Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery large cat sighting divides experts

Still Waters

The sighting Wednesday of an enormous cat roaming a field in northern Mississippi has local residents on the lookout – and perhaps a bit on edge.

David Sluder captured video footage of the cat from his vehicle while in a fast-food restaurant line in Hernando. In the footage Sluder posted to Facebook, he says, "Man, I'm 100 yards away from this cat right now. I don't know what kind of cat it is… but this thing is huge."

http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/mysterious-large-cat-mississippi-town-wondering-whats-midst/

• Like 4

I wonder why no one measured the height of the grass to make a few calculations as to how tall the animal was? The animal control officer was there, and likely had a can of bear spray in her vehicle for protection.   

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2017 at 4:21 PM, Goodf3llow said:

mountain_lion_range_map_conservation_letters.png

I’m curious as to how much this has changed since 2012. Probably a lot more than one would think!

Considering I've heard a mountain lion's scream out in the wildness here in Arkansas, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a cougar in the video. It was, undoubtedly, the most terrifying thing I've ever heard.

On 12/21/2017 at 0:52 AM, mortellementpanthera said:

I’m curious as to how much this has changed since 2012. Probably a lot more than one would think!

You might be interested in this article, which states that the Arkansas Game & Fish Commision does believe there are cougars in Arkansas.

http://katv.com/archive/game-and-fish-says-mountain-lions-are-in-arkansas-but-arent-breeding

It should be noted that this is a new development (as in 2015). When I heard the mountain lion, it was during the time in which the AGFC still adamantly denied their presence.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Ghastly Grimoire said:

Considering I've heard a mountain lion's scream out in the wildness here in Arkansas, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a cougar in the video. It was, undoubtedly, the most terrifying thing I've ever heard.

You might be interested in this article, which states that the Arkansas Game & Fish Commision does believe there are cougars in Arkansas.

http://katv.com/archive/game-and-fish-says-mountain-lions-are-in-arkansas-but-arent-breeding

It should be noted that this is a new development (as in 2015). When I heard the mountain lion, it was during the time in which the AGFC still adamantly denied their presence.

Oklahoma officials also denied the presence of mountain lions in the state, up until pretty recently. They simply could not deny it any longer, due to several different pieces of photographic evidence. 

• Like 1