Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Las Vegas Strip Shooting

Timothy

4 minutes ago, pallidin said:

A neighbor of Paddock and Danleys, Susan Page, told The Washington Post Paddock recently purchased a new silver minivan.

DLaXRj3XcAAgJkr.jpg

It makes more sense now. The tapes would be instructive (hopefully more instructive than the Pentagon tapes).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kismit said:

And that's a bad thing?

I understand your logic here, Kismet but I have a question.  You've made it clear here how you feel about the current U.S. president.  If you thought that such a leader in your own country was taking N.Z. towards totalitarianism, would it concern you that you had no way to resist it at all?  Many around the world seem to actually believe this rhetoric about Trump yet they seem oblivious to the threat of it happening where THEY live.  Political parties can only use the media to accomplish some of their agendas IF the majority of the people are against them.  After that point, they'd have to resort to force.  It's amazing how polite and reasonable an armed populace can cause politicians to be.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lightly said:

No...on the swat teams.  I just wish people would stop killing each other.  I told you it was a kookie idea.  Sorry if it ruffles your tail feathers.

When Bill Clinton pushed through the "assault weapons" ban, the price of these autoloaders went through the roof.  The Feds realized that they couldn't seize the ones already in private hands nor stop them changing hands so all he did was create a fear-driven marketplace.  Obama was the best thing to happen to the firearms industry, EVER.  America has a gun culture that will not be crushed, politically.  I agree that it would be wonderful when someday we stop killing each other but as has been cited ad nauseum, MOST of that killing doesn't involve guns. 

Imagine the level of carnage we'll witness when a Federal government decides it finally can take away these weapons.  58 dead in a day will seem like a truce.  I really think that the Progressives who dream of removing guns simply don't understand the depth of passion the rest of us have on this issue because they are nearly clueless about the founding documents and the ideals this country was built on.

1 hour ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Most legal gun owners don't. I'd rather live in a country comprised of people with guns than one comprised of people in camps.

I get the impression that those who are so totally committed to removing guns from Americans, wouldn't be much concerned if we DID wind up in camps.  It's why I don't take them very seriously.  They truly can't seem to grasp the reality that history has displayed over and over.  Government ALWAYS eventually moves toward Tyranny, ALWAYS.  I think we are clearly seeing that move in America today and Trump isn't the catalyst, he's the solution.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

It depends on the medication and the person. It also depends on the situation. Just look at alcohol for one example. One person gets buzzed from one beer while it takes a distillery to make a second person drunk. All brains are different. All drugs are different. Age and health play roles too, especially when brains are still developing. Some shooters were on cocktails of "hard" psychoactive drugs too.

I took one of my friends Colonopin (sp?) once, it was about the size of a grain of white rice. It knocked me out almost immediately for nearly 24 hours with a few crazy details in between I’d rather not share. OTOH my friend eats them like candy as he’s been prescribed them for years. After that experience I told him he must really be crazy if those things keep him straight. I can imagine how being misprescribed pills can lead to horrific side effects and when diagnosing someone based on educated guesses and opinions I’m sure it happens all the time.

Hey don’t get the wrong idea about me. I hate pills and never tried more than a couple things but for whatever stupid reason I did that night.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, and then said:

they are nearly clueless about the founding documents and the ideals this country was built on.

That and they think that because we have fighter jets and tanks now that there’s no point in even trying. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I've been wondering about that too. Has anybody else heard anything about the type of vehicle?

http://www.abc15.com/news/national/las-vegas-shooter-rigged-his-car-to-explode-if-it-was-shot

Paddock's car, a 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring, was found in the hotel parking garage and contained 90 pounds of Tannerite and two suitcases filled with hundreds of rounds of ammunition, according to information provided by the source.

Image result

• Like 4

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/vegas-motive-mass-shootings.html?_r=0

“In the spirit of the safety of this community or anywhere else in the United States I think it’s important to provide that information, but I don’t have it,” Sheriff Joseph Lombardo of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said in an interview Thursday. “We don’t know it yet.”

No grandiose manifesto has been found. No account of Mr. Paddock behaving dangerously or holding extremist views has emerged from neighbors or relatives. Unlike past killers, Mr. Paddock did not dial up the police to explain his actions.

The F.B.I. took Mr. Paddock’s computers and cellphones to its laboratory in Quantico, Va., for review, law enforcement officials said. Agents interviewed his girlfriend, Marilou Danley, in an attempt to determine his mental state at the time of the shooting, but Sheriff Lombardo said he was “not at liberty to say” what information had been learned.

Of course, investigators could at any time come across evidence that reveals Mr. Paddock’s thinking. “I’m pretty confident we’ll get there,” Sheriff Lombardo said.

Agents have fanned out across the country, interviewing family members and friends and looking for signs of mental illness.

Mr. Paddock left a trail of clues that are, so far, more cryptic than revealing: There was a note in his hotel room whose exact contents the authorities have yet to reveal. Sheriff Lombardo said that it contained numbers that were being analyzed for their relevance, and that it was not a manifesto or suicide note.

• Like 1

An interesting comment post from a reader at https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/us/vegas-motive-mass-shootings.html?_r=0

MWG

Troy, NY 8 hours ago

Andrew Solomon quoting James Knoll hypothesis of Adam Lanza's motive: "'I carry profound hurt—I’ll go ballistic and transfer it onto you.' That’s as much motive as we’re likely to find."

The same theory may apply to Stephen Paddock's motive.

----------------------------------------

I thought it was a good comment...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, and then said:

I understand your logic here, Kismet but I have a question.  You've made it clear here how you feel about the current U.S. president.  If you thought that such a leader in your own country was taking N.Z. towards totalitarianism, would it concern you that you had no way to resist it at all?  Many around the world seem to actually believe this rhetoric about Trump yet they seem oblivious to the threat of it happening where THEY live.  Political parties can only use the media to accomplish some of their agendas IF the majority of the people are against them.  After that point, they'd have to resort to force.  It's amazing how polite and reasonable an armed populace can cause politicians to be.  

I'm not a fan of Dinald Trump and I do believe he is capable of flying off the handle, but I don't believe he has that much support he would attack the entire populace of America.

And the truth be known the American army is far better armed than any civilian army. It's kind of a strange argument to me. Unless your sporting anti tank missiles that is.

Here is another way of looking at it. A few years ago in New Zealand a group of Maori activists  where caught running army training drills in the forest. Recruiting and by all intensive purposes preparing for a coup. Imagine how bad the scenario could have been if they had access to an arsenal like Paddocks?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, and then said:

I get the impression that those who are so totally committed to removing guns from Americans, wouldn't be much concerned if we DID wind up in camps.  It's why I don't take them very seriously.  They truly can't seem to grasp the reality that history has displayed over and over.  Government ALWAYS eventually moves toward Tyranny, ALWAYS.  I think we are clearly seeing that move in America today and Trump isn't the catalyst, he's the solution.

This is where the argument gets halted. It's not an argument of removing all of your guns. It's a question of how to protect as many people as possible from an idiot with a gun.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kismit said:

This is where the argument gets halted. It's not an argument of removing all of your guns. It's a question of how to protect as many people as possible from an idiot with a gun.

Wow... great comment Kismit !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kismit said:

It's not that easy. First you have regulations about what can be revealed about your physical and mental health. Then you have men with archaic views about women's "time of the month". According to them we have no legitimate arguments and we become "totally unreasonable". People inherit guns from parents or grandparents that cannot be traced. There were no background checks at the time of purchase back then. I will never give up the gun my Dad taught me how to shoot at the age of six. It's a pleasant memory and one of the few things I have that belonged to him.

Everything you have mentioned, as far as regulations, is already being done. With so many gun laws on the books there isn't anything new being suggested.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

All authorities say the motive of Paddock has not been found yet.A reason for doing something, especially one that is hidden or not obvious.

• Like 1

I just turned on Bill Maher and his guest just said in the context of trashing the 2nd “it is harder to buy cough medicine than it is to buy an ak47” to claps and cheers from Maher and an equally un-knowledgeable audience.

They keep wanting to “have this conversation” but they never know what the hell theyre talking about. 

• Like 6

23 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

No, apparently what he exhibited was 'normal behaviour'.

Take that for what it what it's worth.

Yeah

23 hours ago, pallidin said:

Extreme psychopaths can sometimes be very difficult to "pre-identify", I would imagine, especially if they "keep to themselves"...

And yeah.

Still, I am a problem solving kind of guy.  I hate to throw up my hands and say nothing can be done.  I can think of several courses of action, none seem very palatable, but might lead to something.

No more public events.  We all stay home, all socializing and entertainment comes online.  Most people don't like this option; being a prisoner in your own country.

Gun control.  No more automatic or semiautomatic weapons.  Most people don't like this option.

AI surveillance.  Most would find this intrusive.

Find out what makes psychopaths.  Is it environmental?  Our diet; chemicals in our food and drink?  Is it genetic?  Is it social pressure?  All of that?  Something else?    Just saying, if there was something worthy of spending a billion dollars to find out this might be it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, F3SS said:

“it is harder to buy cough medicine than it is to buy an ak47”

I suggest he wear a hidden camera, go try and buy one and show the honest, unedited version.

• Like 5

Just now, Michelle said:

I suggest he wear a hidden camera, go try and buy one and show the honest, unedited version.

I’m sure he’d rather just keep talking out of his ass.

• Like 6

Sometimes these things happen and the person has no criminal history and we all just assume that means they weren’t criminals. Not everybody gets caught. This guy could’ve been a serial killer for all we know. Though plenty of issues are discovered in hindsight when they become known they are often smart, methodical and elusive not to mention they’re known sometimes as good neighbors and likeable people. At 64 and not simply “snapping” all of the sudden can it be dismissed that this wasn’t his first venture into murder?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Kismit said:

Since it is literally impossible to stop every idiot who decides to harm or kill his neighbor by using a gun, the question seems to be, how to remove those guns from the idiots before they've done anything to prove that they ARE idiots. There are already laws in place to attempt this.  The Left constantly calls for more laws because their agenda hinges on small steps that criminalize weapons in the hands of average citizens.  Since no step short of actually removing every firearm in private hands could possibly make a significant difference, they know they must find a way to do exactly this.  Fortunately, they also seem to recognize the firestorm they'd create if they attempted outright confiscation.

I'll give you an example of the strategy of anti-gun types.  They will accept the offering of a ban on bump-stocks but will say it's not enough and we MUST do more, always, more.  If they criminalize private sales without becoming part of a government database, all they will have accomplished is to make tens of thousands of Americans, criminals.  They can never stop private gun sales between individuals.

• Like 3

Wierd. He made reservations for some of these hotels, but never actually turned up ? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, susieice said:

Paddock checked into other hotel rooms looking over festivals before he shot Sunday night. One was in Chicago.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/05/las-vegas-gunman-booked-other-rooms-stephen-paddock

And what is the reason to killed at lot of people in groups.  Who has that motive in this world the most,  Islamic  terrorists  

I don't think the insane need a motive. He might have thought he was shooting at soap bubbles, or shooting at squirrels.... Who knows?

Obviously he did make plans though. And making plans does require Reason. So he probably wasn't completely loony toons.

Edited by DieChecker

Even insane people have motives and I'm pretty sure this guy knew he was killing people. What his motive was is anyone's guess at this point in time though. Perhaps he simply hated people for some imagined insults? Who knows, but I hope for the sake of closure the Feds can find out.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Las Vegas Strip Shooting