Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Male cannibal chimp snatched newborn chimp

Still Waters

A rare sighting of a chimpanzee giving birth in the wild came to a grisly conclusion. Within seconds of the birth, the baby was snatched away and eaten by a male of the same group. The observation explains why female chimpanzees tend to go into hiding for weeks or months when they have their babies.

Little is known about how chimpanzees give birth in the wild because only five births have ever been observed, says Hitonaru Nishie of Kyoto University in Japan. Nishie and his colleagues have been studying chimpanzees in Tanzania’s Mahale mountains for the last few years.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2150258-male-chimpanzee-seen-snatching-seconds-old-chimp-and-eating-it/

• Like 1

Many species of monkeys actually kidnap babies there are so many videos on youtube about it. I do not know really it seems those animals are also prone to mental problems lol

Not in this case tho, since it's male who kill babies which is not so rare in nature among other species of animals too ( as stated in article ).

For example with those silver leaf monkeys in Indonesia, when other monkey steal baby it start to kick it, ( link, kinda disgusting i warn you ) take it's arm or leg and run with it. Usually mother of that stolen baby is following but can't help it ( especially true for older and weaker monkey moms who get attacked by younger and more powerful ones ).

It's brutal really. Whats maybe worse, the people who record those videos and speak '' oh no little baby monkey hit his head '' but do nothing to try and help. 

At first i was wondering how is it possible that smart animals ( they steal your phone and give it back if you give them some tasty meal for it ) do things like that but then you remember what horrors people are cappable of doing and realize that it's just life and the way it is.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, Sir Smoke aLot said:

Many species of monkeys actually kidnap babies there are so many videos on youtube about it. I do not know really it seems those animals are also prone to mental problems lol

Not in this case tho, since it's male who kill babies which is not so rare in nature among other species of animals too ( as stated in article ).

For example with those silver leaf monkeys in Indonesia, when other monkey steal baby it start to kick it, ( link, kinda disgusting i warn you ) take it's arm or leg and run with it. Usually mother of that stolen baby is following but can't help it ( especially true for older and weaker monkey moms who get attacked by younger and more powerful ones ).

It's brutal really. Whats maybe worse, the people who record those videos and speak '' oh no little baby monkey hit his head '' but do nothing to try and help. 

At first i was wondering how is it possible that smart animals ( they steal your phone and give it back if you give them some tasty meal for it ) do things like that but then you remember what horrors people are cappable of doing and realize that it's just life and the way it is.

Infanticide is actually well reported an many group-living animals. Its especially prevenient among males, usually to bring the females into heat (Females won't mate while they are nursing their young). Lions, and rarely Gorillas, will practice infanticide when they have taken over a new pride/harem. This is to bring all the females into heat and will make sure only the new male's offspring are raised. As for cannibalism, it is occasionally practiced by Chimpanzees, usually by males onto young Chimps. But we must remember that such actions are not "evil", nature does not exist to appease Human sensibilities, and does not function by Human morality.  

On 10/18/2017 at 10:02 PM, AustinHinton said:

Infanticide is actually well reported an many group-living animals. Its especially prevenient among males, usually to bring the females into heat (Females won't mate while they are nursing their young). Lions, and rarely Gorillas, will practice infanticide when they have taken over a new pride/harem. This is to bring all the females into heat and will make sure only the new male's offspring are raised. As for cannibalism, it is occasionally practiced by Chimpanzees, usually by males onto young Chimps. But we must remember that such actions are not "evil", nature does not exist to appease Human sensibilities, and does not function by Human morality.  

It seems from those videos that kidnapping is done for fun as females do it mostly ( as with these small monkeys ) to older females. Thanks for explanation i do not know about it.

As for morality we ( humans ) might have no credibility to talk about it at all lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Smoke aLot said:

It seems from those videos that kidnapping is done for fun as females do it mostly ( as with these small monkeys ) to older females. Thanks for explanation i do not know about it.

As for morality we ( humans ) might have no credibility to talk about it at all lol

Female Chimps have actually been known to carry around dead monkeys as “surrogate babies”. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

Female Chimps have actually been known to carry around dead monkeys as “surrogate babies”. 

That's sad but explains it indeed.

• Like 1