Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Timothy

Las Vegas Strip Shooting

1,464 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

RavenHawk
2 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

Every state except for Las Vegas bans assault rifles? This is the first case of a actual assault rifle being used in a mass murder spree, others were semi-automatic... :(

A gun band wouldn't have stopped this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Lilly

Yeah, time to crack down on assault rifles. Time to have armed security (let them have the assault rifles) at large events.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Essan
21 minutes ago, F3SS said:

I just heard they have the shooters roommate, some Asian woman, who worked at the hotel. Unsure of motive but this was planned, not random.

Apparently she's an Australian

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-02/police-respond-to-shooting-on-las-vegas-strip-live-blog/9008460
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder
3 hours ago, Lilly said:

I wonder if the authorities have the girlfriend in custody yet?

Yep!

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Link (and replacement link) removed due to graphic content

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sam
5 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

A gun band wouldn't have stopped this.

No it wouldn't at all... just state this is the first case of high powered assault rifle being used, let alone someone with experience using this type of gun. The others were children who probably wouldn't been able to handle a assault rifle, I shot one once, they are hard to aim due to the kick back throwing the shots everywhere unless you stabilize it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sam
9 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Yeah, time to crack down on assault rifles. Time to have armed security (let them have the assault rifles) at large events.

I know this is sarcasm, but some people don't realize. I am going to spell it out for them. 49 out of 50 states ban owning or using assault rifles. I had to go to Los Vegas to even shoot one at the range, at the time I didn't realize los vegas allowed to own one. Thought it was one of those, shoot a gun from the military once in your life. It isn't easy to get assault rifles off the black market, but it isn't impossible either.

Edited by Uncle Sam
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk
2 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

No it wouldn't at all... just state this is the first case of high powered assault rifle being used, let alone someone with experience using this type of gun. The others were children who probably wouldn't been able to handle a assault rifle, I shot one once, they are hard to aim due to the kick back throwing the shots everywhere unless you stabilize it. 

I've fired the M60 many times.  It is very accurate at those ranges.  Don't expect a tight grouping like you would find at a shooting range.  If it was an M60, the round would be the 556 (which is a high powered 22).  The weapon was probably drum or belt fed.  Bodies that are packed that tightly were probably struck by the same round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Sam
2 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

I've fired the M60 many times.  It is very accurate at those ranges.  Don't expect a tight grouping like you would find at a shooting range.  If it was an M60, the round would be the 556 (which is a high powered 22).  The weapon was probably drum or belt fed.  Bodies that are packed that tightly were probably struck by the same round.

I always prefered weapons with tight grouping and high accuracy. M60 has a stand doesn't it, that eliminates a lot of the kick back. I was holding the rifle I was using in my hands without being braced, the instructor told me to try it that way first. He was drilling into me that you have to brace assault rifles if you want accurate shots. I can see a single round entering multiple people. Most people don't realize being shot with a round after it already hit someone does more damage than the initiate shot. O.O

Edited by Uncle Sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

The Police have just announced that a total of 406 people were taken to various hospitals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pallidin

The number of injured has now gone up to over 400.

The current death toll remains at 50+

The crowd size (total) was 22,000.

Numbers are expected to rise, especially fatalities.

Shooter killed himself.

Shooter had 10+ rifles in the room of the hotel.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.
38 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Here's some info on that ISIS video from the summer: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4940156/ISIS-video-called-lone-wolf-attack-Las-Vegas.html

Notice how the video features an American ISIS fighter.

 

Yes, he looked of Middle Eastern appearance. No doubt he was either born in the US, or was raised there from a young age (hence the accent) It's not the first time that these terrorists have been educated and raised in a decent Western society, then eventually turn like a venomous snake on their host country when they decide to become radicalised for their filthy hell hole motherlands. This whole event is not only tragic, but sickening.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pallidin

He retained that particular hotel room since Sept. 28, according to the sheriff.

Edited by pallidin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder
11 minutes ago, pallidin said:

He was in that particular hotel room since Sept. 28, according to the Sheriff.

 

he probably needed that time to smuggle all the arms in

 

 

Edited by seeder
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BiffSplitkins
1 hour ago, Uncle Sam said:

Every state except for Las Vegas bans assault rifles? This is the first case of a actual assault rifle being used in a mass murder spree, others were semi-automatic... :(

I bet that law changes rather quickly now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk
4 minutes ago, BiffSplitkins said:

I bet that law changes rather quickly now. 

Again, no law would have prevented this.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RavenHawk
54 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

I always prefered weapons with tight grouping and high accuracy. M60 has a stand doesn't it, that eliminates a lot of the kick back. I was holding the rifle I was using in my hands without being braced, the instructor told me to try it that way first. He was drilling into me that you have to brace assault rifles if you want accurate shots. I can see a single round entering multiple people. Most people don't realize being shot with a round after it already hit someone does more damage than the initiate shot. O.O

Yes, the 60 has a stand.  Going Rambo is only accurate in the movies.  But what gets me now, is that at that range, it would have been far more effective if every 5th round or so was a tracer.  I didn't see tracers in the clips seen so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

Any person in the U.S. who is willing to pay for a fully automatic rifle and can pass a very stringent background investigation by the ATF, can own one.  The costs are prohibitive for the average person and most people don't care to own one, anyway.  I really wish that there was a way to communicate to our friends across the pond that you cannot just walk into a gun store and walk out with a real "machine gun" here in the U.S.  That weapon last night was the real deal.  THAT was an assault rifle, NOT what has been used in every other mass shooting you've heard of in recent years.  I'll really be interested to know how and where he got it.

edit to add a link on full-auto firearm sales in Las Vegas:

 

Edited by and then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLOMBIE
1 minute ago, and then said:

Any person in the U.S. who is willing to pay for a fully automatic rifle and can pass a very stringent background investigation by the ATF, can own one.  The costs are prohibitive for the average person and most people don't care to own one, anyway.  I really wish that there was a way to communicate to our friends across the pond that you cannot just walk into a gun store and walk out with a real "machine gun" here in the U.S.  That weapon last night was the real deal.  THAT was an assault rifle, NOT what has been used in every other mass shooting you've heard of in recent years.  I'll really be interested to know how and where he got it.

What about private sales in Nevada? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder
28 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Yes, he looked of Middle Eastern appearance.

 

Are you sure you saw the right photo? Check this one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41472462

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
seeder

quick google shows at least 3 gun-shops in Vegas

 

Discount Firearms & Ammo
4.1 (242) · Gun shop
Las Vegas, NV, USA · +1 702-567-1158
Opens at 09:00

Briarhawk Firearms & Ammunition
4.9 (31) · Gun shop
Las Vegas, NV, USA · +1 702-432-9520
Closed today

2nd Amendment Gun Shop
4.5 (72) · Gun shop
Las Vegas, NV, USA · +1 702-272-2510
Opens at 09:00

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
hetrodoxly

Heartfelt condolences to friends across the pond, we should never ever get used to these attacks.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
15 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Again, no law would have prevented this.

Why do you guys keep spouting this nonsense? If firearms were illegal in the US, it would be almost impossible for any regular citizen to get their hands on this type of machinery. It would be incredibly difficult for an ordinary citizen to even acquire a normal hand gun. Look at any western country with strict gun laws and you'll find your evidence.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
Just now, FLOMBIE said:

What about private sales in Nevada? 

These weapons are controlled by Federal laws.  An individual could sell one to a private individual legally, ONLY after that person could prove they had been approved by the ATF and had received a "stamp" (certification) to own a full-auto.  If the guy bought it from someone who had stolen it, of course, no law can prevent that.  There are severe legal penalties for transferring such weapons outside the system that is controlled by the ATF.  To give you an idea of how difficult it is to deal with the FEDs on special weapons, my nephew decided that he wanted a suppressor for a short barrelled rifle.  He needed a "tax stamp" for the suppressor and the rifle.  The rifle was not a full-auto, it just had a very short barrel length.  The suppressor was the screw-on type and cost him about 200$.  He is STILL waiting, after more than a year for approval of his suppressor.  Once he gets his stamp, that rifle and suppressor HAVE to be in his possession or locked away all the time.  If he forgot and left the weapon in his truck and his wife or friend used the vehicle to go on an errand and they happened to be stopped for a traffic violation they could be charged with Felony possession of a controlled weapon and if convicted could go to Federal prison for about 10 years, IIRC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Astra.
3 minutes ago, seeder said:

Are you sure you saw the right photo? Check this one

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41472462

Yes I'm sure Seeder. I was talking about the guy in the ISIS vid that Lilly posted who called out for the attack in May. I didn't think he was the actual shooter. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aquila King

I absolutely heartbroken over the news. :( My heart goes out to all the victims and their families.

When will these senseless mass-murders ever cease?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.