Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Rare hoard of Roman coins found in field

seeder

Treasure hunter discovers a rare hoard of 2,000-year-old silver Roman coins worth up to £200,000 with a metal detector in a farmer's field (but he'll have to split the cash with the farmer)

Some of the coins were minted during the era of Roman general Mark Antony
    Experts said the find is very rare and each coin could sell for £900 ($12,000)
    Coins would have circulated widely during Roman times - some dating to 32BC
    Mike Smale, 35, found the hoard of rare ancient coins in a farmer's field

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4932822/Treasure-hunter-discovers-rare-2-000-year-old-Roman-coins.html#ixzz4u9nqfdMF

• Like 4

7 hours ago, seanjo said:

That settles it, I'm getting a metal detector...

:lol: I actually went and got one after reading similar stories a few years back....go for it!!

• Like 1

Is there any idea of what was there at one time?  A Roman bank?  Some wealthy person.  The Roman mint?  I hope care is taken in cleaning the coins, which is usually a coin collector's no-no.

Just so you know if you find any Roman coins or other items in the ground, it automatically belongs to the Crown.

On 04/10/2017 at 2:16 PM, Lobotomy said:

Just so you know if you find any Roman coins or other items in the ground, it automatically belongs to the Crown.

No, it doesn't.

The only areas where any treasure found would belong to the Crown are between low and high water marks on beaches.

22 hours ago, Black Monk said:

No, it doesn't.

The only areas where any treasure found would belong to the Crown are between low and high water marks on beaches.

And where can this "between low and high water marks on beaches" be found under the Treasure Act exactly? It specifically states: 

"When treasure is found, it vests, subject to prior interests and rights—

(a)in the franchisee, if there is one;

(b)otherwise, in the Crown."

and goes on to explain: 

"Meaning of “franchisee”.

(1)The franchisee for any treasure is the person who—

(a)was, immediately before the commencement of section 4, or

(b)apart from this Act, as successor in title, would have been,

the franchisee of the Crown in right of treasure trove for the place where the treasure was found.

(2)It is as franchisees in right of treasure trove that Her Majesty and the Duke of Cornwall are to be treated as having enjoyed the rights to treasure trove which belonged respectively to the Duchy of Lancaster and the Duchy of Cornwall immediately before the commencement of section 4."

Either way it belongs to the Crown whether directly or indirectly. Also bear in mind that you are committing a criminal offence otherwise.

Edited by Lobotomy

So if my metal detector detects something, and I dig it up and it turns out to be an old ring-pull, it'll automatically belong to the Crown?

Edited by Black Monk