Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Ghost' caught on camera? school CCTV footage

Still Waters

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I looked a couple more times but didn't see it. Which window should I be looking at? (A ball-shaped distortion sounds more paranormal than normal)

Of course it does   -  to you  .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I don't see that being the case with the wet  floor sign.

in case you didn't 'observe' this    .... everything else is against a wall that backs onto another room.

You need to believe so hard , you seem to somehow blind yourself to the obvious .  eg .  you totally ignored this observation and go "but what about the sign "  ? 

But what about the original observation about the other phenomena  Papa ?    You just hand wave it away and go "but what about the sign ?"

I cant imagine you never heard about  fishing line    ?     and Halloween ... and 'school tricks '    and school kids games ,   and  and and   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

in case you didn't 'observe' this    .... everything else is against a wall that backs onto another room.

You need to believe so hard , you seem to somehow blind yourself to the obvious .  eg .  you totally ignored this observation and go "but what about the sign "  ? 

But what about the original observation about the other phenomena  Papa ?    You just hand wave it away and go "but what about the sign ?"

If you go back and check, the statement I was pointing out the oversight in was: Why are all the moving items either in the shadows or at a place where a hiding person can make the object move.  I was correct in pointing out an important oversight.

1 hour ago, back to earth said:

I cant imagine you never heard about  fishing line    ?     and Halloween ... and 'school tricks '    and school kids games ,   and  and and   :rolleyes:

Yes, I have heard of all those things and considered them possible. The action of the floor sign seemed pretty twisting and violent for a non-visible fishing line (but possible I guess). Would you think a principal and staff would let a hoax get this far and scare the children and parents if they knew it was a hoax? And did your read the backdrop article I provided....and and and:rolleyes:

Now I am sensible enough to say we can only talk in terms of possibilities. But somehow you present possibilities as the answer that it is not paranormal. That is not logical on your part.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

http://beyondrealitynews.com/2017/10/07/its-looking-like-the-viral-irish-school-video-was-a-hoax/

The school’s deputy principal, Aaron Wolfe, told Storyful that on the night, October 29, the school will be open to the public, who will be able “to see if it’s really haunted after all."

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SecretSanta said:

http://beyondrealitynews.com/2017/10/07/its-looking-like-the-viral-irish-school-video-was-a-hoax/

The school’s deputy principal, Aaron Wolfe, told Storyful that on the night, October 29, the school will be open to the public, who will be able “to see if it’s really haunted after all."

Be my secret santa and buy me a secret santa gift, first class ticket to Ireland and that school all expenses paid. I want to see if it's truly haunted. I will even make a tinfoil hat with an aluminum foil insert and possibly some copper foil because one never knows. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

The action of the floor sign seemed pretty twisting and violent for a non-visible fishing line

Violent? It got pulled .... by, highly likely a fishing line. Thats the beauty with some of them fishing lines,  you are never going to see it on a black and white cctv camera. ;)

Them students are not stupid, but its not rocket science to work out how it was all done  

. I take it you have figured this one out now and how they got to pull the sign? One quick yank and you get the "violent"  effect. Light piece of flat metals being "violently" yanked with a fishing line will give you the "twisting" effect....as well as a hell of a racket, especially as the floor is not carpeted.

I am surprised with you Parageorge, all this interest in the paranormal and you have never tried to recreate the effects yourself or do you trust all these sort of films are the real thing, legit, the real mccoy, all  the proof you need?

The "tricks" in the video are actually kids stuff and very easily done. I have seen better than this, although it did not take long to debunk the either.

Anyway, enough of this now, no need to get a page 3 started on this thread.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Violent? It got pulled .... by, highly likely a fishing line. Thats the beauty with some of them fishing lines,  you are never going to see it on a black and white cctv camera. ;)

Them students are not stupid, but its not rocket science to work out how it was all done  

. I take it you have figured this one out now and how they got to pull the sign? One quick yank and you get the "violent"  effect. Light piece of flat metals being "violently" yanked with a fishing line will give you the "twisting" effect....as well as a hell of a racket, especially as the floor is not carpeted.

I am surprised with you Parageorge, all this interest in the paranormal and you have never tried to recreate the effects yourself or do you trust all these sort of films are the real thing, legit, the real mccoy, all  the proof you need?

The "tricks" in the video are actually kids stuff and very easily done. I have seen better than this, although it did not take long to debunk the either.

Anyway, enough of this now, no need to get a page 3 started on this thread.

Is your point because it could be faked, it was faked?? Clear logical error if that is your point. Did you read the article and arguments I presented? And it is settled conclusively? I think in terms of likelihood and you in black/white conclusions. I think my way shows better reasoning skills.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Is your point because it could be faked, it was faked?? Clear logical error if that is your point. Did you read the article and arguments I presented? And it is settled conclusively? I think in terms of likelihood and you in black/white conclusions. I think my way shows better reasoning skills.

It was faked. Because if you apply logic to it. You reality it's basically viral advertising for some Halloween thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

It was faked. Because if you apply logic to it. You reality it's basically viral advertising for some Halloween thing.

About as bad as ilogic can get right there. 

Just now, papageorge1 said:

About as bad as ilogic can get right there. 

Coming from you. I don't think your comment means much. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, back to earth said:

I was just gonna mention fishing line, and then Xeno did some more of his black magic and I ended up in the Happy People thread. 

I was left blinking and wondering how the hell I got there. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I looked a couple more times but didn't see it. Which window should I be looking at? (A ball-shaped distortion sounds more paranormal than normal)

It is easier to see in the video but I made a GIF for you:

---> 111.gif.6e527c1eb7de3b1c46d4418675509128.gif 

It is very faint and it is a ball-shaped distortion of pixels that moves from left to right (from window to the locker) and when it hits the locker, the door swings open.

You can see it move across the bottom of the empty locker.

I wonder what that could be...

Edited by Ashyne
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2017 at 5:47 AM, papageorge1 said:

Based on what I know the Papameter rates the chances     80% paranormal ; 20% Hoax ; 0% Natural Causes

6 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I think you need to get rid of your papameter. 

It is faked. 

On 10/7/2017 at 5:47 AM, papageorge1 said:

If the principal and staff know it was a hoax, would they let the story get this far scaring the kids?

Really? Has it not occured to you who are involved in making the video?

• Like 3

I'd have to favour the "viral advertising" thing, as it seems just TOO much of a coincidence. 

OK.... some thoughts. As another member has already pointed out; why would a CCTV camera record sound ? I know many of them are capable of this, but why would a school CCTV do this ? Wouldn't that be regarded as being somewhat intrusive ? 

Why is the CCTV positioned so low down ? It almost looks - from the angle - that it would be scarcely above head height ? Isn't that somewhat unusual ? IS this a CCTV, or a camera on a tripod ? 

The article stated that the camera is a motion-triggered unit. That is entirely credible. We have a similar system at work. it is also credible that staff would have reviewed the video, because such systems usually trigger an alert when they detect motion. The school security people would notice the alert, and review the footage accordingly. But here's a thought.... what triggered the motion sensor in the first place ? there is about 10 seconds of motionless footage before the events begin. (starting with the door opening and slamming closed in the background). Why ? 

OK... fishing cable.. notoriously "invisible" in natural daylight. However, this camera seems to be producing its own light (probably infra-red). Many cameras do this; there is no such thing as a camera that can see in true darkness, so they have their own "torch" built in. I would expect fishing twine to show up in THAT. (as a reflective 'glisten'. Especially if it was used to violently rock the locker unit back and forth, implying that the twine would be violently stretching and relaxing). Yes, there is a window behind it... but it LOOKS like a fixed, internal pane of glass, not one that opens. 

There are some curious background noises... shuffling.. and then an odd "ticking" noise. 

Of course, if the video was subsequently edited, then all bets are off, as anomalies such as the twine could be "airbrushed" out. It would be a sophisticated and time-consuming bit of video manipulation, but entirely feasible with modern (and cheap) editing software, which a school may very well possess. What you would NOT normally be able to do is upload the manipulated video back into the original recording device. (they are manufactured to prevent this, as otherwise they would have limited credibility if used in a court of law). So the acid test would be to make the recording device available to an independent expert to review ALL of the footage from that night, in context with the footage from the other cameras. 

A fake ? Probably. Rather a good one though !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ashyne said:

It is easier to see in the video but I made a GIF for you:

---> 111.gif.6e527c1eb7de3b1c46d4418675509128.gif 

It is very faint and it is a ball-shaped distortion of pixels that moves from left to right (from window to the locker) and when it hits the locker, the door swings open.

You can see it move across the bottom of the empty locker.

I wonder what that could be...

I do see a distortion move across (maybe your screen display or your eyes are better than mine). But anyway this would argue in favor of a paranormal explanation like an orb or energy on the move.

For those here that exaggerate what I say, this just increases the likelihood and nothing has been proven or disproven.

Edited by papageorge1

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

It is faked. 

Such an obvious end of story, eh. :rofl:

7 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Really? Has it not occured to you who are involved in making the video?

We are told it is a surveillance camera. I have heard nothing more than dismissive theories to the contrary.

10 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

From the schools Facebook page...

IMG_0237.PNG

I am curious what this is. This appears in conversation between Spanish speaking people? A 'vice principle' that spelled principal wrong? And writes in English so poorly we have no idea what this is all even referring to or if it has anything at all to do with the OP subject?

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I am curious what this is. This appears in conversation between Spanish speaking people? A 'vice principle' that spelled principal wrong? And writes in English so poorly we have no idea what this is all even referring to or if it has anything at all to do with the OP subject?

From the schools Facebook page, there are people from many countries commenting. I just stumbled upon this comment. 

4 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

From the schools Facebook page, there are people from many countries commenting. I just stumbled upon this comment. 

On this I strongly suspect it was not written by the real vice principal. 

It is interesting how skeptics are very non-skeptical towards things that support their case but are impossibly skeptical to what they don't want to hear. 

• Like 2

Thank you for actually presenting a thoughtful and reasoned analysis instead of the extreme knee-jerk reaction common to many. Now my thoughts on your thoughts.

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I'd have to favour the "viral advertising" thing, as it seems just TOO much of a coincidence. 

Yes, that is a valid possibility to me too. However there is also evidence I presented earlier that odd activity claims long precedes this video. What precedes what? 

OK.... some thoughts. As another member has already pointed out; why would a CCTV camera record sound ? I know many of them are capable of this, but why would a school CCTV do this ? Wouldn't that be regarded as being somewhat intrusive ? 

It's 2017 and if this was intended to help investigate incidents, sound could be invaluable.

The article stated that the camera is a motion-triggered unit. That is entirely credible. We have a similar system at work. it is also credible that staff would have reviewed the video, because such systems usually trigger an alert when they detect motion. The school security people would notice the alert, and review the footage accordingly. But here's a thought.... what triggered the motion sensor in the first place ? there is about 10 seconds of motionless footage before the events begin. (starting with the door opening and slamming closed in the background). Why ? 

A prior incident not captured triggered it? We do not know how their system works unfortunately.

OK... fishing cable.. notoriously "invisible" in natural daylight. However, this camera seems to be producing its own light (probably infra-red). Many cameras do this; there is no such thing as a camera that can see in true darkness, so they have their own "torch" built in. I would expect fishing twine to show up in THAT. (as a reflective 'glisten'. Especially if it was used to violently rock the locker unit back and forth, implying that the twine would be violently stretching and relaxing). Yes, there is a window behind it... but it LOOKS like a fixed, internal pane of glass, not one that opens. 

There are some curious background noises... shuffling.. and then an odd "ticking" noise. 

Of course, if the video was subsequently edited, then all bets are off, as anomalies such as the twine could be "airbrushed" out. It would be a sophisticated and time-consuming bit of video manipulation, but entirely feasible with modern (and cheap) editing software, which a school may very well possess. What you would NOT normally be able to do is upload the manipulated video back into the original recording device. (they are manufactured to prevent this, as otherwise they would have limited credibility if used in a court of law). So the acid test would be to make the recording device available to an independent expert to review ALL of the footage from that night, in context with the footage from the other cameras. 

A lot of this would require wholesale lying by the principal I would think. Possible, of course, but it would involve frightening the children and parents too.

But there are a lot of these things going on in the world with cameras everywhere, and we will probably not ever hear of a further examination of the details on this case. So we have to leave it unsolved with our own personal opinions on likelihood. You think 'publicity stunt' is most likely and I went 80% paranormal/20% hoax. So be it.

16 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

papageorge did you not see this?

As far as the Facebook post, I didn't pay attention to the spelling. I did go to the schools website to see if there was a list of faculty but I was unable to find one. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

papageorge did you not see this?

Yes, I had seen that.

22 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

If you go back and check, the statement I was pointing out the oversight in was: Why are all the moving items either in the shadows or at a place where a hiding person can make the object move.  I was correct in pointing out an important oversight..

The sign is in the foreground if someone had a fishing line tied to it they  could have easily been   OOF  holding the other end  ie   a hiding person that could make the object move  -  simple .  You were not correct and there was no 'important oversighyt'.

Yes, I have heard of all those things and considered them possible. The action of the floor sign seemed pretty twisting and violent for a non-visible fishing line (but possible I guess).  Would you think a principal and staff would let a hoax get this far and scare the children and parents if they knew it was a hoax?

Certainly !   ;

21 hours ago, SecretSanta said:

Now I am sensible enough to say we can only talk in terms of possibilities. But somehow you present possibilities as the answer that it is not paranormal. That is not logical on your part.

No ... it is logical on my part , you are the one being illogical and overtly hopeful of 'paranormal '  ... but I shall leave that for the other posters to judge .

Edited by back to earth

18 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Of course   :) , we all realise    you think  this  , but the rest of us know   it does not .

• Like 1