Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you think of traditional gender roles

Hermai

Outdated and constricting.

Some people just naturally fall outside of the sort of made up social constraints. 

I'm not one of them. I'm pretty girly. But I take notice.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Outdated and constricting.

Some people just naturally fall outside of the sort of made up social constraints. 

I'm not one of them. I'm pretty girly. But I take notice.

Notice?

1 minute ago, Invisig0th said:

Notice?

I take notice of people who don't fit the mold.

And it would be silly and counter-productive to impose it on them. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

I take notice of people who don't fit the mold.

And it would be silly and counter-productive to impose it on them. 

Sure, I agree. I don't think anything should be imposed on anyone.

• Like 1

I often wonder how different things might be if the gender roles were more fluid. 

How might I be different if I had grown up on stories of women being warriors, rather than princesses?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChaosRose said:

I often wonder how different things might be if the gender roles were more fluid. 

How might I be different if I had grown up on stories of women being warriors, rather than princesses?

You never watched Xena? Best of both worlds.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Invisig0th said:

You never watched Xena? Best of both worlds.

Nah, I never did. 

I remember seeing Wonder Woman as a kid. But she was still pretty girly, and just one warrior in a sea of princesses. 

Edited by ChaosRose
  • Like 2

They're mostly in place as a tradition from a time when physically overpowering others meant you were in charge.  Men can overpower women(on average), so throughout history they were generally in charge.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Invisig0th said:

Sure, I agree. I don't think anything should be imposed on anyone.

The vast majority of people fall within the two gender roles.  The expression of those roles varies from culture to culture but they've historically been based on the sex the individual was BORN WITH.  Since the numbers of individuals who fall outside this are minuscule in the grand scheme, they should be treated with respect but have no special rights that leave that vast majority subject to legal sanction for refusing to otherwise accept them or their choices.  IOW they shouldn't be discriminated against in business but they have no right to demand respect for their choice by individuals who don't understand or accept it.  

• Like 5

Roles, that is all they are, human conceptual constructs and thus subject to change.

• Like 3

What do you I think of traditional gender roles?

That they're traditional for a very good and specific reason.

• Like 5

"To thine own self be true." - Typically a good rule of thumb.

Forcing others to fit into a mold regardless of what that mold is, is undoubtedly detrimental. Everyone should be who they truly are on the inside, and the outside should merely reflect this. If most people happen to fit these traditional gender roles, then so be it. If not, then so be it. What matters is that everyone be true to themselves and to who they are within. This isn't to say of course that people should just do whatever they want or feel like doing. It simply means that you should be true to your own personality, thoughts, feelings, desires, and so forth. So long as it does not come to the direct detriment of other people. I see not direct detriment in living contrary to traditional gender roles, so long as those who live contrary to it do not force their lifestyle on those of a more traditional lifestyle, and vise versa.

• Like 4

As with many things, I guess I've really not given it a lot of thought.   But , in general, I guess gender roles were developed for survival....from what the big two genders of our species needed to become good at?  

Men developed the musculature and temperament to be successful hunters, providers and protectors?

Women developed the compassion and skills necessary to care for thier young and families?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Would you send a regiment of Women on a bayonet charge against a regiment of Men?

Do you think we should get rid of gender in sports, i.e. Women and Men compete together?

That has more to do with biology then culture, but culture does indeed have an impact. Biologically speaking, men are more likely to develop bigger muscle tone and be built for more physically demanding tasks then women are, but of course there are plenty of exceptions to this.

The question should be in one's physical aptitude, and whether or not it meets certain requirements. Not in just simply whether one is male or female, as the mere fact that the majority of men are more prone to be more physically adept then women, unnecessarily excludes the exceptions to this rule. In other words, militaries and sports teams should base their requirements of admission on one's own physical ability to appropriately carry out the task at hand. Treat it as each individual's ability, rather than a group's ability as a whole.

Treating everyone as an individual is also a good general rule of thumb as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

Would you send a regiment of Women on a bayonet charge against a regiment of Men?

Do you think we should get rid of gender in sports, i.e. Women and Men compete together?

I wouldn't send men against that, frankly.   But you're not seeing things clearly if you think we can't fight.  Samaurai wives, for instance, were trained to defend the household with spear and other weapons if they were attacked.

Do you remember Kipling's "the female of the species"?  It's rather 19th century, but makes some good points 

•   But the Woman that God gave him, every fibre of her frame 
  •     Proves her launched for one sole issue, armed and engined for the same; 
  •     And to serve that single issue, lest the generations fail, 
  •     The female of the species must be deadlier than the male.

http://www.potw.org/archive/potw96.html

We can certainly compete with and particpate in many intramural sports -- I assure you I'm every bit as deadly as any of the men on the fencing strip.  There have been women placekickers in football and women in many other sports.  Some, like weightlifting, require sheer muscle mass.  In others, such as tennis, it's been proven that they can compete on equal footing.

• Like 2

Biologically, a male human being cannot become impregnated and reproduce a child by natural means alone, and visa versa.

It's gender specific, traditional or not.

That's how nature speaks to gender roles.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChaosRose said:

The inner warrior in me roars!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Will Due said:

What do you I think of traditional gender roles?

That they're traditional for a very good and specific reason.

The rebel tugging at my soul says not always. I am quite young and a Deputy Principal surrounded by men. The Lord blessed me aNd I got the post. And I have to say the men are laid back...makes we wonder how things got done...then on the other hand there are draw backs....so it might me catch 22

1 hour ago, Kenemet said:

I wouldn't send men against that, frankly.   But you're not seeing things clearly if you think we can't fight.  Samaurai wives, for instance, were trained to defend the household with spear and other weapons if they were attacked.

Do you remember Kipling's "the female of the species"?  It's rather 19th century, but makes some good points 

•   But the Woman that God gave him, every fibre of her frame 
  •     Proves her launched for one sole issue, armed and engined for the same; 
  •     And to serve that single issue, lest the generations fail, 
  •     The female of the species must be deadlier than the male.

http://www.potw.org/archive/potw96.html

We can certainly compete with and particpate in many intramural sports -- I assure you I'm every bit as deadly as any of the men on the fencing strip.  There have been women placekickers in football and women in many other sports.  Some, like weightlifting, require sheer muscle mass.  In others, such as tennis, it's been proven that they can compete on equal footing.

I looooooove u. (What u r saying.) Me and hubby always have this debate, he feels women have a place... I feel that having a pre determined place influences confidence and limits the skill one should learn.

I have seen damn good martial arts fighter (school level) being taken down by a girl (got perverse pleasure from that i have to admit). 

I learned there, you might not have the sheer power, but u have to have the skill and observation to defeat your opponent.

• Like 1

They have their place to some degree, but surely are not one size fits all.

Every individual has their own journey to make.

Males shouldn't be thought of less for acting "like men".  Women shouldn't be looked down on for being women.  There should be equal opportunities, but it shouldn't be forced down people's throats.

As long as people are free to live their lives as they want without hurting people everything else should mostly fall into place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, seanjo said:

No one said women can't fight, but the comparable man will always beat the comparable woman. Men have had to make bayonet charges against other men, I ask again would you send women against men?

And I will answer again, yes, so long as these women prove themselves physically adept enough for the task.

I don't know why you keep insisting that we stick to a generalized rule that has plenty of exceptions, rather than just create a physical standard that could be met by anyone regardless of gender. The countless examples of physically adept women poke a tremendous hole in your argument. Yes, men on average are physically stronger then women, but so long as there are exceptions to this (to which there are plenty), then it makes more sense to treat everyone as an individual case, rather then stereotype them based on gender.

• Like 1

It seems like our naturally evolved gender traits and roles are becoming much less relevant in this modern world of living in boxes and interacting electronically?

even children seem to be being "raised" by interacting with a very limited and limiting electronic reality outside of themselves? where  truth/reality is entirely optional and true creativity is devolving.

we are Borg..you will be assimilated...resistance is futile.

Wow,  I think I'd better turn this thing off and go outside! 

Edited by lightly
  • Like 1