Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Knowing someone is dead before being told...

darkangel8629

I was wonder how people can get a phone call and before they answer it, they already know someone is dead and who it is? This puzzles me because someone could see a missed phone call and know. In my case, I walked into my house on break from work and the phone called. It was my grandmother and I looked at my husband and said, "Alan is dead." I was right. Does anyone know anything about this?

• Like 2

My mother had a story about her Grandmother dying. While walking home from school she imagined that when she got home her Mother told her, her Grandmother had died, and she imagined she laughed at the news.

She loved her Grandmother and couldn't reconcile the idea of laughing at that news, but when she got home, her Mum did indeed break the news about her Grandmother. She said the experience was so bizzarre, she actually let out an unexpected laugh.

• Like 2

Just remember that human nature is very *very* complex, and that our brains are always eager to fix up our memories, as well as constantly running our subconscious calendar for us..

F'rinstance - I and my family and friends have a 'schedule' for calling frequency - I don't mean a particular day and time, but after a certain time (varies on the person) I'll expect a call or vice versa, which is why you get that "I was just thinking of you!" moment...

If a call comes earlier than subconsciously expected... that generally means an event.  We'll sometimes think the worst, and then in the relief we feel when we find it wasn't the worst, we immediately forget we even thought it..

Your brain is also constantly massaging your memories, so as the days pass by, it will become exaggerated.  Our brains like cool stories!

Bear in mind that's just a starting point - there could be a myriad of other clues, and without knowing every aspect of your life and the circumstances surrounding that happening, it's impossible to try to come to a conclusion, or say that it is 'something more'.  Indeed, if it was, you'd have to ask why your brain doesn't pick up on the 'event' far enough before it happens so that you can do (or try to do) something about it..? 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, darkangel8629 said:

I was wonder how people can get a phone call and before they answer it, they already know someone is dead and who it is? This puzzles me because someone could see a missed phone call and know. In my case, I walked into my house on break from work and the phone called. It was my grandmother and I looked at my husband and said, "Alan is dead." I was right. Does anyone know anything about this?

I don't know how it really works. If someone who's been close to me,dies and I'm lucid dreaming in the land of the dead realm, I can see new people there before I know in real life.

@darkangel8629

I think these premonitions really happen. The strongest cases of this are with identical twins; knowing of events or injuries at a distance. Ultimately, we are all interconnected above the physical level and some are more sensitive to these things than others.

Now, on the non-paranormal side, when our premonitions and fleeting thoughts and are not confirmed it doesn't stick with us. Only the 'hits' stick strongly.

That said, I do believe some cases are truly paranormal. 

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I had something like this happen. Back when me and my wife were still dating, one night we were both dead asleep. Suddenly I hear what sounds like someone yell my name. Startled I sat right up in bed. I sat up so quick it woke my soon to be wife up. She asks if something’s wrong. Now this is strange. I told her someone had just died. 

I have no idea how I knew it, but I did. With all my soul I did. 

Next day my sister calls me telling me a really good friend of ours that lived up state had killed him self in the middle of the night. 

When it happened I couldn’t tell you who, or where, but I knew someone close to me had died. That was the first and last time that this has happened to me.

• 1 year later...

When I was a kid, one saturday morning while my mom was at the grocery store the phone rang and it was my uncle.  He asked to talk to my dad so I gave him the phone thinking something was very wrong.  My mom came home while he was hanging up the phone and as soon as he started telling my mom that her mother was in a car accident, I knew my grandmother was dead.  Maybe it was how sad my dad and my uncle sounded, but I knew before he said it.

Years later when I was in the army I woke up from a dream that my mother was philosophizing about death.  I called her immediately and asked "Who died."  She was taken aback a bit but told me both my great grandmother and her aunt had died in the last two days. 

I think on some level we are all connected (skeptics don't bother) and we do pick up information that cannot be explained using just physical parameters.

• Like 1

I think I have posted this story  before. My dad, when someone in  the family would die, would have this dream  with a beautiful woman's voice singing. When ever he had this, someone had passed on.The ONLY time he didn't have the dream, was when my mother died. My mom had a stroke and was bed ridden. She apparently had another one in her sleep.  And she was paralyzed on one side. Well my dad told us kids, he had a dream with momma in it. And  in the dream he  saw her walking. He said'Emma, your walking"!! to which she replied,"Yes Fred I'm better". Daddy said that they walked together in a beautiful garden and there were people there. They talked to them, and some of them he recognized.I firmly believe  he got to see  her well and happy and in heaven. His mother would dream of a room, with a vase of flowers on the table, when someone would die. Grandma's Aunt Louise, who was a psychic, would dream she was back  in Riga, in the old country walking down the street. As she walked, she would see this horse drawn hearse coming done the street, it was those old fashion kind  with the glass sides. In it would be a coffin. She didn't see  any body  laying in the coffin, just the closed casket. Apparently her sister, my great grandmother would also have such a dream, but it invovled a choir signing. In our case it ran in the family.

• Like 3

This forum is called Unexplained Mysteries for a reason.

• Like 2