Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Las Vegas Strip Shooting

Timothy

7 hours ago, aztek said:

weapons do not commit murders, people do.

And people own the weapons that murder do.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, aztek said:

they are banned from owning guns already, as well as any felon, yet it does not stop them from getting guns,. what a coincidence, criminals do not obey laws

Criminally yes, but people with serious mental health issues can't be banned from possession or acquisition?

That's a retrograde position.

6 hours ago, Michelle said:

Murders in US very concentrated: 54% of US counties in 2014 had zero murders, 2% of counties have 51% of the murders

https://crimeresearch.org/2017/04/number-murders-county-54-us-counties-2014-zero-murders-69-1-murder/

Most murders happen in cities, most people live in cities. Pretty much?

9 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Precisely!

So, the fewer people that own the tools of murder, the fewer murders will occur?

I'm sensing a big, "Wrongo"!

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

So, the fewer people that own the tools of murder, the fewer murders will occur?

I'm sensing a big, "Wrongo"!

And you made it.

6 hours ago, Kismit said:

It would be interesting to see the stats on gun ownership.

How many people in the US have collections of 30+ guns?

It's actually phenomenal.

Someone correct me where I'm wrong. The US has just over 5% of the population but 42% of the guns in private hands. Of American households, less than 10%  own the majority of those guns.

I read that today, might be wrong.

3 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Criminally yes, but people with serious mental health issues can't be banned from possession or acquisition?

That's a retrograde position.

If they haven't been professionally diagnosed they aren't officially mentally ill.

7 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Most murders happen in cities, most people live in cities. Pretty much?

They have the highest concentration of people for sure. I haven't looked up what the ration is or how they define urban and rural. There are lots of heavily populated suburbs in close proximity to the cities. Not all suburbs are that great a place to live either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

And you made it.

Thanks for sharing your curt opinion, as worthless as it was.

This is a discussion forum.

Expand.

2 minutes ago, Michelle said:

If they haven't been professionally diagnosed they aren't officially mentally ill.

They have the highest concentration of people for sure. I haven't looked up what the ration is or how they define urban and rural. There are lots of heavily populated suburbs in close proximity to the cities. Not all suburbs are that great a place to live either.

Just this year, wasn't there a repeal of an Obama law (God help me for mentioning the unmentionable) that was to prohibit mentally ill people from acquiring firearms?

I'm curious. Or does not patient privilege now supersede public safety in the US?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aztek said:

stats show different picture, they were posted in this very thread, i also produced many stats on state of vermont, with least restrictive laws,and lowest crime rate.

Sure, Vermont is a representative example of the entire United States.

Not.

6 hours ago, Michelle said:

No more difficult than to drive into Mexico and buy them. When my husband was young and stupid, working in California he used to drive to Mexico to buy drugs. The Canadian border is pretty lax too.

Lax no. Vast and largely undefended?, yes.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, .ZZ. said:

It's too late.

Nothing can be done at this point. That ship sailed long ago. There are so many firearms in the US now.

That is a sad truth. Nothing can or will be done now.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Just this year, wasn't there a repeal of an Obama law (God help me for mentioning the unmentionable) that was to prohibit mentally ill people from acquiring firearms?

I'm curious. Or does not patient privilege now supersede public safety in the US?

As far as I know, officially mentally ill people have not been able to buy guns from a reputable dealer since background checks became mandatory in my state. I'm not sure where Obama fits into that. Each individual state has their own laws, not to mention each city and county.  which makes it very confusing. I keep up with the laws in my own state and the ones I travel most in.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Will Due said:

How about everyone just behave and raise the next generation in a normal loving environment. 

Because what we have has just gone so swimmingly? Or, do we need to do the important things differently now?

Watching a lot of Criminal minds and other shows , as well as real life... many killers have nicknames , The Beltway Sniper ! Zodiac Killer, Greenriver killer, etc... in criminal minds (although a show does tie in so,e history about real killers) but one thing they said in the show which sounds true is that , media should never nickname a killer because when they hear their nickname it gives them a sense of honor and purpose...

Stephen Paddock ... what do you guys think his name will end up being ? probably the Vegas Strip Sniper .. 

and no funny jokes like the "he didn't like country music killer" or the "no thank you Jason Aldean Sniper" ..

this dude had some issues, but I think it will just be as simple as the "Vegas Sniper" .. nothing as intricate as the names for the murderes in the past.

5 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

One wonders what religions this couple Paddock and Danley are. It did say on the news Paddock turn to be a Islamic two months ago

a) Post your source, or...

b} Get off this pathetic diatribe. Please.

7 minutes ago, Michelle said:

As far as I know, officially mentally ill people have not been able to buy guns from a reputable dealer since background checks became mandatory in my state. Not to mention each city and county. I'm not sure where Obama fits into that. Each individual state has their own laws, which makes it very confusing. I keep up with the laws in my own state and the ones I travel most in.

Understandably so. The Federal/State/County system where you live must be baffling.

• Like 1

I told myself I would NOT interfere with this side conversation about gun politics that you all are deciding to have ... I mean we're talking about a guy who murdered people . You guys just sit here and bicker about gun laws.... 

in my opinion two things and I hope it opens some of your eyes , first off, say we banned guns ..ok cool (said no one ever lol) but if we did , guess what THERE WOULD STILL BE MILLIONS OF THEM OUT THERE... people have this idea that by banning guns they just magically disappear... how did that work out for the war on drugs ? No one does drugs anymore right ? ..

look, you ban guns yada yada, they will still be out there on the market and in people's homes.

also, knives are a dangerous weapon . People get stabbed and decaptated all the time. I haven't seen an illegal move toward knives . 

Just because people own guns doesn't mean there going to kill people. We all own dinner knives , how many attacks with knives do we see? Someone just went out stabbing someone with dinner knives. Does it happen YES... BUT out of 350 million people in the USA how many stabbings and gun violence are there total in a percentage ? 

Basically guns do kill people , so do people's fists, drugs, knives . However the majority of people aren't killing Americans. We have situations that are so messed up when individuals do pull the trigger on fellow americans, but what kills more is alcohol , drugs and cancer. No one is going to pass a law for guns to be outlawed.  No chance . ESPECIALLY with all the terror and violence going on . Almost like a catch 22 you need to protect yourself If possible . im sorry if this is rambling but I'm just throwing points out there, and I told myself I wouldn't get into this stupid debate .

all and all, banning guns or cracking down on gun laws won't do anything ... guns will always be out there, so will drugs and so will hostility.

try and rid hostility and anger because that's really the root of all evil. 

Edited by LucidElement
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

That is a sad truth. Nothing can or will be done now.

Everyone who wants a weapon can get one, if he has the money.  Or steals it.

It is impossible to restrict firearms here. And it will be that way forever. (IMO)

"You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube".

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

Watching a lot of Criminal minds and other shows , as well as real life... many killers have nicknames , The Beltway Sniper ! Zodiac Killer, Greenriver killer, etc... in criminal minds (although a show does tie in so,e history about real killers) but one thing they said in the show which sounds true is that , media should never nickname a killer because when they hear their nickname it gives them a sense of honor and purpose...

Stephen Paddock ... what do you guys think his name will end up being ? probably the Vegas Strip Sniper .. 

and no funny jokes like the "he didn't like country music killer" or the "no thank you Jason Aldean Sniper" ..

this dude had some issues, but I think it will just be as simple as the "Vegas Sniper" .. nothing as intricate as the names for the murderes in the past.

"The guy who senselessly murdered 59 people and maimed over 500 others", has a better ring to it.

In Norway, they refer to Breivek simply as, "The Terrorist". They don't usually put his name in print because he's not worth the ink.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

Understandably so. The Federal/State/County system where you live must be baffling.

It's a royal pain in the nether regions. It's as stupid as you can have dinner and an adult beverage on one side of the street and on the other side alcohol is illegal.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, .ZZ. said:

Everyone who wants a weapon can get one, if he has the money.  Or steals it.

It is impossible to restrict firearms here. And it will be that way forever. (IMO)

"You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube".

As I said, that is a sad truth and cannot argue.

Edit: But, as @Uncle Sam recently reiterated,why can't there be a federal law against this 'bump thingy' on your semi that turns it into an auto?

Surely on God's green earth a consensus could be reached there? Or does the NRA truly have the United States by the vernacular nuts?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

As I said, that is a sad truth and cannot argue.

Edit: But, as @Uncle Sam recently reiterated,why can't there be a federal law against this 'bump thingy' on your semi that turns it into an auto?

Surely on God's green earth a consensus could be reached there? Or does the NRA truly have the United States by the vernacular nuts?

Well an amnesty would work. It seems that people consider anything that takes longer than a few minutes to be impossible these days. 

It would obviously take time and effort, but it would work. 

I appreciate that it’s hard to get guns out of the hands of unwilling owners, but law changes and a change in public opinion would slowly reduce the possibility of this kind of thing happening. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It's a royal pain in the nether regions. It's as stupid as you can have dinner and an adult beverage on one side of the street and on the other side alcohol is illegal.

I didn't think it was that bad. I have to go a few hundred miles before laws become in conflict, and they are usually minor differences.

• The title was changed to Las Vegas Strip Shooting