoms ? 

'Sonic%20weapon'.jpg

I'm doubting this.  For one thing we do know that sonic weapons exist and that some are strong enough to cause deafness and other less permanent bad effects.  Of the weapons we are aware of however, using them would probably be very noticeable.  That said there is no reason to believe that we know the cutting edge capabilities of weapons that are currently being developed in this field.

Coincidentally I was thinking along the lines of low frequency sounds and their effects on us yesterday morning on my way into work.  I was standing at an intersection waiting for the light to change with a cup of coffee in my hand when a large truck drove past.  I could feel the liquid vibrating in the cup from the low rumbling of the diesel engine and thought to myself that humans are mainly liquid so no doubt some of the liquid in my own body was also being effected by this low frequency sound and I wondered about the possible effects to my health.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

According to the CNN link:

nvestigators haven't determined the cause of the incidents, but US officials told CNN they are convinced someone has targeted American diplomats in Havana with a sophisticated device never deployed before, at least not against US personnel.

I'm wondering how are they sure. Though, I wouldn't blame them for pulling out some for safety's sake. Does anyone know of the investigation into it, and how far in finding out? 

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

'Sonic%20weapon'.jpg

I'm doubting this.  For one thing we do know that sonic weapons exist and that some are strong enough to cause deafness and other less permanent bad effects.  Of the weapons we are aware of however, using them would probably be very noticeable.  That said there is no reason to believe that we know the cutting edge capabilities of weapons that are currently being developed in this field.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were, but who would have such things and use them in attacks? 

Coincidentally I was thinking along the lines of low frequency sounds and their effects on us yesterday morning on my way into work.  I was standing at an intersection waiting for the light to change with a cup of coffee in my hand when a large truck drove past.  I could feel the liquid vibrating in the cup from the low rumbling of the diesel engine and thought to myself that humans are mainly liquid so no doubt some of the liquid in my own body was also being effected by this low frequency sound and I wondered about the possible effects to my health.

I think that's an interesting thought on us being mostly liquid and what sound does to us. I often think of how EMF's cause us to react.

Your thoughts and the video reminded me of going with a friend (whose deaf) to a bar for the hearing impaired. And it was playing music. It wasn't as loud, like other bars, but the music was playing, and I was asking why it was on. My friend said, that they could feel it. That opened my eyes. There must have been a certain way the music was being played, like putting on the bass up more, so they could feel it. 

• Like 1

We are somewhat going in circles. 

Sonic weapons exist, and work. However...... 

High frequency weapons (above human hearing) cannot easily penetrate glass, let alone walls. Indeed, their range is limited even by passing through air.

Low frequency weapons require VERY large emmiters (think.... rock concert). And they are omnidirecitonal.... they would effect lots of people... you can't "aim" them. 

Look at pictures of the US embassy. Where could emmitters be placed that could be effective over that air-gap, WITHOUT effecting any bystanders ?

There is no science behind this LUDICROUS action by the US foreign office. Just look at the comments from the US government; do ANY of them going into specifics about how this could have happened ? 

And why where Canadian staff effected ? 

Edited by RoofGardener

6 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

It's up to the Cubans to solve this one, the questions are for them to answer.

The question I'd like you to answer is, why would you want our Diplomats to stay in a place where they are facing a very serious health issue?

• Like 1

On 9/29/2017 at 0:41 PM, RoofGardener said:

16 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

High frequency weapons (above human hearing) cannot easily penetrate glass, let alone walls. Indeed, their range is limited even by passing through air.

Low frequency weapons require VERY large emmiters (think.... rock concert). And they are omnidirecitonal.... they would effect lots of people... you can't "aim" them. 

Look at pictures of the US embassy. Where could emmitters be placed that could be effective over that air-gap, WITHOUT effecting any bystanders ?

There is no science behind this LUDICROUS action by the US foreign office. Just look at the comments from the US government; do ANY of them going into specifics about how this could have happened ? 

Humm... I'm not convinced. I know that the state of technology, that is known to the public, is often several generations behind what the military actually has. It is not far fetched to believe that a weapon that could do this, that is man portable, has been created (maybe by the Russians) and is being field tested in Cuba. These is no hard data to prove this, but it is very conceivable, IMHO.

However, like in some other articles I've read... Poisoning, or purposeful exposure to some viruses, can cause the same effects and are actually a lot more conceivable to be used against people like these diplomats and their families.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/16/16316048/sonic-weapon-cuba-us-canadian-diplomats-ultrasound-infrasound-science

EDIT: Man portable version?

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2017 at 2:41 PM, OverSword said:

'Sonic%20weapon'.jpg

The articles I've read that are skeptical of such technology being used, state that the devices are horribly loud. However I notice that this fellow does not appear to even be wearing ear plugs?? I'm not sure, but when I was in the military, they 100% made us put in our ear plugs when we did shooting range certifications. I'm sure if this thing was super loud, this guy also would be wearing ear plugs. Maybe he'll put them in before it is turned on?

Where pic came from....

https://gizmodo.com/what-is-the-lrad-sound-cannon-5860592

Edited by DieChecker

On 9/29/2017 at 9:01 PM, aztek said:

of course we feel sound waves,  sound of chalk on the chalkboard makes some people react, really react, yet it is nothing but sound, 

Dolphins can stun and kill prey with nothing but sound as well.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 0:00 PM, RoofGardener said:

Perhaps you answered your own question.

On 9/30/2017 at 0:00 PM, RoofGardener said:

And I'm just going to add that what you are stating is what a layman believes to true, someone with more direct knowledge could very well tell you that you're not exactly right and someone working on top secret weapons systems may know that we can shake cause earthquakes with sounds that the human ear couldn't even detect.

Just saying.

Curious, I just had a bad case of the flu and displayed nearly all these symptoms.... Im thinking illness, bacteria and environmental causes need to be fully ruled out before jumping on the sonic weapon attack bandwagon

• Like 1

Regardless of what caused this, Cuba has to at least help to find the answer or let us and the Canadians do it.  If the Cuban government's hands are clean in this there's no reason not to help unless tey are hiding something.

suffering from symptoms that include hearing loss, dizziness, tinnitus, balance problems, cognitive issues and difficulty sleeping.

Huh. Many things could cause those symptoms. At least half a dozen people in Florida this spring experienced the same symptoms and were all diagnosed with some kind of viral bug that causes vertigo.

On arriving home from Florida in April this year, I had those same symptoms. I was diagnosed with a non-functioning thyroid. Hormone replacement has taken care of most of that, with a few still present but lessening. 

One would hope the govt. had sufficient medical tests before turning to some sort of conspiracy theory and at that, it's only a guess unless they really know something they aren't saying. And I doubt that part would be a surprise to anyone.

• Like 2

I guess anything's possible, but my BS meter is getting pegged pretty hard here. What's more likely? A viral infection of some kind or a super-secret sonic weapon that is small enough to be undetectable and can pin-point target individuals ... oh, and was deployed in Cuba of all places? The math is hard on this one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...