Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Native American (Egg Stone?)

jamesjr191

I found this stone years ago in Abbeville southern Alabama while arrowhead hunting. resembles a goose egg in shape and size and has a drilled hole in the center top. museum folks had suggestions but no answers as to what it really was for, any ideas? pics show a side view and a view of hole in tops center. i hope this link from my facebook page show up and works. thanks!               https://www.facebook.com/james.stepp/media_set?set=a.10201275508305194.1073741827.1096724398&type=3

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kenemet said:

I suspect it's not Native American but it is European-American and fairly old.  Decoration, perhaps, or a weightstone?

Hi Kenemet, why do you suspect it is European?  Just curious what you have seen.   I have seen stone mace heads with a hole all the way through, doubt this is one, seems too small to be an unfinished start.  Unrelated but any thoughts on Maya influence around Gulf Coast of North America?  Thanks.

All i can add is we found only native type things, stone implements, decorated pottery. nothing else that seemed out of place or time. the portion of pipe was found near my home here in catawba county NC USA.

I don't have a facebook, so it will not let me look at the pics. :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I don't have a facebook, so it will not let me look at the pics. :(

let me look into how to deal with that problem. I should be able to post them to a photo site and provide a link.

eggstone_side_zps044dxwlr.jpgeggstone_top_zpsu1u4qfhx.jpg

Edited by jamesjr191

15 hours ago, jamesjr191 said:

let me look into how to deal with that problem. I should be able to post them to a photo site and provide a link.

I'm seeing this....

Photobucket says something going on with your account.

Capture.JPG

Edited by DieChecker

14 hours ago, Hanslune said:

I thought of that too, but I wasn't sure if those were a real thing, or if it was something I picked up playing D&D all those years ago.

On 10/12/2017 at 11:08 AM, Hanslune said:

How unusual, ive never seen anything like that before. its possible i have one not yet finished. Thanks for the info!

20 hours ago, Oniomancer said:

Also consistent with the ball type of bannerstone.

http://www.relicshack.com/Details?Id=14876

OP's pictures were visible earlier, now they're not. Photobucket gone over to a paysite now so must be it didn't take affect until they were linked.

Thats the story in a nutshell........they decided i was 3rd party listing the item for resale and wanted to charge me. screw em, i'll look elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piney said:

If I could see it I could i.d. it. 

my facebook link is on first post, or if you'd like to send me an email i'll send it there.

On 10/15/2017 at 8:08 PM, jamesjr191 said:

my facebook link is on first post, or if you'd like to send me an email i'll send it there.

I will, I don't do socialpathic media so I can't see your page.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gingitsune said:

I got the pictures for you, Piney. ^_~

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: food

I looked at it via email. It looks like a club head for one of those free swinging skull crackers or a bolo stone. If it was pecked into shape it is old. If it was ground into shape it's recent and made after contact. If there was a effort to drill it all the way through it would have had a small tit in the middle of the hole because they would of used sand and a reed so I'm thinking the hole was for the rawhide knot. It's too smooth to be a pitted muller for grinding. They were purposely rubbed with sandstone to keep them course

Bolos were only used during the Archaic by the Piedmont Culture, but they could be found from Florida to New Jersey and out as far as the Mississippi River. 

• Like 3