Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What do you think of traditional gender roles

Hermai

I just think that traditional gender roles aren't necessary but I'm not exactly against them either - people can do however they feel like suits them best.

On 10/17/2017 at 2:45 PM, internetperson said:

This doesn't help your argument if these women were considered a last line of defense. I do understand women can fight. Apparently when magellan was off the shores of south america they found half naked women and they sent their best looking guy out to the beach to talk to them. The biggest one there bashed him on the head then they cooked him on the beach. When native americans attacked settlers the women were reported to have fought 'just as viciously as the men' (I may have butchered that and they were reported to fight more viciously). However again, in this case they were protecting kids in the wagons and were the last line of defense.

The flip side of gender roles is men are just a bunch of ogerish dummies. I imagine if all you had to do was have an army made up of women and they'd dominate all the men then someone throughout history would have proven this to be true. 

It's not just in humans either other mammals are typically similar, right? 

I agree with you that if women can compete in a sport and perform as well as men then they should be able to play. But again the placekicker thing really doesn't help your argument, it further proves the point that men are generally going to physically dominate women in aggressive physical sports. This is why the gals that would be the superstars in football are the exception. Keep in mind the men that play don't simply walk into the field. They are the exception of men. 

I agree the roles need to be relaxed. 100% agreed. I played on a pool APA league a few years ago and women were given a starting advantage which is bull****. Even if there weren't exceptions to size differences in men and women and it was a black and white matter pool has zero physical nature about it. It's not a sport it's a game. Such bs. I hope they changed that rule.

Anyway your post reminded me of this for better or worse:

Im pretty sure Dee breaks her ankle the next time she kicks a ball. And here she is after being tackled.

e5106ce81c96b6d2c27b5fe7f81b7b41.jpg

But in fairness, men fail too.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2017 at 4:42 PM, Invisig0th said:

Sure, I agree. I don't think anything should be imposed on anyone.

tell that to liberal with their bathroom laws.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2017 at 5:21 PM, Wickian said:

They're mostly in place as a tradition from a time when physically overpowering others meant you were in charge.  Men can overpower women(on average), so throughout history they were generally in charge.

They also existed for thousands upon thousands of years for one basic good reason which many (not all) of today's kids seem to have trouble understanding. 

Women can give birth to offspring. Men can not. Women, couldn't be out fighting off invaders while nursing their children or being in the middle of a pregnancy. 

I almost get the impression at times that "young adults" today, after having been out of school for a few short years, feel that the "old ways" of living are "being imposed" upon them. 

The "old ways" were not "imposed" upon anyone. Life worked how it worked because that was the only way humans could have survived. If a tribe or village had been "progressive" and role gender "fluid" they'd have been slaughtered in a heart beat by men hell bent on doing what everyone did. So it wouldn't have worked. 

Maybe some that believe gender roles are "outdated" may want to at least understand two things before making assumptions. One, people of the past lived and survived the best they could (and they did a damn good job of it, we are still here after all) and two, people that live their lives in the more "traditional" gender roles, aren't trying (not that I see anyway) to impose it upon others. 

If you do not like it live how you want but it is common courtesy to allow others to choose for themselves (not saying you do not, just saying in general). 

That's my 2 cents on the subject.

(I was not directing my remarks at any given individuals, just a generalized point of view)

Edited by Sooth Sayer
Spell check

• 10 months later...

As a person who happens to be the female gender, I fully support men having equal rights. In the workplace, I promise not to check out buns and fronts all the time, talk to your crotch, or go out of control if I see you with a bare chest or in revealing shorts. I don't think your gender is required to wear a tie and I like bald heads, long hair, and man buns equally. I fully support your right to be paid the same as a woman if you should choose a career dominated by women, but you better be able to do that job. Whether you can live on that pay is not my concern.

I support your right to be a full-time house husband and father, should that be your choice. I will support you in your efforts to get a vasectomy and tell any doctor who wants you to get my permission first or refuses to do it until you are over 30 and already have three kids that he is being sexist and insulting. Should you decide to remain single or not have kids, I will not call you selfish or badger you about who will take care of you when you're older or why you don't want to fulfill yourself. I won't guilt trip you about grandkids for the parents, embracing your natural function, or your responsibility to the human race, either.

I promise not to patronize you for not being a traditional husband and wanting to work for pay if that's what you want, and I will respect you by understanding you don't belong to me if we get married. I also understand that if I lay a hand on you, I will kill you the first time because if I don't, I will certainly live to regret it.

How's that for gender roles?

Edited to add: As long as we're talking about sports, I've been watching the equestrian show jumping lately. For those who didn't know, the equestrian events have both men and women competing equally.

Edited by rodentraiser
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, and then said:

but they have no right to demand respect for their choice by individuals who don't understand or accept it.  

So by that logic, if I don't understand your choices, or accept them, then I shouldn't have to respect them?

What an interesting concept.

• Like 1

I think traditional gender roles are great if that person enjoys it. Some women certainly enjoy being a stay at home mom, cooking dinner and not playing sports, etc and some men enjoy chopping wood and playing no blood, no foul street basketball.  However it should be noted that there are many job fields where most men and women simply don't even apply for. For example while I'm sure there are a few male secretaries out there, it's not a job position very many males seek out and likewise there would probably only be a handful of females out there that can be competitive in professional sports, maybe more in street sports. 

Our society is certainly trying to move away from any and all roles of identification but it's going to take a few generations to make everything equal and in complete fair treatment. Maybe even some technology to balance out the physical aspect of things.