Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Las Vegas Strip Shooting

Timothy

8 hours ago, toast said:

Gun control in Germany was established in 1920 already, in compliance to the Treaty of Versailles.

Do you really think that covers it? 

In 1931, Weimar authorities discovered plans for a Nazi takeover in which Jews would be denied food and persons refusing to surrender their guns within 24 hours would be executed. They were written by Werner Best, a future Gestapo official. In reaction to such threats, the government authorized the registration of all firearms and the confiscation thereof, if required for “public safety.” The interior minister warned that the records must not fall into the hands of any extremist group.

In 1933, the ultimate extremist group, led by Adolf Hitler, seized power and used the records to identify, disarm, and attack political opponents and Jews.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/365103/how-nazis-used-gun-control-stephen-p-halbrook

Edited by AnchorSteam
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Timonthy said:

Well an amnesty would work. It seems that people consider anything that takes longer than a few minutes to be impossible these days. 

It would obviously take time and effort, but it would work. 

I appreciate that it’s hard to get guns out of the hands of unwilling owners, but law changes and a change in public opinion would slowly reduce the possibility of this kind of thing happening. 

An 'amnesty' on someone who legally owns tens of thousands dollars worth of firearms? The Federal government in the USA could never afford it.

It works with unwanted firearms. I used to have an old 1920's Belgian pump .22. I traded it to my brother for a cool old coffee urn. If the government gave me a $100 for it, I would have come out ahead.

7 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

So the moral of the story is "don't let Nazi's take over your country"? That's a 'no brainer', isn't it?

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Timonthy said:

I appreciate that it’s hard to get guns out of the hands of unwilling owners, but law changes and a change in public opinion would slowly reduce the possibility of this kind of thing happening. 

I'll be long gone before most people are reprogrammed to be what other people think they should believe and think.

This sort of reminds me of the Christian Crusades or the Borg. "You will be assimilated." You will conform or be exterminated. 

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I'll be long gone before most people are reprogrammed to be what other people think they should believe and think.

This sort of reminds me of the Christian Crusades or the Borg. "You will be assimilated." You will conform or be exterminated. 

Sadly, it's a little different from what I gather. As ZZ kind of said, too much water has passed under that bridge for it to be ever worth seen crossing over again.

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, F3SS said:

:unsure: Man this thread sucks. Where is ThirdEye with his cheesy music break interlude?

Well... a couple of Waylon Jennings songs come to mind; but, it's too soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Sadly, it's a little different from what I gather. As ZZ kind of said, too much water has passed under that bridge for it to be ever worth crossing again.

What I find sad is making innocent people criminals, on a whim, for something they possess, on the possibility it could harm someone else. Like the situation in Australia...they haven't disarmed their population. They have driven people, who were legal gun owners for most of their lives, underground with the possibility of being arrested. Like the stricter knife laws in the UK. No knives six inches or longer even in the kitchen. Sorry Grandma, you're going to jail!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

As I said, that is a sad truth and cannot argue.

Edit: But, as @Uncle Sam recently reiterated,why can't there be a federal law against this 'bump thingy' on your semi that turns it into an auto?

Surely on God's green earth a consensus could be reached there? Or does the NRA truly have the United States by the vernacular nuts?

I am not against having certain parts that improves performance of weapons, just that I find it baffling that government allowed such a item to be made that can bypass the machine gun ban and change the mechanics of a semi-automatic rifle to mimic the machine gun fire rate. Parts that change semi-automatic rifles to burst fire which makes these rifles a little bit faster, this type of fire isn't considered machine gun variant, still a semi-automatic rifle that just fires a couple of bullets more with each pull of the trigger. When you get to the point where you can mimic a fully automatic rifle with a single part, then that is where the line is being crossed by the producers. Basically they are undermining the machine gun ban and making gun lovers look bad in the eyes of everyone who respects the law. If Machine Guns ban were not in place across the nation, then the Bump Fire Stock system wouldn't be such a big deal.

This isn't changing my view on the guns themselves. I am still very much pro-gun and pro-2nd amendment.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, docyabut2 said:

To add, my post , the news did say Isis did claim Poddock is their warrior

I thought that was debunked very early on. Isis like to try and claim responsibility for loads of things they didn't do.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kismit said:

The sytem is not working. The current laws are not working.

People are dying unescisarily. There is no doubt, no study needs done to show that the United States certainly has a huge number of gun deaths, and a much higher rate of mass shootings than Australia or England or New Zealand.

So the system isn't fixed.

How do you fix it?

I say first thing you do is look into all these anti depressants the doctors are pushing on people like they are candy. Nearly every mass shooter in the US has been on them. 

If it turns out this isn't politically motivated, I can almost garrenty he was on them. We are way to quick to alter the chemistry of people's brains, even knowing the side effects. 

Whats a few hundred thousand deaths (from suicide and murder) when big pharm is raking it in though right?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I say first thing you do is look into all these anti depressants the doctors are pushing on people like they are candy. Nearly every mass shooter in the US has been on them. 

If it turns out this isn't politically motivated, I can almost garrenty he was on them. We are way to quick to alter the chemistry of people's brains, even knowing the side effects. 

Whats a few hundred thousand deaths (from suicide and murder) when big pharm is raking it in though right?

I thought it was established the shooter was prescribed Diazipan. I'm not a Doctor, I don't know his pathology. Maybe he needed it and wasn't taking it.

Maybe he was off his meds.

I personally would like to see better nutrition and exercise used to treat anxiety and depression before medication but we can't decided if he did or didn't really need the drugs unless we are Doctors and know his medical/psyche profile.

That's still case by case. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I thought it was established the shooter was prescribed Diazipan. I'm not a Doctor, I don't know his pathology. Maybe he needed it and wasn't taking it.

Maybe he was off his meds.

I personally would like to see better nutrition and exercise used to treat anxiety and depression before medication but we can't decided if he did or didn't really need the drugs unless we are Doctors and know his medical/psyche profile.

That's still case by case. 

I haven't had a lot of time to go through the thread, or the news, so I was unaware. These medications are dangerous, and should only be given in extreme cases. You may be right, he may have not taken his meds, which can cause the same symptoms. Last I've seen, the number 1 cause of violent death in the US is from suicide. With the vast majority of them taking these drugs. They are even pushing this crap on little kids. Often because they have energy. SMH

Any drug that says on the label that it could make you kill yourself should be treated as though it could make you kill yourself. Its true it may have nothing to do with it in this case, but looking at past cases, there is definitely a pattern. What's sad is drug companies own the media. They own the doctors as well. They will never report the dangers of these drugs.

So of course I agree. There are ways to treat depression and anxiety without pushing suicide pills on people. Should be the last resort. Instead its the first.

• Like 2

I'd like to know what Ms Danley's political/philosophical/religious leanings are?

Oh, and I don't believe anyone can live in a house with that many guns and just "not notice" them for 2 years.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I'd like to know what Ms Danley's political/philosophical/religious leanings are?

Why? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Oh, and I don't believe anyone can live in a house with that many guns and just "not notice" them for 2 years.

I don't know.   How big was the house?   Did he have an outbuilding that she would have no interest in spending much time in?    It doesn't take much room to house 40 guns.   I have 9 in one medium sized gun safe.    

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Why? 

Remember that the San Bernardino shooter was radicalized by his wife. I think that this lady is not telling the truth about not noticing the guns and bomb making materials. I'm not say she is necessarily a religious radical, only that it's possible she might have had some type of influence on Mr Paddock. Keep in mind, I said it's possible, not a given. Law enforcement is not releasing very much information (and I wonder why as the shooter is dead). Could law enforcement suspect others to have been involved?

• Like 5

Just now, Lilly said:

Remember that the San Bernardino shooter was radicalized by his wife. I think that this lady is not telling the truth about not noticing the guns and bomb making materials. I'm not say she is necessarily a religious radical, only that it's possible she might have had some type of influence on Mr Paddock. Keep in mind, I said it's possible, not a given. Law enforcement is not releasing very much information (and I wonder why as the shooter is dead). Could law enforcement suspect others to have been involved?

Ahhh ok. I get that and hey while not widely discussed the Phillipines is a hotbed of islamic extremism ....food for thought though its also a hotbed for US black budget agencies and their surrogates. 

Law enforcement does believe he received "some help" at some point but they dont have or arent giving any further details on that at this time. 

12 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't know.   How big was the house?   Did he have an outbuilding that she would have no interest in spending much time in?    It doesn't take much room to house 40 guns.   I have 9 in one medium sized gun safe.    

This is possible as well. Right now no one has the details (we don't know very much really). It could be that Ms Danley was unaware (but I'm still suspicious) two years is a long time to live with a person who would be sneaking about with his guns and bomb making stuff.

• Like 2

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Ahhh ok. I get that and hey while not widely discussed the Phillipines is a hotbed of islamic extremism ....

Might not be religious though, could be some type of political extremism. Anything is possible and considering the general public knows just about *squat* at this point in time, I'm suspicious about all possibilities.

• Like 2

What I think it is clear, is that this guy was Messed Up. I'd bet on him being described as a psychopath. 

I think that those using this to fire up anti-gun anger are destined to fail. They're singing to the choir. Anyone that is pro-gun is going to see what happened here and be fired up with gun hatred. It is very sad what happened, but it appears (at first appraisal) that all these guns were legally bought and that otherwise the guy didn't do anything wrong up to the shooting. Wait... I do think he made explosives, so that would be illegal...

Using the deaths of others, within the same day, to push a political agenda... to me.. is SICK. Come on Jimmy Kimmel, give it a couple days before getting high and mighty.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

What I think it is clear, is that this guy was Messed Up. I'd bet on him being described as a psychopath. 

I think so as well. But keep in mind, even psychopaths have motives (crazy motives, but still motives). Right now we've been given *zero* insight as to what this lunatic's motive might have been. I highly suspect law enforcement has a great deal more information and may be keeping it all 'close to the vest' because they fear an accomplice might have been involved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

Remember that the San Bernardino shooter was radicalized by his wife. I think that this lady is not telling the truth about not noticing the guns and bomb making materials.

what bomb making materials?

few of my exgf's had no idea i had guns, and i dated them for quite a while.they practically lived in my place, noting suspicious of her not knowing.

• The title was changed to Las Vegas Strip Shooting