Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Las Vegas Strip Shooting

Timothy

3 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

I still wonder about other people being involved in this plot. We will see what surfaces over the next few weeks, hopefully something that sheds light on the "doomsayers" in the crowd before the shooting.

Yeah, that person(s) who, 45 min before the shooting,  purportedly said that everyone was going to die most definitely needs to be found, or else that witness debunked as lieing that she heard it from that unknown woman.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

I know. I hope that our "representatives" remember that.

The Us should follow the Canadian model of gun control. Licensing system, different tiers of licensing which requires different courses and testing. 

• Like 1

Property records show Paddock sold several low-end apartment buildings and commercial buildings in California in the 2000s before purchasing an apartment building in Texas and homes in retirement communities in Florida and Nevada. Between 2003 and 2004, Paddock sold at least three commercial properties in California for a total of more than $5 million.

Paddock would buy apartments, move into them to keep an eye on his investment, but “still would employ other people to talk to the tenants because he didn’t want to talk to the tenants,” the broker said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/10/03/new-details-emerge-about-las-vegas-shooter-stephen-paddock-and-girlfriend-marilou-danley/?utm_term=.261fabeb4064

That's a lot of money, but he was a big gambler too.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Property records show Paddock sold several low-end apartment buildings and commercial buildings in California in the 2000s before purchasing an apartment building in Texas and homes in retirement communities in Florida and Nevada. Between 2003 and 2004, Paddock sold at least three commercial properties in California for a total of more than $5 million.

Paddock would buy apartments, move into them to keep an eye on his investment, but “still would employ other people to talk to the tenants because he didn’t want to talk to the tenants,” the broker said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/10/03/new-details-emerge-about-las-vegas-shooter-stephen-paddock-and-girlfriend-marilou-danley/?utm_term=.261fabeb4064

That's a lot of money, but he was a big gambler too.

I'm going to go over this when I have  more time

2 hours ago, F3SS said:

So then it looks like we have a classic psycho here. Apparently his family didn’t know him so well though someone that bad surely couldn’t hide it all the time. He also could’ve been a master manipulator too and I’ll guess this shooting wasn’t his first crime.

Indeed. It is becoming increasingly clear that Paddock was by no means a previously "humble, gentle reclusive" that his lack of documented criminal history might have one to believe.

His "role playing" of violent sexual fantasies with at least one prostitute offers a notion that he was highly disturbed and extremely potentially dangerous long before the mass murders.

And he hid this very well.

• Like 2

In 1987, he bought a 30-unit building at 1256 W. 29th Street in Los Angeles, near the University of Southern California, according to property records. His brother Eric Paddock said the buildings they bought were not “Taj Mahals, but they were nice safe places.”

Crucially, they were excellent investments: Stephen Paddock more than doubled his money on his California holdings, which included at least six multifamily residences, according to property records. He made money in Texas, too. In 2012, he sold a 110-unit building in Mesquite, outside Dallas, for $8.3 million.

He was a good landlord. He kept the rents low, responded promptly to his tenants’ complaints, learned all their names and made sure they were happy. When one reliable tenant complained about a rent increase, he took half off the difference. He designed the ownership structure so his family would profit and installed his mother in a tidy house just behind the apartment complex in Mesquite, Tex.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/07/us/stephen-paddock-vegas.html

He definitely had a change in personality over the years. I guess when he made enough money he had very little use for people anymore. Except when he wanted to be waited on hand and foot. Probably why he took so many gambling vacations. He could be catered to without anyone being up in his business at home.

• Like 3

It's almost as if, judging by the violent sexual role playing, that Paddock fantasized about killing... but he couldn't because the prostitutes were in a safe environment.

Not being able to kill must have internally p***ed him off and caused great mental anquish.

The violent role playing was just not enough.

Now he had to kill for real, and as many as possible to gain relief over his lethal obsession which was not being satisfied for years and years.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Thanato said:

The Us should follow the Canadian model of gun control. Licensing system, different tiers of licensing which requires different courses and testing. 

We're not Canada, which is fine with me. They could enforce the laws that are on the books. New rules and regulations will do little to nothing to prevent future crimes perpetrated by evil and/or insane people, and they will hassle the vast majority of Americans who own guns, people who are no threat to anybody whatsoever. The root causes of crime are much deeper than inanimate objects.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

The Onion has an article to the tune of “there’s nothing that can be done to stop regular mass shootings, says only country in world that has regular mass shootings”.

What existing gun law would have prevented the massacre? Gun control didn't stop Breivik in Norway.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Paranormal Panther said:

What existing gun law would have prevented the massacre? Gun control didn't stop Breivik in Norway.

No, but it did make him a rarity. Rather than “a Tuesday”. 

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

No, but it did make him a rarity. Rather than “a Tuesday”. 

Mass shootings are anomalies here too. They do happen more now than they did in the past, and it would be very helpful to find out why that is. Students brought guns and knives to school in the past, and school shootings and stabbings were next to nonexistent. That shows that the problems aren't caused by the weapons but by the people who use them.

• Like 3

A investigator said the raping was in prostitutes, paid and was only by Poddock`s  fantasy,  but what was his meaning, motive and train to kill.?    

Edited by docyabut2

2 hours ago, Paranormal Panther said:

Mass shootings are anomalies here too. They do happen more now than they did in the past, and it would be very helpful to find out why that is. Students brought guns and knives to school in the past, and school shootings and stabbings were next to nonexistent. That shows that the problems aren't caused by the weapons but by the people who use them.

273 this year alone are “anomalies”?

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-many-mass-shootings-in-america-las-vegas-shooting-2017-10?r=US&IR=T

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It's too bad they don't report which ones are gang related. Or when it's a private domestic issue with some trailer trash shooting up their own family.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Michelle said:

It's too bad they don't report which ones are gang related. Or when it's a private domestic issue with some trailer trash shooting up their own family.

They have gangs and trailer trash in Australia too.  It's curious that many Americans think that these two categories shouldn't figure into the gun death rate.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The biggest problem is which definition of mass shooting is being used.

Under US federal law mass killing is defined as three or more killed with no cool off period.

CNN defines mass shooting as four or more fatalities not including gang or family violence.

USA Today defines mass shooting as four or more fatalities but includes family violence.

Mass Shooting Tracker, which most media uses, defines a mass shooting as any time 4 or more people are hurt by gun violence regardless if anyone died or not.  Interestingly CNN also uses this definition for reporting instead of it's own at times.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

They have gangs and trailer trash in Australia too.  It's curious that many Americans think that these two categories shouldn't figure into the gun death rate.

The trends from other countries are finding their way here too. I heard of the first case I know of in the US last week where acid was thrown in a woman's face disfiguring her. I'd rather be shot. I have a very good chance of living and I wouldn't be scarred for life.

• Like 3

The first anti-stab children's book bag / backpack I ever heard of was from the UK. I'd never even heard of them for adults over here.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The first anti-stab children's book bag / backpack I ever heard of was from the UK. I'd never even heard of them for adults over here.

It's basically the same kevlar bullet proof backpack you can buy over here. They became really popular right after Sandy Hook. About $130 with an optional reinforcing plate for another $100 or so. 

The thing is, most of us are confidant, as we go through our daily lives, we won't be shot. There are pockets, in most larger cities, where you don't even drive through under any circumstances. Day or night. Even if they aren't aiming at you a stray bullet could catch you. Then there are cities where the vast majority is a no go zone.

Y'all make it sound like we are dodging bullets going to the mall. Granted violence did spread when they did away with a lot of the low income housing projects. At that time they required landlords to provide a certain percentage of low income minorities in their rental properties. It caused a lot of problems with rival gang members ending up living in close proximity to each other.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The thing is, most of us are confidant, as we go through our daily lives, we won't be shot. There are pockets, in most larger cities, where you don't even drive through under any circumstances. Day or night. Even if they aren't aiming at you a stray bullet could catch you. Then there are cities where the vast majority is a no go zone.

Y'all make it sound like we are dodging bullets going to the mall. Granted violence did spread when they did away with a lot of the low income housing projects. At that time they required landlords to provide a certain percentage of low income minorities in their rental properties. It caused a lot of problems with rival gang members ending up living in close proximity to each other.

I can be mostly confident that if one of my students wigs out, I’m not going to have to shield my kids from a spray of bullets. Sadly, the same cannot be said of teachers in the US who are doing “mass shooter” drills with five year olds.

Which leads us to this piece of advice - ****ing sort you’re **** out, your scarring the children.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats

For some insane reason, the “you’re” there is being replaced by a “your”.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Sadly, the same cannot be said of teachers in the US who are doing “mass shooter” drills with five year olds.

Are you sure about that?

Are they doing the same kind of emergency drills they've been doing for a hundred years? Does it traumatize them to have fire, tornado or whatever natural disaster drills? Or the duck and cover drills of the cold war?

Most schools have only gone so far as have have more a more effective way of quickly locking down. One used it for a bear last year. Some have also installed buzzers so anyone off the street can't walk in. I know lots of teachers and the vast majority of even middle and high schools aren't doing active shooter drills. Some of the more violent schools have installed metal detectors at the doors.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Michelle said:

He definitely had a change in personality over the years. I guess when he made enough money he had very little use for people anymore. Except when he wanted to be waited on hand and foot. Probably why he took so many gambling vacations. He could be catered to without anyone being up in his business at home.

Kinda what I suspected earlier in the week, I know a lot pathological gamblers and I've seen them go through the changes in personality both and either way, through hitting it big and having the bottom fall out, its not actually the money but it does ride on the money so to speak ...

~

[00.05:34]

~

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Las Vegas Strip Shooting