Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

No murder charge for SLC cop who shot cyclist

ExpandMyMind

In Utah, hundreds of protesters gathered outside Salt Lake City police headquarters Sunday, demanding murder charges be brought against a white police officer caught on film shooting 50-year-old African American Patrick Harmon as he ran from police. Salt Lake County’s district attorney has cleared officer Clinton Fox of any wrongdoing in the case, even though newly released police bodycam video clearly shows the officer shooting Harmon three times in the back.

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/10/9/headlines/utah_no_murder_charge_for_slc_cop_who_shot_black_cyclist_in_the_back

Another unarmed black man killed by the police. I have no idea how the cop wasn't prosecuted for this. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

https://www.democracynow.org/2017/10/9/headlines/utah_no_murder_charge_for_slc_cop_who_shot_black_cyclist_in_the_back

Another unarmed black man killed by the police. I have no idea how the cop wasn't prosecuted for this. 

21st century police state America ...obey or die. 

Our police definitely seem to have taken a cue from the soviet secret police tactics

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to No murder charge for SLC cop who shot cyclist

The guy had outstanding arrest warrants for aggrevated assault and failure to turn up for sentencing. He was a fugitive from the law.

However, I'm utterly baffled that the policeman wasn't disciplined, or even charged with murder.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

The guy had outstanding arrest warrants for aggrevated assault and failure to turn up for sentencing. He was a fugitive from the law.

However, I'm utterly baffled that the policeman wasn't disciplined, or even charged with murder.

Under current US law a police officer is allowed to use lethal force to stop a fleeing felon when they believe escape of the felon would pose a significant threat of serious bodily harm or death to the public.  The Tennessee vs Garner ruling in 1985 confirmed that with the condition of probable cause that the felon is a risk of serious bodily harm or death to the public or officer.  Given the criminal record of the man shot it wouldnt be too difficult to argue that he was a threat of serious bodily harm to the public.

I'm not saying if this particular shooting was justified or not as I know basically nothing on this case.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DarkHunter said:

Under current US law a police officer is allowed to use lethal force to stop a fleeing felon when they believe escape of the felon would pose a significant threat of serious bodily harm or death to the public.  The Tennessee vs Garner ruling in 1985 confirmed that with the condition of probable cause that the felon is a risk of serious bodily harm or death to the public or officer.  Given the criminal record of the man shot it wouldnt be too difficult to argue that he was a threat of serious bodily harm to the public.

I'm not saying if this particular shooting was justified or not as I know basically nothing on this case.

Excellent post. I had never head of the Tenn vs. Garner ruling before...it's something to consider in the future as this will inevitably happen again. 

• Like 1

the rule talks about felons, they do not know who is a felon, before they id the suspect,  unless by felon they mean everyone.  basically proves what we knew already, cops consider everyone a criminal, 

• Like 2

Just now, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Just further comfirmation that there is still racism in this country.

yea, in your mind for sure. this incident as much as hundreds before, shows different kind of problem, a lot worst than your imaginary racism

Edited by aztek

25 minutes ago, 3rdeyemansa24 said:

Just further comfirmation that there is still racism in this country.

It's not racism, it's class-ism. We are part of the criminal class.

1 hour ago, aztek said:

the rule talks about felons, they do not know who is a felon, before they id the suspect,  unless by felon they mean everyone.  basically proves what we knew already, cops consider everyone a criminal, 

Cops shoot plenty of people of all colors.

7 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

It's not racism, it's class-ism. We are part of the criminal class.

Cops shoot plenty of people of all colors.

It's completely racism. There is a massive disparity between white and black people killed by cops - targeted by cops in the first place - while roughly the same percentage commit crime. Racism (and institutional racism) is still a very large problem in the US, no matter how far you stick your head in the sand.

• Like 3

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

It's completely racism. There is a massive disparity between white and black people killed by cops - targeted by cops in the first place - while roughly the same percentage commit crime. Racism (and institutional racism) is still a very large problem in the US, no matter how far you stick your head in the sand.

You're exactly right, black people face a much higher percentage chance of facing violence from law enforcement than white people do . 

We however do also have a problem with overreaching police tyranny and the prison industrial complex which affects folks of all colors. 

Just now, ExpandMyMind said:

and for 1000's time you keep ignoring disparity between crimes committed by blacks and whites, and keep singing your imaginary racism song,.

The real problem here may very well be poverty verses simply race. The police tend to kill those (of all races) at the lower end of the socioeconomic scale.

And, as far as the shooting of the man on the bike, this one really stinks IMO. How such an act could be justified puzzles the heck out of me. I have a feeling this incident will be brought up again.

• Like 1

Patrick Harmon had been pulled over by officers for not having a light on his bicycle. After the shooting, the District Attorney’s Office claimed that Harmon said, “I’ll cut you,” and turned to threaten officers with a knife. The claim is directly contradicted by the bodycam video.

Was this guy even ID'd before or after he killed him?

And D.A has final say on whether or not to pursue charges against an Officer, in probably every precinct in the country.

You know, a crooked cop and D.A could commit murder, and get away with it. They both hate someone, cop pulls him over, claims (insert excuse here) and shoots them. D.A clears cop. Murder free and clear.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, South Alabam said:

Patrick Harmon had been pulled over by officers for not having a light on his bicycle. After the shooting, the District Attorney’s Office claimed that Harmon said, “I’ll cut you,” and turned to threaten officers with a knife. The claim is directly contradicted by the bodycam video.

Was this guy even ID'd before or after he killed him?

And D.A has final say on whether or not to pursue charges against an Officer, in probably every precinct in the country.

You know, a crooked cop and D.A could commit murder, and get away with it. They both hate someone, cop pulls him over, claims (insert excuse here) and shoots them. D.A clears cop. Murder free and clear.

Really makes you wonder how many times that has actually happened.  Scary 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It's completely racism. There is a massive disparity between white and black people killed by cops - targeted by cops in the first place

...according to WHO?

NatReview

This narrative is false. In reality, a randomly selected black man is overwhelmingly unlikely to be victim of police violence — and though white men experience such violence even less often, the disparity is consistent with the racial gap in violent crime, suggesting that the role of racial bias is small. 

Racism (and institutional racism) is still a very large problem in the US, no matter how far you stick your head in the sand.

If you can't prove, I can't buy it. "Institutionalized racism" is a fantasy made up by black career criminals and white guilt kids to explain statistics they have never bothered looking in to. As for racism being a big problem in America, what country are you using for comparison? Polling shows minorities are experiencing historically low records of racism today so why are you trying to perpetuate these myths? Are you trying to keep racism alive?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

...according to WHO?

NatReview

If you can't prove, I can't buy it. "Institutionalized racism" is a fantasy made up by black career criminals and white guilt kids to explain statistics they have never bothered looking in to. As for racism being a big problem in America, what country are you using for comparison? Polling shows minorities are experiencing historically low records of racism today so why are you trying to perpetuate these myths? Are you trying to keep racism alive?

Young black men again faced highest rate of US police killings in 2016 

Black males aged 15-34 were nine times more likely than other Americans to be killed by law enforcement officers last year, according to data collected for The Counted, an effort by the Guardian to record every such death. They were also killed at four times the rate of young white men.

Black and Latino drivers are searched based on less evidence and are more likely to be arrested, Stanford researchers find 

Stanford University researchers said Monday they have found evidence that black and Latino drivers face a double standard and that police require far less suspicion to search them than their white counterparts.

Police more likely to use force on blacks than whites, study shows 

A think tank study of thousands of incidents where law enforcement interactions turned forceful concluded blacks are much more likely to be involved than other groups. The Center for Policing Equity report, released Friday, found the average rate of using force among blacks to be 3.6 times as high as among whites, and 2.5 times as high as the overall rate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

...according to WHO?

NatReview

I already have in the past. I provided loads of studies that show the incredible disparity. You disappeared after though without a comment, so I'll not bother wasting my time on this occasion.

• Like 2

again silence on disproportionate  rate of crimes by blacks.

https://infogram.com/us-crime-in-black-and-white-1gzxop49q0okmwy\

It seems apparent that aggression/violence are found far more tolerable within the black population than in the any other population. In order to solve the problem, it must become intolerable... and any effective solution, no doubt, must come from within the black community itself. The prisons are full and it's not stopping anything.

police-violence-against-black-men-rare-heres-what-data-actually-say.
Why Black Lives Matter doesn't focus on ‘black-on-black’ crime

5 hours ago, South Alabam said:

The Police investigated themselves. They are never wrong.

And we would all be so much safer if the Cops were the only people that had any guns.

They are clearly the only ones responsible enough to use them on a daily basis... :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

From the link:

The Counted found that a plurality of killings by police in 2016 began with attempted traffic or street stops by officers. Almost 29% of deadly incidents last year developed from police trying to pull over a vehicle or approaching someone in public, including some potential suspects for crimes.

Another one in five killings by police last year started with calls reporting domestic violence or some other domestic disturbance. Data analyzed by the justice department shows that domestic calls are the deadliest for police officers.

What is the rate of black suspects refusing to stop for Police? What is the number of Officers killed while approaching a black driver? There is 0 context here - this is what Aztek keeps alluding to.

26 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Again, context with regards to rate of crimes committed? From the article:

After being stopped, black and Latino drivers are ticketed, searched and arrested more often than whites. For example, when pulled over for speeding, black drivers are 20% more likely than whites and Latino drivers 30% more likely than whites to be ticketed. Black and Latino drivers are about twice as likely to be searched compared with whites.
[...]
But researchers noted such disparities alone do not automatically indicate racial bias, but rather could reflect differences in driving behavior and other factors.

How many of those tickets are justified? I am willing to bet a lot of them.

33 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Overall, police officers employed force in less than 2% of all interactions, the team estimated.

....for the sake of this discussion, I'll pretend I didn't see that line in there.

So context? What is the rate of blacks resisting arrest or running from Police?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

30 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I already have in the past. I provided loads of studies that show the incredible disparity.

Nah, you provided studies that, like Farmer's links above, show a disparity in how Cops treat minorities with no context for the number or severity of crimes committed when compared to other races.

Do you know why they never include the crime stats? Cause the racial angle falls apart. The only disparity that matters here is the big one between black and white murder rates. That changes how ALL of these studies are perceived.

You disappeared after though without a comment, so I'll not bother wasting my time on this occasion.

Yeah, I was eating lunch. Now you can bother.

19 minutes ago, aztek said:

again silence on disproportionate  rate of crimes by blacks.

https://infogram.com/us-crime-in-black-and-white-1gzxop49q0okmwy\

It seems apparent that aggression/violence are found far more tolerable within the black population than in the any other population. In order to solve the problem, it must become intolerable... and any effective solution, no doubt, must come from within the black community itself. The prisons are full and it's not stopping anything.

police-violence-against-black-men-rare-heres-what-data-actually-say.
Why Black Lives Matter doesn't focus on ‘black-on-black’ crime

You posted on this a few times and, just like in the "systemic racism" studies, no one is talking about it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dark_Grey said:

So context? What is the rate of blacks resisting arrest or running from Police?

In my opinion thats the worst part of this whole situation. 

The system is so wholly flawed that its just about impossible to tell what the actual rates are due to corruption.