Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Las Vegas Strip Shooting

Timothy

21 minutes ago, Kismit said:

It would be awfully nice if we could perhaps have a few days to come together and console each other over this sad, tragic, and awful event.

The human beings affected by it are just like us, different political ideals, religions, and not one of the victims wanted this to happen (regardless of gun rights/laws).

Can we please just takke a few days of thoughts for the victims and thier families before we fight about our own beliefs.

Yes. And no. 

I would be loath to ascribe motives.. but... I'm intrigued about the mechanics of this. How was he able to DO this ? 

Edited by RoofGardener

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Yes. And no. 

I would be loath to ascribe motives.. but... I'm intrigued about the mechanics of this. How was he able to DO this ? 

easy, bring guns, and ammo, possibly in suitcases, take guns apart so they fit, and that is all there is to mechanics of it, oh yea, convert semi auto to full auto, plenty of parts sold to do such modification with ak  ar and many others. i have little doubt he got them illegally,(as in converted possibly legal semi auto guns) it is just too much involved, to do it legally.  it is not nearly as easy as some here make it look. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

Not to veer to far.

CBS has parted ways with one of the company’s top lawyers after she said she is “not even sympathetic” to victims of the Las Vegas shooting because “country music fans often are Republican,” when discussing the tragic mass shooting that occurred in Las Vegas late Sunday night. 

“This individual, who was with us for approximately one year, violated the standards of our company and is no longer an employee of CBS. Her views as expressed on social media are deeply unacceptable to all of us at CBS. Our hearts go out to the victims in Las Vegas and their families,” a CBS spokeswoman told Fox News.

Hayley Geftman-Gold, the network's now-former vice president and senior counsel, took to Facebook after a gunman opened fire at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival in Las Vegas, killing at least 58 people and sending more than 500 others to hospitals.

“If they wouldn’t do anything when children were murdered I have no hope that Repugs [sic] will ever do the right thing,” Geftman-Gold wrote in a now-deleted message that was first reported and captured by The Daily Caller.

Geftman-Gold continued: “I’m actually not even sympathetic bc [sic] country music fans often are Republican gun toters [sic].”

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/10/02/top-cbs-lawyer-no-sympathy-for-vegas-vics-probably-republicans.html

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

Hayley Geftman-Gold, the network's now-former vice president and senior counsel, took to Facebook after a gunman opened fire at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival in Las Vegas, killing at least 58 people and sending more than 500 others to hospitals.

Yeah, Lawyers are a cold-blooded lot, to say the least.... but this is more interesting.

Usually the killed/wounded ratio is 1-3, or 1-6 in ideal situations. What we are looking at in Vegas is 1-11, and that is pretty damned amazing. There must be some pretty awesome examples of heroism and fantastically spot-on medical work going on while the shooting was still happening.

THAT is the side of this that I would like to know more about. 

Maybe later, I'll get into the rest of this. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FLOMBIE said:

Problems have multiple causes. 

So lets try to find the common causes

• Like 2

Just now, AnchorSteam said:

Yeah, Lawyers are a cold-blooded lot, to say the least.... but this is more interesting.

Usually the killed/wounded ratio is 1-3, or 1-6 in ideal situations. What we are looking at in Vegas is 1-11, and that is pretty damned amazing. There must be some pretty awesome examples of heroism and fantastically spot-on medical work going on while the shooting was still happening.

yea they are, but they also are smart enough  not to say stupid things that may hurt them in the future, not this one thou.

my guess from that angle many were wounded by ricochet. 

Edited by aztek

15 minutes ago, AnchorSteam said:

There are many stories coming out about ordinary people managing to get to their vehicles, loading wounded inside and into the back of the trucks taking them to safety. It seems everyone was helping everyone else.

• Like 4

TV news is reporting that the shooter's father was a psychopathic bank robber no less. The idea that this person may have had delusional motives for killing all these innocent people seems more and more likely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

But you chose to post the implication anyway ? :( 

That is NOT a neutral position. Or are you suggesting a biblical "sins of the father" thingymabob ? 

No, just reporting what I heard.

The inference, I think, was a genetic predisposition to psychotic behavior brcause of his fathers illness. Don't know if that's medically sound 'cause it came from a reporter not a doctor.

I have no opinion... its just too bizarre.

• Like 1

i do not think his father's "trade" had anything to do, not at 64. not to mention bank robbers rob banks to get money,  live lavish lives, and not work,  this guy just killed, and then killed himself, he was not interested in living after that, 2 very different mindsets, i would not believe reporter's evaluation of his father mental state.  they'll say anything. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Does anyone here know what types of guns fit that "profile" ? 

I heard the sound and it did not seem like any belt-fed weapon to me.  Though both a belt-fed M249 (SAW) and M-60 could be fired in such a manner, it would require an individual who understood the need for barrel cooling.  My guess is that it was an M4 carbine on full auto being fired in bursts while he changed aim points and then magazines.  The guy was a pilot and owned two aircraft, apparently, so he is the type of collector that could have easily afforded to go through the screening process and pay the exorbitant price for a full-auto rifle.  If he actually had a SAW or an M-60, I'm not sure how he got them legally.  I've never heard of individuals owning true, squad type light machine guns but I guess it's possible - with enough CASH.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, aztek said:

i do not think his father's "trade" had anything to do, not at 64. not to mention bank robbers rob banks to get money,  live lavish lives, and not work,  this guy just killed, and then killed himself, he was not interested in living after that, 2 very different mindsets, i would not believe reporter's evaluation of his father mental state.  they'll say anything. 

True, which is why I was cautious the way I worded my post.

To be fair, the NBC reporter was cautious as well.

Your point is well taken!

• Like 1

here is more reporter's theories, they may be right, maybe not, will see as investigation continues.

CNN said Paddock had bought multiple firearms in the past, several of them purchased in California. Yet it does not appear that those weapons were among the ones used in the Las Vegas massacre, it said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/stephen-paddock-police-search-motive-183100925.html

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, susieice said:

Could be but that's a little too coincidental for me. Did she see this guy stockpiling weapons in that hotel room? Did she know him? Did he talk to her and kind of expose his plan? They need to find and seriously question her.

Iv been to vegas, homeless people and others on the street shout crazy things at you all the time.

She just happened to be write this one time.

Any sane person would of told the police if they really felt those people were about to die 

• Like 5

Hey WillDue I hope you and those you know pull through all this and sorry for the one you lost. 

What an effed up situation. Why couldn’t that dude just kill himself instead.

• Like 2

You know, I've had my own "twisted" moments throughout my life. To be sure, there is no halo above my head.

But I do not understand how one can murder, and continue to murder, scores of people without "reason" in a single setting.

Barring ISIS or some other intense terroristic ideology, the motivation for this mass murder, at least on the surface, seems to make no sense at all.

The attack was obviously planned. But why? Why attack with intended lethality hundreds and thousands of completely innocent people in a single setting?

The murderous mindset behind this attack, if not connected to formal terrorism, seems very bizarre.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, pallidin said:

You know, I've had my own "twisted" moments throughout my life. To be sure, there is no halo above my head.

But I do not understand how one can murder, and continue to murder, scores of people without "reason" in a single setting.

Barring ISIS or some other intense terroristic ideology, the motivation for this mass murder, at least on the surface, seems to make no sense at all.

The attack was obviously planned. But why? Why attack with intended lethality hundreds and thousands of completely innocent people in a single setting?

The murderous mindset behind this attack, if not connected to formal terrorism, seems very bizarre.

Who knows, It is best not to know what goes on in their heads tbh.

Edited by Baldylocks
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, pallidin said:

If someone is mentally deranged, no sane person can hope to ascribe sensible motives to their actions. In other words, the people we saw as innocent victims to him may have looked like the demonic entities God sent him to destroy. Or, he could have been born with one, single genetic mutation you don't have and it happened to eliminate all forms of empathy in his mind. We just have no way of knowing how deep his delusions went or how powerful hallucinations might have been. 

It's a lot easier to deal with tragedies like this when we can apply a rationale to it. But I fear this attack may have been a case of that one human in 1.xxx million that just....snaps. :unsure: 

God bless the families of the victims and God bless the victims that helped others in the heat of the attack. 

• Like 2

This is a little beyond just snapping though. This was planned for just like the Auroa movie theater.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, F3SS said:

This is a little beyond just snapping though. This was planned for just like the Auroa movie theater.

Yes, very much so.

I hope investigators find out why.

• Like 1

Now at 59 dead, 527 injured.

Jeeze...

It set a tragic record. You wonder if his age set a record too. He's old for a mass murderer *or* a serial murderer. He's 64. You wonder if he got a cancer diagnosis. Maybe he had a brain tumor like Charles Whitman. Maybe he inherited his psychopathic traits from his dad. There may not be any real explanations or revealed motives. It may stay a mystery. You understand it more when criminals and terrorists, as well as drugged and psychotic individuals, do these kinds of things. Other than his dad's record, there doesn't seem to be any "explanations" for his evil actions. That makes it more worrying.   

• Like 3

Just in from CNN:

Police have found 18 guns, explosives, and thousands of rounds of ammunition in the home of the Las Vegas maniac murderer.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Evidently, he had no military training. How did he get the weapons and the ammunition? Fully automatic weapons aren't legal. They claim that he converted them, but that may be false. Two dealerships claim that he bought guns from them. I don't know the types of weapons. If he purchased both weapons and ammunition during a short amount of time in recent days, that *does* show that he likely planned this. I wish that he was alive so that he could answer the big question.  

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Las Vegas Strip Shooting