Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do you lose 21 grams when you die?

wrathofkahn

I, myself, have never understood the irrational need for rational confirmation of irrationalism.

• Like 1

its called "dead weight", were they attached to life support the first time they got measured? i bet u that 21 grams is all the tubes and wires hooked up to someone, then after they die everything is removed, and there is your weight change. people get "heavier" after they die because all of their muscles completely stop counteracting the force of gravity.

and as far as losing weight? well given enough time "decomposition" everyone will lose 21 grams eventually. 

Edited by grimsituation6

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

Daddy! You're back from Peru!

Or the dead either or lol

Good to see you mate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grimsituation6 said:

its called "dead weight", were they attached to life support the first time they got measured? i bet u that 21 grams is all the tubes and wires hooked up to someone, then after they die everything is removed, and there is your weight change. people get "heavier" after they die because all of their muscles completely stop counteracting the force of gravity.

and as far as losing weight? well given enough time "decomposition" everyone will lose 21 grams eventually. 

Check the link to Dr Karl's page that I left it illustrates how the myth came to be 

1 hour ago, Hammerclaw said:

I, myself, have never understood the irrational need for rational confirmation of irrationalism.

My sister has been looking into NDE's of late and quoted that scumbag Eben Alexander. I just don't like seeing crooks like that receive any support at all.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

My sister has been looking into NDE's of late and quoted that scumbag Eben Alexander. I just don't like seeing crooks like that receive any support at all.

My brother quotes Joel Osteen, so I do sympathize.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

The experiment is widely regarded as flawed and unscientific due to the small sample size, the methods used, as well as the fact only one of the six subjects met the hypothesis. The case has been cited as an example of selective reporting. Despite its rejection within the scientific community, MacDougall's experiment popularized the concept that the soul has weight, and specifically that it weighs 21 grams.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1i4eiuYzWAhWCeCYKHf2LCvgQFghDMAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F21_grams_experiment&usg=AFQjCNFrt016Wj_PmDuhhW-1Uub1cMdylg

There's also something mentioned about sweating and the fact that dogs don't have sweat glands. In addition, he probably killed a bunch of healthy dogs to arrive at a conclusion he had already decided. 

• Like 5

On 1/8/2005 at 6:37 PM, wrathofkahn said:

How come when a person dies, 21 grams is lifted from their weight? Don't you find that a little eerie? Lemme hear what you guys and gals have to say! blink.gif

The coroner empties their pockets.  

Or consider the fact that while you are alive your lungs are full of air and some water vapor.  When you die, perhaps your lungs collapse more fully and expel all of that air.

If you think a soul has weight, then it is subject to the laws of the universe like gravity and the speed of light.  Something that weighs 21 grams can be detected and captured.  I vote for weightless souls.

• Like 2

Why do we lose 21 months between necroposts in this 2005 topic? Hehehe, just kidding about the 21 months, though this is a rather old topic.

But I do have to wonder about this whole 21 grams thing... Is there more recent information about this? I know we do things like have final exhales and voiding of waste at final death. It's a rather morbid study to weigh folks before and after death to the gram. I'm not sure there have even been studies on this in the last decade or so.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

The experiment is widely regarded as flawed and unscientific due to the small sample size, the methods used, as well as the fact only one of the six subjects met the hypothesis. The case has been cited as an example of selective reporting. Despite its rejection within the scientific community, MacDougall's experiment popularized the concept that the soul has weight, and specifically that it weighs 21 grams.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi1i4eiuYzWAhWCeCYKHf2LCvgQFghDMAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F21_grams_experiment&usg=AFQjCNFrt016Wj_PmDuhhW-1Uub1cMdylg

There's also something mentioned about sweating and the fact that dogs don't have sweat glands. In addition, he probably killed a bunch of healthy dogs to arrive at a conclusion he had already decided. 

I actually completely agree with this. ^ I do believe in the existence of the soul, but the idea that it has a weight is ridiculous.

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:53 AM, Tayler666 said:

Yes your soul is made of energy and yes you can use it to unlock more of your mind you just have to be willing to open and fully sinycronize your mind body and spirit and then I truly believe you can manipulate your surroundings,other people for example you may find the sense if connectivity and I believe that it can help us understand each other/humanity better but we have to understand we are all different so we all carry different energy's that can vary in many levels (what you mentioned before other people lost weight at different times or it took longer well that could have been when the rest if their soul finally left this world/dimension to whatever religion you may have or it could be a endless void like it was before birth) therefore we do not yet possess the technology to test these theory's  

^ This dude just made me a believer in resurrection.

2005-2017

addtext_com_MTgwNjQ1MzQ5MDY.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't care if a soul weighs 21 grams. I'm a ginger, I haven't got one anyway.

I'm one of those weirdo's that has natural brown hair, but grows red facial hair. :blink: Apparently I'm only half ginger.

So does that mean my soul ways only 10.5 grams?

• Like 3

If your soul weights 21g then you could theoretically scoop it out and eat it. What happens to a body that consumes its own soul?

• Like 1

This has been completely debunked elsewhere, but also consider that when we are alive, and then even more so as we die, there are numerous chemical reactions going on, food being broken down, etc, so your weight will change from all of those as well.  Unless that is all properly quantified, such a claim is just ridiculously flawed.  This is a great example of unqualified people pretending to do science when they have no flippin' idea, or they have a desired outcome and don't care about the truth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I thought you lost 21 grams because the drug deal went wrong.

No man ...  the deal didn't go wrong !  I took your money got your 21 grams , no probs. But on the way home the cops saw  me so I ran. The chased me all the way to the beach and I ran out on to the rocks and had to throw it in the ocean ... damn  !   Sorry .

What ! ?    Nooooooo .....  I always look like this !

Image result for Stoned Eyes

• Like 3

I'll just go with what Eric Cartman has proved. When one dies soon he poop's only thing uncertain is if there was 21gr or more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

When someone passes away the weight of arguing in forums is lifted from their shoulders. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 09/11/2011 at 0:07 PM, White Crane Feather said:

Indeed. The soul cannot be energy as we know it. Otherwise we could measure it.... And we can't. The soul is most probably information. That can change and be recorded through and upon different media. possibly super strings or some other thing.

That is neural connections, we know that much and suspect we could create virtual replicas of ourselves at the point of death, or anytime after for that matter. Currently it would take roughly 120,000 years per person to map those connections.

It's not a soul or anything like it, it's a record of ones existence.

Could be the loss of fluids? Gases? This seems more like a question that could be best answered by Google, not on the SvS forum.

Also... why 21 grams? Apparently the notion that you lose 21g when you die is based on a flawed experiment that was conducted 100+ years ago, and that number was derived from one patient out of six patients involved with the experiment, which is a ridiculously small sample size from which to draw any kind of a noteworthy conclusion.

Edited by Nuclear Wessel

A question dismissed, long ago, as unverified and unproven. It's hardly worthy of discussion.

• Like 2