Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
pallidin

San Diego hepatitis A outbreak

6 posts in this topic

Death toll hits 19 in San Diego hepatitis A outbreak

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/10/18/death-toll-hits-19-in-san-diego-hepatitis-outbreak.html

 

Health officials in San Diego tallied another death linked to a massive hepatitis A outbreak on Tuesday, bringing the total number of fatalities to 19. The updated data also saw an increase in the number of San Diego’s confirmed cases, with the total now surpassing 500, the LA Times reported.

The outbreak has spread to other Los Angeles counties, and prompted Gov. Jerry Brown to declare a state of emergency last week in order to provide easier access to vaccines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, pallidin said:

Death toll hits 19 in San Diego hepatitis A outbreak

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2017/10/18/death-toll-hits-19-in-san-diego-hepatitis-outbreak.html

 

Health officials in San Diego tallied another death linked to a massive hepatitis A outbreak on Tuesday, bringing the total number of fatalities to 19. The updated data also saw an increase in the number of San Diego’s confirmed cases, with the total now surpassing 500, the LA Times reported.

The outbreak has spread to other Los Angeles counties, and prompted Gov. Jerry Brown to declare a state of emergency last week in order to provide easier access to vaccines. 

Doesn't surprise me at all. Here is what Hepatitis A is and how it can be caught...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs328/en/

Edited by Uncle Sam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Uncle Sam said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. After they made that ruling that transmitting STD knowing is a misdemeanor, we see a large spike in Hepatitis A outbreak.

Um, Sam... Hepatitis A is a  common water and food borne pathogen spread through fecal matter contamination, and not just a STD. In the context of the OP article, it's more likely the homeless are spreading the HepA through unsanitary conditions rather than sexually transmitting it to each other.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Uncle Sam said:

Doesn't surprise me at all. Here is what Hepatitis A is and how it can be caught...

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs328/en/

So what do you think caused it?

Quote

Key facts

  • Hepatitis A is a viral liver disease that can cause mild to severe illness.
  • The hepatitis A virus (HAV) is transmitted through ingestion of contaminated food and water or through direct contact with an infectious person.
  • Almost everyone recovers fully from hepatitis A with a lifelong immunity. However, a very small proportion of people infected with hepatitis A could die from fulminant hepatitis.
  • The risk of hepatitis A infection is associated with a lack of safe water, and poor sanitation and hygiene (such as dirty hands).
  • Epidemics can be explosive and cause substantial economic loss.
  • A safe and effective vaccine is available to prevent hepatitis A.
  • Safe water supply, food safety, improved sanitation, hand washing and the hepatitis A vaccine are the most effective ways to combat the disease.

It seems Hep A is mostly obtained through unsanitary practices.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rashore said:

Um, Sam... Hepatitis A is a  common water and food borne pathogen spread through fecal matter contamination, and not just a STD. In the context of the OP article, it's more likely the homeless are spreading the HepA through unsanitary conditions rather than sexually transmitting it to each other.

I edited my post after I realized my mistake. I was thinking of something else at the time... my bad.

https://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/understanding-stds-basics

Quote

STDs are sexually transmitted diseases. This means they are most often -- but not exclusively -- spread by sexual intercourse. HIV, chlamydia, genital herpes, genital warts, gonorrhea, some forms of hepatitis, syphilis, and trichomoniasis are STDs.

I was thinking of Hepatitis B.

Edited by Uncle Sam
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why don't we get vax from hep A? my wife tells me everyone in ussr was given this shot in school, almost every soviet immigrant has hep A Antibodies in their blood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.