Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do you lose 21 grams when you die?

wrathofkahn

21 grams=electrical energy released when dead=soul.

Not a chance the electrical energy weighs 21 grams.

Ashley, can you tell us more about what you were saying earlier about your experiences regarding this matter?

Edited by Walken

How come when a person dies, 21 grams is lifted from their weight?  Don't you find that a little eerie?  Lemme hear what you guys and gals have to say!  blink.gif

442528[/snapback]

As I recall, this study was too inaccurate to be conclusive. The only three places I've seen this published were "The Weekly World News" and "The National Sun" (both US tabloids), and Pravda (once the Soviet news agency, now they just make things up to get readership). The Weekly World News even published a follow up saying that the same study shows the soul resides in a tiny hollow spot in the sternum.

This is discussed on Snopes (a site many more people should read):

http://www.snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

The conclusion paragraph:

---quote---

What to make of all this? MacDougall's results were flawed because the methodology used to harvest them was suspect, the sample size far too small, and the ability to measure changes in weight imprecise. For this reason, credence should not be given to the idea his experiments proved something, let alone that they measured the weight of the soul as 21 grams. His postulations on this topic are a curiousity, but nothing more.

---end-quote---

It's the 'ultimate' diet plan emily. ;D

• 4 years later...

Yes energy does have weight.

In fact in more then one instance.

If you did or did not have a so called soul either way you would loose some weight from the lack of energy.

For instance light haves mass and energy & yes it is affected by the force of gravity so since it could be effected by the force of gravity it does in fact have mass or weight.

PROOF: Black holes, as light pass close or in proximity to a black hole its gravity pulls light in with its gravity so you could calculate both the weight and force of the black hole based on observations of this.

As far as energy in the form of a voltage or direct current the weight of electrons as they pass through a conductor add the mass of total electrons it gains from its inert static state.

Electrons do have weight it maybe small but it is there.

The only energy that would be hard to explain 2 permanent magnets they never dye they never consume anything yet there force is strong so where does the energy come from? yet it yields weight in its own gravity or force?

With out going into to much theory and the different types of gravity and magnetic forces then energy comes from the alignment of atomic particles since they are all aligned in the object the force is yielded out of the object and observable everything haves the gravity and force its just how the material is structurally arranged so you feel the force from the smaller particles.

Also if we did have a soul it would need mass because what would hold or trap it in our bodys? if it was pure energy with no mass at all it would just pass through body and continue in its own direction and not even be effected by the matter surrounding it for instance our solar system and planet is in motion if our soul had no mass at all and was pure energy it would get lost by other reffrences it wouldnt be able to bind to not have phyical properties.

Edited by K4RM4

K4rM4, welcome to UM. We hope that you enjoy posting and discussing topics with the rest of our members. Please feel free to contact the mod team if you have any questions about this forum.

That said, please avoid resurrecting threads threads more than a year old. If you feel the topic bears discussion, please use the search function up top to find a current thread, or if none exists, feel free to start your own topic on the matter.

I hope you have a good time. :tu:

K4rM4, welcome to UM. We hope that you enjoy posting and discussing topics with the rest of our members. Please feel free to contact the mod team if you have any questions about this forum.

That said, please avoid resurrecting threads threads more than a year old. If you feel the topic bears discussion, please use the search function up top to find a current thread, or if none exists, feel free to start your own topic on the matter.

I hope you have a good time. :tu:

So aquitus, as a mod could you weigh the thread to see if it now weighs 21 grams more than before?

K4RM4... all Im going to say is go back to the books and please tell me what the value of the photons mass is, please, because it actually has no mass.

So does this mean that the soul weighs 21 grams?

If it does then that means that the soul has weight, and is therefore composed of matter. I thought the soul was composed of something other than matter?

what about the waste (poop and stuff!) the body expels when someone dies? Does that count?

laugh.gif I'd sure hate to be in a morgue when that happens

So does this mean that the soul weighs 21 grams?

If it does then that means that the soul has weight, and is therefore composed of matter. I thought the soul was composed of something other than matter?

No, it doesn't.

Read the thread. I gave the original source. Four years ago.

Since when does our spirit contain mass? lol

If it does...I want to go on a soul dietw00t.gif

No, it doesn't.

Read the thread. I gave the original source. Four years ago.

Thanks for the read aq :tu:

I never believed in that stuff in the first place.

Well....I used to but not anymore.

21 grams down....only 300 more pounds to go...

LOL just kidding.

laugh.gif

i heard when you die,since ur not drinking or eating,you body moisture goes away really fast :o

and you poop and pee urself xP

mebe that has somthing to do with it? :3

o man,i hope i die with an empyt bladder.....

• 1 year later...

if it was, gases being expelled it would condense the body. should'nt that increase the body weight??? the human body runs on electricity, some neural networking in the body.

ask your self, if the body dies and our body loses 21 grams as it was proven, and our body rapidly heats up after dieing. (and electricity is a very high form of heat) does'nt that make that neural net work our sole??? i mean the thing that just in our body has to go somewhere.

i heard when you die,since ur not drinking or eating,you body moisture goes away really fast :o

and you poop and pee urself xP

mebe that has somthing to do with it? :3

o man,i hope i die with an empyt bladder.....

if it was, gases being expelled it would condense the body. should'nt that increase the body weight??? the human body runs on electricity, some neural networking in the body.

ask your self, if the body dies and our body loses 21 grams as it was proven, and our body rapidly heats up after dieing. (and electricity is a very high form of heat) does'nt that make that neural net work our sole??? i mean the thing that just in our body has to go somewhere.

<!--QuoteBegin-Fluffybunny+Jan 9 2005, 07:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Jan 9 2005, 07:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin-HolyDevil2053+Jan 8 2005, 11:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HolyDevil2053 @ Jan 8 2005, 11:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->My question is...when is the comparison weight taken? I mean...the before weight of someone that is about to die/ to the actual death weight...when is that done?

442856[/snapback]

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The study actually had people that were in late stages of different fatal disease who agreed to participate. They were placed on a metal table that was hooked to a very precise scale. Everything that went into or came out of the person was weighed precisely(IV Fluids...)

The person stayed on the table until they died, heart and brain monitors were attached to let the doctors know when a person had passed. There were always on the table from when they were in the last stages of death, until after they were dead.

They were continually taking measurements and compared the last measurements taken when the person was still alive and then compared them to the measurements taken shortly after they passed.

442867[/snapback]

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you, in your expert opinion, ever <i>held</i> someone dying? Have you felt the instantaneous loss of weight that happens in the second that changes from life to death? I, unfortunately, <i>have</i>. It's the most horrible, emotionally terrifying thing to hold someone, and then, feel their soul leave the body. It happens in one second flat, not in the long drawn out time you are describing. And this wasn't even with those serious ill in the kind of diseases you are describing. It's their soul leaving, and it happens <i>instantly</i>.

I have held someone as they died and did not feel any weight loss or soul leaving the body.

I have held someone as they died and did not feel any weight loss or soul leaving the body.

21 grams, you won't, 21 grams is 4% percent of a pound. The equivalent of 15 paper clips.

Edited by HavocWing