Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Outlawing faith

Wes4747

Just now, Aquila King said:

What, didn't you know he's to blame for everything bad in the world? :rolleyes:

Scrap my previous statement Wes4747, Obama did it. He's to blame, not testosterone, Obama.

Well, regarding the testosterone, there are probably plenty of design flaws working against us that influence our behavior.

• Like 1

Just now, ChaosRose said:

Well, regarding the testosterone, there are probably plenty of design flaws working against us that influence our behavior.

I'm not personally one that prescribes to the idea that chemicals in our brains directly cause our moods and behaviors, merely that they influence them.

It's just like how external stimuli can influence our moods and behaviors, but it's in how we chose to respond to said stimuli that ultimately dictates this.

This is a complex subject that's possibly being oversimplified in just a few sentences, so, I hope I'm making sense. :mellow:

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I'm not personally one that prescribes to the idea that chemicals in our brains directly cause our moods and behaviors, merely that they influence them.

It's just like how external stimuli can influence our moods and behaviors, but it's in how we chose to respond to said stimuli that ultimately dictates this.

This is a complex subject that's possibly being oversimplified in just a few sentences, so, I hope I'm making sense. :mellow:

It's all a matter of degree. Some people have more severe reactions than others. It does have a lot to do with how we're built. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

It's all a matter of degree. Some people have more severe reactions than others. It does have a lot to do with how we're built. 

64604856.jpg

• Like 3

Not much more I can add to that really. :mellow:

Well, think of it like this. Two people can take the same medication. One gets the side effects and the other doesn't. 

It's like that with hormones, dopamine, etc. Some people have addiction problems, while others don't. 

A lot of it really does have to do with how we're built. 

• Like 2

Well, think of it like this. Two people can take the same medication. One gets the side effects and the other doesn't. 

It's like that with hormones, dopamine, etc. Some people have addiction problems, while others don't. 

A lot of it really does have to do with how we're built. 

No, I completely agree. I have rather severe ADD, so I know exactly what it means to have a structurally different brain. I'm like a completely different person when I'm on my medication. I'm simply saying that there's also a certain degree of free-will to factor in, and that we can't just shift all the blame to brain structure and chemicals. As to how much is influenced by what and how and all that good stuff, I have no clue... :wacko:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

No, I completely agree. I have rather severe ADD, so I know exactly what it means to have a structurally different brain. I'm like a completely different person when I'm on my medication. I'm simply saying that there's also a certain degree of free-will to factor in, and that we can't just shift all the blame to brain structure and chemicals. As to how much is influenced by what and how and all that good stuff, I have no clue... :wacko:

Again, it's degree. If someone is completely out of their mind, then they aren't really responsible for their actions. 

That said, here in the US, we don't like that idea very much. Even Jeffrey Dahmer was found sane.

• Like 4

Again, it's degree. If someone is completely out of their mind, then they aren't really responsible for their actions. 

That said, here in the US, we don't like that idea very much. Even Jeffrey Dahmer was found sane.

And manson... I dont really understand why he is considered such a threat to society. People commit horrific murders all the time and arent given the attention manson accrued.

I do wonder if it was his infective ideologies that really did him in.

Its really hard after looking at the science that determines how our "will" comes about to make any case cut and dry.. I wouldnt want to be on any jury.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

True. It's just a slippery slope if tilted in either direction too much.

1 minute ago, Wes4747 said:

And manson... I dont really understand why he is considered such a threat to society. People commit horrific murders all the time and arent given the attention manson accrued.

Its really hard after looking at the science that determines how our "will" comes about to make any case cut and dry.. I wouldnt want to be on any jury.

Manson got most of the attention he accrued from his cult following of brainwashed women who did the killings for him. It was more the cultish nature of his psychopathy that made him unique.

• Like 2

I think it was the power he held over his followers. He took ordinary kids and turned them into killers. And not just your typical run of the mill murderers. Without getting too gruesome, we all know what they did. 

• Like 2

Manson got most of the attention he accrued from his cult following of brainwashed women who did the killings for him. It was more the cultish nature of his psychopathy that made him unique.

And it was all about his music being rejected. 

• Like 2

Rough quote from memory-i took society's rejects and kids that were thrown away and gave them something to believe in. People that didnt fit into the current mold.

Kids that were raised in a divisive, judgemental society.

2 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

And it was all about his music being rejected. 

Oh i get mad too when no one listens to me hammering out on the six strings!

• Like 1

Imagine the influence he could have had if he'd have gotten a record deal.

• Like 2

So there's a classic situation where faith took people to a very dark place. 

But we were supposed to be talking pros.

• Like 3

On 9/30/2017 at 8:20 AM, I'mConvinced said:

Without faith who would board an airplane?

But maybe they shouldn't.

• Like 1

Everything I can think of brings me right back to faith makes people feel good. 

It gives them something to console them when a loved one gets sick or passes away.

It helps them to not be afraid of death.

It helps them feel safer if they can call on God in a foxhole.

It gives them answers, certainty, a reason for everything, meaning to life. And certainty makes them feel good. 

Sometimes, it even makes them feel superior to other people who don't have it. 

• Like 2

Depending on the faith, it could make their last moments better. 

Then again, it might make them worse. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

Everything I can think of brings me right back to faith makes people feel good. 

It gives them something to console them when a loved one gets sick or passes away.

It helps them to not be afraid of death.

It helps them feel safer if they can call on God in a foxhole.

It gives them answers, certainty, a reason for everything, meaning to life. And certainty makes them feel good. 

Sometimes, it even makes them feel superior to other people who don't have it. 

So maybe a dose of honesty is what we need? 

We are not safe, nothing verifiable out there cares.

We need to take care of each other, all of us.

• Like 1

So maybe a dose of honesty is what we need? 

We are not safe, nothing verifiable out there cares.

We need to take care of each other, all of us.

I think at the very least, dogma isn't good for us. 

There might be something, but maybe not. So we shouldn't look for something to save us from ourselves. 

• Like 2