Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

London fire chief calls ban on 'firemen' term

Still Waters

The head of the London Fire Brigade has condemned the use of the word "firemen" as "outdated" and said it should be scrapped to encourage more women to enter the profession.

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton is urging the nation to stop using the term as part of a drive to encourage more women to become firefighters.

She said: "The first woman firefighter joined London Fire Brigade in 1982 and it's ridiculous that 35 years later people are still surprised to see women firefighters or calling them firemen.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-fire-chief-calls-for-ban-on-the-outdated-term-firemen-because-it-puts-women-off-joining-a3659226.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Still Waters said:

The head of the London Fire Brigade has condemned the use of the word "firemen" as "outdated" and said it should be scrapped to encourage more women to enter the profession.

London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton is urging the nation to stop using the term as part of a drive to encourage more women to become firefighters.

She said: "The first woman firefighter joined London Fire Brigade in 1982 and it's ridiculous that 35 years later people are still surprised to see women firefighters or calling them firemen.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-fire-chief-calls-for-ban-on-the-outdated-term-firemen-because-it-puts-women-off-joining-a3659226.html

Im not against female firefighters at all but it takes a special type of female to be able to fully do the job.  No matter how much you encourage their joining there will always be a very large disparity between the numbers of male vs female firefighters. 

Hmm as I was typing I realized I dont ever use the term firemen but I think thats a US  verbiage thing 

• Like 2

I'm normally suspicious of this sort of "top down" social engineering. However, in this case, it seems perfectly reasonable. The term "firefighter" seems entirely sensible ?

• Like 6

Let's just call 'em Firefighters and leave it at that ... in Malaysia we just calls 'em all 'Bomba' ... both the men and women ...

bomba.jpg

~

• Like 5

Yeah, firefighter sounds way cooler anyway.

• Like 2

Since when did fireman refer only to males? 

What next?   Ban all reference to sheepdogs (henceforth to be known as ram and ewe canines

The new term that is to be used is "Fire puter-outer person - unless of course the individual in question self identifies as something other than a 'person' in which case they are to respectfully be referred to as what-ever organism (or non-organism as the case may be) that they - of whichever of the currently approved 93 separate genders (or lack of genders) that individual (or self perceived grouping of individual(s)  as the case may be) may self identify themselve(s) as at that particular time."

• Like 3

Firefighter sounds fine to me. 

Is there some reason it shouldn't be? 

3 minutes ago, ChaosRose said:

Because Firefighter Sam just doesn't have the same ring to it :P     Though I admit it's still better than Postal Delivery Operative Pat (and his black and white cat) :o

• Like 2

They're firefighters.  They fight fires with coolness (literally), style and awesomeness.

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/10/2017 at 0:51 AM, ChaosRose said:

Ohh good deity of choice, can you not SEE the violence inherent in the word “fighter”? 

• Like 3

My old Nan and her generation use to call them "fire bobbies" because at the time the fire and police where combined. I've always called them firemen and will continue to do so like everyone else. I doubt the Fire authority choosing to officially drop fireman will alter the word spoken on the street by the people.

• Like 2

Perhaps we should go Aussie and just call them Firies? 

• Like 2

A male fire commissioner just gets on with the job of being a fire commissioner.

A female fire commissioner forgets about being a fire commissioner and instead bleats on about "sexism" and "sexist language" and "misogyny", all things which have nothing to do with the job.

Get on with the job, love. All you're doing us showing you were promoted four being a woman, rather than on merit.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2017 at 0:56 PM, third_eye said:

Let's just call 'em Firefighters and leave it at that ... in Malaysia we just calls 'em all 'Bomba' ... both the men and women ...

bomba.jpg

~

Good luck if you ever need a heavy object lifting off you in a burning building if a bunch of women turn up to do the job.

1 minute ago, Black Monk said:

Good luck if you ever need a heavy object lifting off you in a burning building if a bunch of women turn up to do the job.

That's somewhat misogynistic of you, each have their part to play and if they do their part of the job well then its a job well done, men or women ...

~

1904102_10151976321046762_43519887_n.jpg

~

1 hour ago, third_eye said:

That's somewhat misogynistic of you, each have their part to play and if they do their part of the job well then its a job well done, men or women ...

~

1904102_10151976321046762_43519887_n.jpg

~

Strange hose.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stevewinn said:

Strange hose.

Not recommended ... that's a King Cobra, and that lady is famous among the Bomba for successful captures ...

~

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...