Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trump talks of ‘calm before the storm’

Farmer77

Trump talks of ‘calm before the storm’ after military meeting 

President Donald Trump issued an unprompted, cryptic message Thursday after meeting with military officials at the White House, saying about the gathering, “Maybe it’s the calm before the storm.”

“We have the world’s great military leaders in this room,” Trump said to reporters after uttering his remark during a photo-op in the Cabinet Room of the White House.

Pressed on what he meant, the president said, “You’ll find out.”

Ok so just for fun, what do you guys think he's referring to here? 

Oh dear, I seriously hope North Korea isn't up to something. Awhile back Kimmy was bragging about setting off a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific.

Just to add, I don't think we'll bomb NK or Iran unless they do something first.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lilly said:

Oh dear, I seriously hope North Korea isn't up to something. Awhile back Kimmy was bragging about setting off a hydrogen bomb over the Pacific.

Just to add, I don't think we'll bomb NK or Iran unless they do something first.

I was reading yesterday that Columbus day is the day of a holiday of some sort in NK and that seems to be the next testing date for NK's nuke program. Perhaps thats it. 

I also had the thought after posting this thread that perhaps he was referring to an actual storm in Tropical Storm Nate? 

• Like 2

So after looking at it further i think its pretty clear that he wasnt referring to TS Nate 

Donald Trump is treating a potential war like a reality show cliffhanger 

• Like 1

How can anyone think this is acceptable behavior for the President of the United States?

• Like 5

On 10/6/2017 at 6:31 PM, Odin11 said:

How can anyone think this is acceptable behavior for the President of the United States?

Well if this is about North Korea, what's unacceptable about it? They should be told only so much will be tolerated. That if they blow up a WMD in international waters, that they will no longer exist. 

You should have been complaining about acceptable behavior back while we did everything in our power to make sure they got WMD's. 

Making statements like this with the populace uncertain as to what he is talking about makes him sound like the aggressor.  It also broadcasts a hostile intent to whoever it is he plans on using military force against.  So they know to get ready and can possibly inflict more casualties on US troops or even strike first.  He is reminding me more and more of Gabe the dog.

• Like 4

Unfortunately it comes across as if it is all a game - power play - without real consideration of the human element.

Almost as if those scripting the play will not in any tangible way be impacted by it. which of course they won't.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Well if this is about North Korea, what's unacceptable about it? They should be told only so much will be tolerated. That if they blow up a WMD in international waters, that they will no longer exist. 

You should have been complaining about acceptable behavior back while we did everything in our power to make sure they got WMD's. 

Because this makes him sound eager for violence. Or won’t be a day that will live in infamy, it’ll be a day long awaited, a day whose justification was waited for. A day where future generations will look back on in dispair, but one that your president behaves as if it was something he wanted. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lilly said:

And while everyone is all POed about Trump's language...this is what North Korea is likely up to (aside from the H-bombs): http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-biological-warfare-bioweapons-program-2017-7

So making the regime that has made it clear they want WMD's and will use WMD's to ensure their survival think we're going to attack through a series of cryptic statements and tweets is a good idea how? 

Trump is probably voicing all this more toward China...the fact that the US will take action if Kim does any of this horrific stuff. China needs to decide if they want to continue to prop up the Kim regime or deal with their guard dog becoming increasingly rabid.

6 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Trump is probably voicing all this more toward China

There are more diplomatic and presidential ways of this though.

• Like 2

Just now, RAyMO said:

There are more diplomatic and presidential ways of this though.

We're talking President Trump here. Besides, 'diplomatic and presidential ways' have been tried with North Korea for years and years. Hell, we've even tried bribery, still to no avail. Meanwhile, Kimmy now has ICBMs, the H-bomb, and most likely bio-chemical weapons of mass destruction.

• Like 2

Yes but your comment was that the rhetoric was aimed at china - hence my obervation that other more subtle ways could be employed. China is not the china of old - it is slowly embracing capitalism and is agressive embracing trading contacts across the world. They have been supporting and implementing UN sanctions against NK. Perhaps if the US was to say "look here you go in and take control - we the US will shout about it for a couple of weeks but nothing to loud. and in the end we will all be happy".

• Like 2

At this point we don't even know who it is related to.  It could be directed at Russia or a prelude to martial law for all we know.  North Korea or Iran are the more logical targets.  But the mere fact that we have to wonder makes you question the need for Trump's statements.

• Like 1

He's threatening military action, and it's pretty clear that it's by design. 

He wants a war, and no...of course he's not going to suffer any consequences of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChaosRose said:

He's threatening military action, and it's pretty clear that it's by design. 

He wants a war, and no...of course he's not going to suffer any consequences of it. 

It is pretty tacky to basically announce that our soldiers lives would be "in a storm" and then asked why say, "You'll see later."

My nephew's family would probably like to know if their husband/father's life is going to be imperiled and why.  Stressing them out for no reason is really going to help the military suicide problem.  (Six suicides at Fort Riley, where my nephew is stationed at, in the last two months!)

• Like 2

I could get into what I really think the end game is, but it's just too depressing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Yes but your comment was that the rhetoric was aimed at china -

I'd say it's aimed at both China and NK. And, proper diplomacy has also been employed toward China. IMO, the NK commentary is basically a round about way to let China know we will not tolerate such behavior from their satellite regime.

Also, the nation that wants a war is NK not the USA. Kimmy wants to get his hands on SK (among other things) and he doesn't care who has to die to achieve this goal. What the USA wants is to not be held hostage by NK and quite possibly nuked if we refuse to capitulate to them.

1 hour ago, kartikg said:

Any hint that he might pull out of Afghanistan entirely or Iraq? 

He won't.  We actually sent more troops to Afghanistan recently.

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I'd say it's aimed at both China and NK. And, proper diplomacy has also been employed toward China. IMO, the NK commentary is basically a round about way to let China know we will not tolerate such behavior from their satellite regime.

Also, the nation that wants a war is NK not the USA. Kimmy wants to get his hands on SK (among other things) and he doesn't care who has to die to achieve this goal. What the USA wants is to not be held hostage by NK and quite possibly nuked if we refuse to capitulate to them.

You have a source for this?   All the reports I have read seem to indicate that he is more concerned about saving his own hide more than anything else.  He seems to think that having nukes is the only reason why he hasn't gone the way of Saddam or Ghaddafi.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2017 at 5:22 AM, Farmer77 said:

Ok so just for fun, what do you guys think he's referring to here? 

Farmer, it is the president's pattern.  He may not be experienced at being presidential, but he is a marketing genius and a reality show master.  He is trying to get us to stay tuned for the next episode.  He lives on ratings.  It may not be a blockbuster, it may fall flat, but he kept us tuned in to watch.  I think that is all he cares about, personal attention.  Poor man must have had a very difficult childhood.

On the serious side, he has contradicted or overridden  his Secretary of State, his Secretary of Defense, and his Chief of Staff. 

He has an experienced commander and warrior leading the military.  I know from friends who served with him, you would not choose to oppose Gen.  Mattis on the battlefield.  Yet as President Trump said during the campaign, he thinks he knows more than his generals.

He has an experienced diplomat leading relations with North Korea.  Rex Tillerson was CEO of a company that is really and truly 100 times as big as Trump enterprises.  He knows how to work with a team, how to delegate, and how to get things done.  He is not a pushover or a simpleton.  He has dealt with many individuals as powerful and probably as single minded as Kim.  His hard talk stays behind closed doors where it actually does some good.  Yet President Trump is publicly telling Sec. Tillerson "You can't talk to North Korea."

Same with Iran, both Tillerson and Mattis say we should stay in the agreement if Iran is living up to their half. 

No denying there are some risky and stupid behaviors by those regimes, but there are some better ways to deal with them than pretending we are in a reality TV show.

This is not so much about North Korea or Iran as much as President Trump's obsession with obliterating Obama and everything he did.  That is not the bast basis for decisions about the future of America. 

• Like 5