Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sheriff upset at loss of free labor

Farmer77

Our criminal justice system is severely broken, the prison industrial complex is truly out of control and I think this sheriff's statements are a great glimpse into the mindset which dominates the industry.  

Louisiana Sheriff Horrifyingly Explains Why 'Good' Prisoners Should Stay in Jail

“The [prisoners] that you can work, the ones that can pick up trash, the work release programs — but guess what? Those are the ones that they’re releasing!” the sheriff states, apparently oblivious to the truth he’s speaking. “In addition to the bad ones…they’re releasing some good ones that we use every day to wash cars, to change the oil in our cars, to cook in the kitchen, to do all that where we save money. Well, they’re going to let them out!”

According to a recent Huffington Post analysis, Louisiana is the most carceral state. The United States imprisons more of its citizens than any other country—by both percentage and raw numbers—and thus, Louisiana leads some countries in its incarceration rate. “Compare Louisiana’s rate of 816 people per 100,000 with Russia’s 492, China with 119, France with 100, and Germany with 78,” the Huffington Post notes. There are more than 2.2 million people filling cells across America, which is home to 5 percent of the world’s population but 25 percent of its prisoners.

• Like 4

Wow, even after reading the article and watching the video twice I still kind of can't believe he said that. SMH. For folks that would like additional context or hear what he said before and after that, here's the full video- he makes the comments in the OP at about the 20 minute mark.

• Like 4

yep, it is just pi$$ in a sea.  prison cartel that they call a justice system, is broken beyond repair, and filled with people who have no business being there, no different than  a gang\mob.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aztek said:

yep, it is just pi$$ in a sea.  prison cartel that they call a justice system, is broken beyond repair, and filled with people who have no business being there, no different than  a gang\mob.

If pot was Federally legal, imagine the loss of "free labor" in the prison system. Most of them would close due to lack of occupancy.

• Like 5

yep, cancel war on drugs, and you can disband few agencies, cut off civil forfeiture program, and cut the rest  of the agencies in half. put a stop of bench trials for cops,  (jury trial only) and i have little doubts 1\4 of the force quits overnight

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

On 14/10/2017 at 0:47 PM, Farmer77 said:

In addition to the bad ones…they’re releasing some good ones that we use every day to wash cars, to change the oil in our cars, to cook in the kitchen, to do all that where we save money. Well, they’re going to let them out!

What an insight!

Does this guy have any role to play in parole judgements? I hope Not.

• Like 2

On 14/10/2017 at 0:47 PM, Farmer77 said:

America, which is home to 5 percent of the world’s population but 25 percent of its prisoners

Fascinating - seems like a whole new debate.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 1:33 PM, aztek said:

I was in a for profit prison. The admin could do what they wanted. They even had a private security force who could override the guards authority and because they wore masks and didn't have name tags they couldn't be identified. I took a 12 gauge beanbag from one of those cocksuckers just for being awake during a shakedown raid.

1 minute ago, South Alabam said:

"I don't want them released." It's his job to follow the laws, not "what he wants."

I don't think his message was to us.  It was to the people that write the laws.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gromdor said:

I don't think his message was to us.  It was to the people that write the laws.

Probably. His attitude is disturbing though. Keep people imprisoned for labor. The less people he has imprisoned, the less labor he needs.