Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outlawing faith

Wes4747

Should all things requiring faith be outlawed? I will make my case.

All cults rely on faith. Cults are like drugs and.... Drugs are bad... Um kayyy?

All religions rely on faith and.... Religions cause divisiveness, wars and pass out judgements among "the others" to ensure divisiveness. Oh and the uh-faith healing deaths.

The lottery... Should potential players be asked upon buying the ticket whether they are playing for fun, or faith in knowing they will win. The latter seems to blow more grocery money.

In love. Faith and hope that that special someone will love the faithful one back, usually get crushed leaving the faithful devestated and potentially suicidal. If not homicidal. If its love, ya dont need faith.

What good is faith? Who does hope help? 

5 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

You can't outlaw faith. The best you can do is teach critical thinking. 

You can't outlaw stupidity, either. You just have to grit and bear it. (Is it just me, or has the editing software gone bonkers, tonight?)

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Outlawing faith

Will believers in the paranormal and those that believe in many spiritual masters of the eastern/Hindu tradition and promoters of such, like old PG,  be incarcerated?

• Like 3

Just now, papageorge1 said:

Will believers in the paranormal and those that believe in many spiritual masters of the eastern/Hindu tradition and promoters of such, like old PG,  be incarcerated?

Well... I was thinking more along the lines of a hall monitor...

How bout this. Lets quantify the issue.

I have above listed some cons of faith. They can be verified as true, or not. Feel free to dispute any statement above.

Now, can we list a single pro of "faith" that can be verified?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wes4747 said:

I have above listed some cons of faith. They can be verified as true, or not. Feel free to dispute any statement above.

There's not even a point to listing the pros and cons. Faith is something that can't be legislated. You could put laws on the books, but you can't control what people think, what they believe. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

There's not even a point to listing the pros and cons. Faith is something that can't be legislated. You could put laws on the books, but you can't control what people think, what they believe. 

Humor me

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

I was just expressing sarcastic outrage to the word 'outlawing'.

I am personally not a believer in blind faith. I require logic and evidence before forming a belief.

• Like 3

Just now, papageorge1 said:

I was just expressing sarcastic outrage to the word 'outlawing'.

I am personally not a believer in blind faith. I require logic and evidence before forming a belief.

And i have come to destroy every ones faith and hope so that i may be the only one who knows of these magical things.

Just one pro of having faith? Solo uno, por favor?

• Like 1

You can't outlaw faith, that's a blatant violation of one of our most fundamental human rights. Now granted, faith is indeed a dangerous thing worthy of being eradicated, but how do you go about doing this? Unfortunately there isn't much one can do depending on the sincerity (severity) of the issue.

We can't and shouldn't force others how to think and what to believe, but we can outlaw certain actions.

The key is in finding what actions exhibited by faith are most detrimental to society, and to pass laws based on that, rather than outlaw faith itself.

• Like 3

One pro: It makes people feel good. 

Uncertainty is uncomfortable. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

You can't outlaw faith, that's a blatant violation of one of our most fundamental human rights. Now granted, faith is indeed a dangerous thing worthy of being eradicated, but how do you go about doing this? Unfortunately there isn't much one can do depending on the sincerity (severity) of the issue.

We can't and shouldn't force others how to think and what to believe, but we can outlaw certain actions.

The key is in finding what actions exhibited by faith are most detrimental to society, and to pass laws based on that, rather than outlaw faith itself.

Right you are... On to my nefarious agenda.

I know hope and faith is valuable, so i shall gather it all for myself. Hahaha

Just one?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

One pro: It makes people feel good. 

Uncertainty is uncomfortable. 

I like it... Awesome answer, i was so hoping you would get that! 

Despite popular belief, i think how we feel is important! 

• Like 3

It's hard not to know about that considering the many dopamine posts all over the forum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

Right you are... On to my nefarious agenda.

I know hope and faith is valuable, so i shall gather it all for myself. Hahaha

Just one?

Spoken like a true priest. Well done. ;)

• Like 3

And i have come to destroy every ones faith and hope so that i may be the only one who knows of these magical things.

???

Just one pro of having faith? Solo uno, por favor?

Through logic and evidence you believe someone is indeed well ahead of you in understanding. You believe things they say beyond your current grasp to prove for yourself are likely true. I take much of advanced science on faith because of respect for the sources. I take much of  my spiritual beliefs on faith because of respect for the sources.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Wes4747 said:

So we got one, una mas? 

Sorry, that's all I have. 

Plenty of cons, though.

Edited by ChaosRose

The Romans tried to get rid of Christianity.  The more they tortured and killed, the more the faith grew. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, and then said:

The Romans tried to get rid of Christianity.  The more they tortured and killed, the more the faith grew. 

Like"they have to be killing us for a reason! Our faith must be true!!"

39 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Why waste time and energy trying to control other people's behavior when most folks are challenged simply to pilot themselves through life?

Agreed. Why waste time and energy? So much to be done! You know its amazing the things we have outlawed...

So, we outlaw faith to help the sheeples pilot themselves through life.

Is it agreed the only pro of faith is that it makes you feel good? I can think of another, but only the faithful can probably figure it out-which i am not actually... 

Perhaps one who has studied people of faith as well...

Una mas?!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

???

Through logic and evidence you believe someone is indeed well ahead of you in understanding. You believe things they say beyond your current grasp to prove for yourself are likely true. I take much of advanced science on faith because of respect for the sources. I take much of  my spiritual beliefs on faith because of respect for the sources.

I dont think you answered my query. Or i didnt interpret your answer correctly.

Faith, pros? Whats a pro for you Papa?

36 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Unless you have personally experienced something, you take things on faith. You can't outlaw a basic Human requisite.

Well actually, it can be done and has been done all throughout history.

Perhaps not all religious faith at one time, but every religious faith at one time (nearly) has been outlawed and persecuted.

Pro of faith? Should be simple considering its a basic human requisite?