Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

Carl Sagan on Religion

106 posts in this topic

Scudbuster

Here you go "And then" - this is a pastor who saw the "real light" and came out as an atheist: 

• Like 1

khol
22 hours ago, and then said:

It's the total arrogance that flows from those who share it that is hard to take.

I think many times in regards to these two topics arrogance is never intended but is mistakenly taken that way. With the chasm of belief being so wide between the two I can see how this can happen. But stating provable fact should never be miscontstrued as arrogance. Denying it on the other hand...

• Like 1

Opus Magnus
On 10/01/2017 at 4:22 PM, Scudbuster said:

I certainly miss Carl - he always displayed amazingly clear logic, delivered with that measured well spoken style of his: 

I read carl's books The Dragons of Eden and A Candle in the Dark during my years not being christian. Dragons was a great book, however the Candle, which he wrote much later in life disgusted me as highly unscientific, very biased, and slanderours to even ponder anything paranormal.                    I wonder from the video about the egyptian gods which contradict the hypothesis since they have animal heads. Also, it is half innacurate of what the bible says, but the other half is accurate. It sounds like another attempt at disinfo, and an attack against religion.                           Something to remember is that saint Paul advised not to argue against science in the new testament. I'm sure Isaac Newton and the many other influential christian scientists found out why.

ChrLzs
58 minutes ago, Opus Magnus said:

...however the Candle, which he wrote much later in life disgusted me as highly unscientific, very biased, and slanderours to even ponder anything paranormal.

I have this book - do you, or are you going by your memories?  Please point out the worst of the 'unscience/bias/slander' - in other words, don't just handwave - give actual examples for debate.

Edited by ChrLzs

and then
10 hours ago, I'mConvinced said:

No, I'll sit to one side weeping at the stupidity of both.

Sorry, man.  On this particular train, EVERYBODY will have to choose a seat.  The choice that seems the most rational will be the wrong choice.  

Davros of Skaro
21 hours ago, and then said:

Is there anything you'd die for? 

A Klondike Bar...

Seriously. I would die for the greater good if the need ever came about. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

What makes you special in Davros' eyes?

I'm satisfied with the simple things in life.

Other than the desire to crush the faith of others on an internet forum? ;) 

The faith that:

Would say that the EPA is redundant because a new Earth is going to be created to replace the old.

Would say that you better believe or an army of Locust/Scorpion hybrids with human faces are going to torture you for five months. 

Would fear monger people into believing ancient superstitious patternicity gone amuck nonsense.

This kind of faith is worth, and I feel a must at fighting back. Remember an alcoholic at the height of their affliction would not get it, and would be angry if told that they had a problem.

If I was a Christian? I would recognize "Revelation" as the work of Satan to mock the Lord's sacrifice. 

tumblr_ng5z8gb72d1rw4rq4o1_500.gif

• Like 3

I'mConvinced
3 hours ago, and then said:

Sorry, man.  On this particular train, EVERYBODY will have to choose a seat.  The choice that seems the most rational will be the wrong choice.  

No need to be sorry.  With this particular train I'll be waving you off from the platform - chop, chop you wouldn't want to miss it!

• Like 4

Scudbuster
3 hours ago, and then said:

So, And Then, did you watch the video with Pastor Mike Aus...? Or are you still in total denial of the obvious?

• Like 1

Rlyeh
19 hours ago, and then said:

Your answers tell me that when you see these things occur, you will blame, not those doing the slaughtering, but those who yield up their lives.  Tell me, do you equate such behavior with the suicide bombers of Islam?  Are they all the same to you?  Just curious.

Would you give your life up for God? How about if it involved killing other people?

• Like 3

Scudbuster

Here's a good video for you And Then, it's only 8 minutes long, but well worth your time:

H

Will Do

There is no arguement.

Evolution is the natural method by which mankind was produced out of the early primitive forms of life that permeated the world long ago.

Why is it wrong to believe that the process of evolution which resulted in the appearance of man on our world; was designed, implemented and overcontrolled by God?

We can call it createvolution.

Edited by Will Due

Rlyeh

People who insist God created the universe despite the creation myth never occurring are kind of like Rick Dyer fans, even after Dyer gets caught hoaxing they still believe he is a credible bigfoot researcher. That is the power of faith.

• Like 3

Rlyeh
12 hours ago, Will Due said:

There is no arguement.

Evolution is the natural method by which mankind was produced out of the early primitive forms of life that permeated the world long ago.

Why is it wrong to believe that the process of evolution which resulted in the appearance of man on our world; was designed, implemented and overcontrolled by God?

We can call it createvolution.

No more wrong than believing Zeus throws lightning bolts. 

• Like 2

Will Do
57 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

No more wrong than believing Zeus throws lightning bolts. 

So it's wrong to be a person of faith and a scientist at the same time? 

• Like 1

GoldenWolf
28 minutes ago, Will Due said:

For those of the Abrahamic faiths, yes it is wrong.

Rlyeh
11 hours ago, Will Due said:

Did I say it was?

and then
On 10/10/2017 at 7:00 AM, Rlyeh said:

Would you give your life up for God? How about if it involved killing other people?

Wrong faith, R-man.  Christ died for all who will believe him and accept him.  It's that OTHER belief system that requires homicide for heaven.  Even in my WORST times of trouble, times when I barely could have been considered sane, it never crossed my mind to harm anyone but myself.  His promise to us is that He will see to it that justice is done - that isn't our job.

• Like 1

Scudbuster
6 hours ago, and then said:

Wrong faith, R-man.  Christ died for all who will believe him and accept him.  It's that OTHER belief system that requires homicide for heaven.  Even in my WORST times of trouble, times when I barely could have been considered sane, it never crossed my mind to harm anyone but myself.  His promise to us is that He will see to it that justice is done - that isn't our job.

So, And Then, have you watched any of the videos that have been posted? If so, comments, reaction?

Rlyeh
11 hours ago, and then said:

That wasn't the question. If you believe your Bible then you know your god commands people to kill, would you do it if he told you to?

• Like 1

Will Do
2 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

That wasn't the question. If you believe your Bible then you know your god commands people to kill, would you do it if he told you to?

Since Jesus appeared on earth, the Son of God, we know that the understanding regarding what God commands has evolved, has been raised. That doesn't mean God has changed, just our comprehension has. Through the revelation of the teachings and the life Jesus lived amongst us.

Near the end of the Last Supper he gave us a new commandment. 

Love one another with a fatherly affection which is higher than the brotherly love of the Golden Rule that requires one to love others as you love yourself. 

Rlyeh
Just now, Will Due said:

Since Jesus appeared on earth, the Son of God, we know that the understanding regarding what God commands has evolved, has been raised. That doesn't mean God has changed, just our comprehension has. Through the revelation of the teachings and the life Jesus lived amongst us.

Near the end of the Last Supper he gave us a new commandment. 

Love one another with a fatherly affection which is higher than the brotherly love of the Golden Rule that requires one to love others as you love yourself. 

So when God tells you to kill you do it out of love? Sure thing champ.

• Like 2

Will Do
5 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

If you can't or won't answer the question stop playing games.

It's extremely foolish not to differentiate what's actually true about God from what some otherwise well meaning person had written about him in the Bible in ancient times when a debilitating fear of him predominated everything else.

You're not unable to do that are you? 

Try not to play a game with yourself that just because the Bible says some things that are out of touch with modern reality, it's alright to ignore what you know is true about him from your grown up experience of living life and being in contact with the source of reality that dwells within you, like it does with everyone else.

Rlyeh
7 minutes ago, Will Due said:

It's extremely foolish not to differentiate what's actually true about God from what some otherwise well meaning person had written about him in the Bible in ancient times when a debilitating fear of him predominated everything else.

You're not unable to do that are you? 

Try not to play a game with yourself that just because the Bible says some things that are out of touch with modern reality, it's alright to ignore what you know is true about him from your grown up experience of living life and being in contact with the source of reality that dwells within you, like it does with everyone else.

I'm sorry, what makes you think I'm asking about your "grown up" experiences with your invisible friend? Do you have any idea how completely ridiculous you sound?

• Like 2

Will Do
11 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

I'm sorry, what makes you think I'm asking about your "grown up" experiences with your invisible friend? Do you have any idea how completely ridiculous you sound?

Lol.

I'm sorry, your right. I made a mistake to address your grown up experiences.

Edited by Will Due

I'mConvinced
14 hours ago, and then said:

His promise to us is that He will see to it that justice is done - that isn't our job.

It seems it is our job, I believe this is the reason for the justice systems we see in every culture...

• Like 3