Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
ExpandMyMind

Trump threatens to abandon Puerto Rico

76 posts in this topic

Quote

President Trump served notice Thursday that he may pull back federal relief workers from Puerto Rico, effectively threatening to abandon the U.S. territory amid a staggering humanitarian crisis in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria.

Declaring the U.S. territory's electrical grid and infrastructure to have been a “disaster before hurricanes,” Trump wrote Thursday that it will be up to Congress how much federal money to appropriate to the island for its recovery efforts and that relief workers will not stay “forever.”

Three weeks after Maria made landfall, much of Puerto Rico, an island of 3.4 million people, remains without power. Residents struggle to find clean water, hospitals are running short on medicine, and commerce is slow, with many businesses closed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/10/12/trump-warns-puerto-rico-we-cannot-keep-fema-the-military-the-first-responders-forever/?tid=a_breakingnews&hpid=hp_no-name_no-name%3Apage%2Fbreaking-news-bar

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did someone say something to offend him ?.....I guess somebody like Mr Trump who has never had to work a hard day in his life, by getting real dirt under his finger nails, or has never had to face such trying adversity's would never truly understand at heart.

Kick em! while their down. That's what bullies do best.....poor insecure b****** with power. What a shame.

Edited by Astra.
6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear he plans to bomb them, invade and make recordings of the lamentations of their women as he drives the defeated before him, as well.  A golden war-chariot and a laurel wreath in his weird hair would complete the picture :w00t:

 P.R.s population is 3.4 million, they owe SEVENTY BILLION DOLLARS.  I suppose the Left would like to see a generous Federal government simply erase that debt, rebuild the entire, aging infrastructure and give a blank check to the people to restart their businesses and rebuild their homes.  Once that precedent is set, how long do you suppose it would be before the other Democrat-destroyed cities like Detroit, Chicago, and Oakland all come knocking on Congress' door for the same treatment?   How does a government that is 20 TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT manage to do this?

Puerto Ricans are not going to be abandoned to die from starvation and the elements.  He's just laying a marker that they aren't going to use this disaster to clear the books and receive billions in free aid unless they make a plan to clean up their system of doing things down there.

Edited by and then
5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well... at least you're not bitter about it...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since the Legislative branch controls the purse-strings, he's kicked the ball into their court to pony up to the bar and appropriate the funds to finance reconstruction. That's what it's going to take; a bill to finance a major reconstruction project. It's time for Congress to stop crying about what needs to be done and start doing something, themselves.

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The United States is currently 20 Trillion in debt. I think that fact pretty much explains the problem.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, and then said:

I hear he plans to bomb them, invade and make recordings of the lamentations of their women as he drives the defeated before him, as well.  A golden war-chariot and a laurel wreath in his weird hair would complete the picture :w00t:

And I'm sure Mr Trump pictures that....especially about the golden chariot and the laurel wreath in his sexy 'cough' hair. Very Trump indeed.

Quote

 How is a government that is 20 TRILLION DOLLARS IN DEBT manage to do this?

I dunno, let every other ass h*** puerto rico American rot ?.....I thought they were US territory too ?  

Edited by Astra.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Since Americans think nothing of spending well over a fifty billion dollars a year on pet food and care, it shouldn't be that much of a problem for them to help fellow Americans survive and recover from a natural disaster.

Lets not forget what they owe to China.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Astra. said:

Lets not forget what they owe to China.

Oh, let's do. We could tariff that away, any time we choose--and they know it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Oh, let's do. We could tariff that away, any time we choose--and they know it.

I'm sure you may be right. But from what Iv'e heard (and I'm terrible with numbers) so don't take it as gospel. But the US owes China more than $1 trillion+ and could send America’s economy into a tailspin by sanctioning a dumping of US Treasury bonds. Maybe that's why Mr Trump is trying to avoid all costs that may be impaling through natural disasters to others. I'm sure we all know what it's like to have to keep the purse strings under wraps, so to speak. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Astra. said:

I'm sure you may be right. But from what Iv'e heard (and I'm terrible with numbers) so don't take it as gospel. But the US owes China more than $1 trillion+ and could send America’s economy into a tailspin by sanctioning a dumping of US Treasury bonds. Maybe that's why Mr Trump is trying to avoid all costs that may be impaling through natural disasters to others. I'm sure we all know what it's like to have to keep the purse strings under wraps, so to speak. 

And what would it do to the Chinese economy to lose it's largest export market? No, this intermeshing of economies is what facilitates the peace between the two countries. 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

And what would it do to the Chinese economy to lose it's largest export market? No, this intermeshing of economies is what facilitates the peace between the two countries. 

Hmm, interesting to say the least. So when is the wall suppose to be built. I would imagine that this endeavour will also be rather costly...will the tax payers have to fund this promise ?....sorry just viewing things from a non-partison point of view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Astra. said:

Hmm, interesting to say the least. So when is the wall suppose to be built. I would imagine that this endeavour will also be rather costly...will the tax payers have to fund this promise ?....sorry just viewing things from a non-partison point of view. 

The Wall is a chimera, much like Reagan's Star Wars defense. A physical wall is well nigh unattainable. Other steps, as well, will be taken, short of a complete physical barrier. Even if one was built, all it would do is push the problem out to sea, such as that which plagues Australia with "undesirables".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Since Americans think nothing of spending well over a fifty billion dollars a year on pet food and care, it shouldn't be that much of a problem for them to help fellow Americans survive and recover from a natural disaster.

Cut foreign aid to nations that hate us would be a start as well.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

The Wall is a chimera, much like Reagan's Star Wars defense. A physical wall is well nigh unattainable

Sort of reminds me of the wall in Game of Thrones. Any wall can be taken down and destroyed in the long run.

3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Other steps, as well, will be taken, short of a complete physical barrier. Even if one was built, all it would do is push the problem out to sea, such as that which plagues Australia with "undesirables".

Australia does their best, without any walls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WoIverine said:

Cut foreign aid to nations that hate us would be a start as well.

And what nations are those? How about a Puerto Rico recovery tax on pet food?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

And what nations are those? How about a Puerto Rico recovery tax on pet food?

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Astra. said:

Sort of reminds me of the wall in Game of Thrones. Any wall can be taken down and destroyed in the long run.

Australia does their best, without any walls.

Of course you do, you're an Island Continent. Like Britain, your walls are ocean and ships. We are a continental country. You could walk from Tierra Del Fuego to Nome, Alaska if you chose to.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WoIverine said:

 

 

I'm not watching that clown. You answer the question; what countries that hate us do we give foreign aid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

I'm not watching that clown. You answer the question; what countries that hate us do we give foreign aid?

I'm not going to sit here and run down a list of the countries and ridiculous projects our foreign funding goes to, when you could easily click the play button and see for yourself.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WoIverine said:

I'm not going to sit here and run down a list of the countries and ridiculous projects our foreign funding goes to, when you could easily click the play button and see for yourself.

No, you made the statement, in your own words. Now back them up, or back off. Is it too much to ask you show you know what you're talking about, not just quoting rhetoric?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hammerclaw said:

No, you made the statement, in your own words. Now back them up, or back off. Is it too much to ask you show you know what you're talking about, not just quoting rhetoric?

Nope. Why should I cater to you, when you obviously won't cater to me? If you prefer to leave your head stuck in the sand about a handful of excellent points Senator Paul makes, then that's on you.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WoIverine said:

Nope. Why should I cater to you, when you obviously won't cater to me? If you prefer to leave your head stuck in the sand about a handful of excellent points Senator Paul makes, then that's on you.

Then your response brooks no debate, since you disavow responsibility for your own words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head I can think of a few countries that don't really like the United States all that much but we still give them 'foreign aid'. Pakistan and Egypt are the top two contenders.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.